Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34J Windsport
State: Louisiana
THOR #15123
New (& Old) Mods for my 34J

My upgrades started when I bought the MH, before even taking it home. After test drive, had the dealer install Safety Plus Stabilizer. Upon returning home from Baton Rouge, about a 70 mile trip, including good section of I10, We agreed we needed the assistance of Sumo Springs.

After our first trip, we confirmed the issues with sway, and interstate traffic. We never did the CHF, just went straight to Sumo. After install, that MH handles 200% better. A local approach ramp to Hwy, I could take it at about 8-10 mph...after Sumo install, 25 - 30 mph...No over steer corrections while in turn... A lot better ride also, especially on Interstate Highways.

Now, we had to address some issues that occurred while driving and getting setup at camp. The wife being 5'2", couldn't reach the floor in front seat, so we got a Office Footrest, adjustable. No all is good w her...

Did some research on tuning the Ford V10, and decided on the 5 star. After install, noticed a tremendous difference in Rollout when taking off, throttle response and definitely shift points at peak Torque for the V10. Climbing Interstate overpasses with no downshifting showed increase in torque alone. Haven't checked fuel mileage yet, but seems to have improved overall.

After reading the forum for the last three days, I will start the sound deadening process and insulating the doghouse...

NOW...my pet peeve is keeping the MH clean, and always had issues with grease splatter when cooking. So, a trip to Amazon for a few things to remedy that problem. Two (2) suction cups w straps and a 3 x 6 Vinyl Banner for a backsplash did the trick...

Now time for insulation and heat issues with the doghouse. Been searching that for a couple days and seems to have everything I need on Amazon...

Mo Money !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Footrest.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	17140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuner.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	17142  

Name:	Backsplash 3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	17143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backsplash 4.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	17144  

Name:	backsplash 1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	17145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backsplash 2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	17146  

Old 05-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Most excelent

I need to pull the trigger on the 5 star tune.... I been thinking about it for about a year now.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:19 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Most excelent

I need to pull the trigger on the 5 star tune.... I been thinking about it for about a year now.

I hear nothing but good about it. Especially on coaches with the 5 speed transmission. I’m considering it as well but at over $400 it’s a bit salty. Let us know if you go for it.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #4

THOR #15123
Quote:
Most excelent

I've researched since purchase, but I've owned Dodge Diesels since '98 and every one I put a tune into, changed for the better, so I did a little homework, and after my calculations, It should pay for itself with 23 Fuel stops. My last 2010 Ram 3500, tuned in tow mode got 15 MPG pulling a 32' TT that was about 8500 lbs...

I also bought the Banks Cold Air setup, I've been looking for a K&N filter with no luck. I've also owned high HP cars that just a CAI made a difference on the Dyno, so I thought it couldn't hurt...Cleaner, cooler air always will be better...
Old 05-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Yeah but on a Gas engine like ours.... your lucky to get .5 mpg increase in fuel economy (if at all - some say a little less). So dont purchase it for the fuel savings. Purchase for more power and better shifting etc. That way you wont be disappointed.

Retail is $550.00 now... Pretty steep.

But Motor Home Mag has been advertizing for a few months a "$100 off" coupon and the IRV2.com had a group deal for like 20% off?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 05-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
Ford IRV2 Group Buy with The 5 Star Tune - 5 Star Tuning

I love the outdoor backsplash. I usually try to get away from my RV but on rainy days that doesn't always work. Your solution will come in handy.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #7

THOR #15123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYoshida View Post
Ford IRV2 Group Buy with The 5 Star Tune - 5 Star Tuning

I love the outdoor backsplash. I usually try to get away from my RV but on rainy days that doesn't always work. Your solution will come in handy.
Came in very handy and was easy to clean, even after cooking 6lbs of Pork for Street Tacos...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pork Street Tacos.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	17208  
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie
pmbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbreaux View Post
Came in very handy and was easy to clean, even after cooking 6lbs of Pork for Street Tacos...
Pork tacos!!! I want to camp with you . I like the back drop might need to copy that. Love my Blackstone 22 but hate the splatting grease. I put a layer of aluminum foil over my table. Makes clean up easy

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #9

THOR #15123
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Pork tacos!!! I want to camp with you . I like the back drop might need to copy that. Love my Blackstone 22 but hate the splatting grease. I put a layer of aluminum foil over my table. Makes clean up easy

Jerry
That is usually my Sat afternoon hobby when camping, I love to cook and I do specialty things when camping. This was one...and made homemade coleslaw and Pico de' gallo to accompany the pork...UMMM UMMM !!!!
Old 05-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #10

THOR #15123
Well...next upgrades I didn't get any pics.

I ordered the combo kit with the 5 Star Tuner and the Banks Cold Air kit. Not sure how much difference it will make, but I seen dyno results before and it does make better power, especially with a tune. Install wasn't too bad, the wife and I did in about an hour.

Did notice the next upgrade will be insulating and sound deadening the Doghouse and under driver area...

Will have pics and after thoughts next weekend, when we have another trip planned...
Old 05-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

THOR #15123
Exhaust Clean up

Well, my OCD kicked in after walking around the 34J a few times and didn't like what I was seeing. Those exhaust tips were not in my nature and needed to change...

So after a few measurements, a trip to Amazon, a couple minutes cutting and installing, it's all better now...

Stainless Steel exhaust tips on generator and Engine exhaust...

Cut the Engine Exhaust back to the elbow and attached a 12" bolt on that put the exit at an angle to the RV...

Now my nerves are all better...Thanks Amazon, LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	17303   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	17304  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	17305   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	17306  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	17307  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Quote:
Well, my OCD kicked in after walking around the 34J a few times and didn't like what I was seeing. Those exhaust tips were not in my nature and needed to change...

So after a few measurements, a trip to Amazon, a couple minutes cutting and installing, it's all better now...

Stainless Steel exhaust tips on generator and Engine exhaust...

Cut the Engine Exhaust back to the elbow and attached a 12" bolt on that put the exit at an angle to the RV...

Now my nerves are all better...Thanks Amazon, LOL

Paul, those exhaust tips look great. Do you mind sharing the Amazon links? I have the exact rig and would like to do this.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #13

THOR #15123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
Paul, those exhaust tips look great. Do you mind sharing the Amazon links? I have the exact rig and would like to do this.
Here are the exhaust tips. I cut it back to there the 45 end on tailpipe, and I think it looks good, tucked away...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #14

THOR #15123
Well, the mods continue...

Dog House Insulation

Order Kilmat from Amazon and installed on Dog House Sunday afternoon, made a big difference in sound and heat. I installed over the insulation as it was coming apart in small pieces when trying to remove. Will be doing under floor area this coming weekend. Should me a lot better.

I know I'm not the only one who has fought with the damned bolts to hold down the Dog House...but I have a solution. I will be installing studs to easier align to install and raise up / down to put a capped nut on end to bolt down...

Window Tint

ALSO...I've seen many threads and comments about stopping heat transfer into MH from outside and fought with the idea of Foil material hanging out to stop heat...WELL, I found my fix. My local Tint Guy sold me on some Ceramic Tint that block 99% UV and also infared heat. We installed Limo Tint on all windows except bottom fronts. Still same Ceramic tint, but legal color, now the wife can ride in front seat on a afternoon drive to camp.

Had all tint done and name for rear window for $620.00.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dog house before.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	17565   Click image for larger version

Name:	dog house done.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	17566  

Name:	tinted windows.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	17567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear name.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	17568  

Old 05-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #15

THOR #12231
Excellent mods. I insulated under my dog house and under the dash (from under the hood) and fire wall the first month I owned my RV.

I also did the ceramic tint last year. I had the Cermic "Clear tint" (Actually 15% tint) on every single window including the front windsheld. Made a tremendous difference. Unless we are stopped for a while.... I dont even bother with my reflective bubble in the windows anymore. Before I had to install in every single window in order to keep the RV cool inside when it was in the upper 90's outside.

I like your chome exhaust extensions. That might be one of my next mods. The turn down tip looks appropriate for an RV. I dont want to make my RV look like a Hot Rod wanta be.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Quote:
Well, the mods continue...

Dog House Insulation

Order Kilmat from Amazon and installed on Dog House Sunday afternoon, made a big difference in sound and heat. I installed over the insulation as it was coming apart in small pieces when trying to remove. Will be doing under floor area this coming weekend. Should me a lot better. (snip)
It looks like you've used some additional metal tape for your install on top of the adhesive backing of the Kilmat. Is that Noico brand?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #17

THOR #15123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
It looks like you've used some additional metal tape for your install on top of the adhesive backing of the Kilmat. Is that Noico brand?
Yes it is... seems to "button up" the seams, especially when rolled w roller.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:56 PM   #18

THOR #15123
Quote:
Excellent mods. I insulated under my dog house and under the dash (from under the hood) and fire wall the first month I owned my RV.

I also did the ceramic tint last year. I had the Cermic "Clear tint" (Actually 15% tint) on every single window including the front windsheld. Made a tremendous difference. Unless we are stopped for a while.... I dont even bother with my reflective bubble in the windows anymore. Before I had to install in every single window in order to keep the RV cool inside when it was in the upper 90's outside.

I like your chome exhaust extensions. That might be one of my next mods. The turn down tip looks appropriate for an RV. I dont want to make my RV look like a Hot Rod wanta be.
I can tell you how good the Ceramic Tint is now...Went into my MH to install my updated 5 Star tune, 93* outside, sat in MH for 15 min without breaking a sweat. Seems dark and cool inside with no heat transfer in cockpit from windows. (shade was down also).

Very good upgrade, and you can still see out the windows when parked, over the foil...