Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
New Sway Bars

I just purchased a set of sway bars for my Ford E450 Class C. They are made by Hellwig (7180 rear sway bar, and 7718 front sway bar).

I am going to try and install them myself, but I need to know the torque specification for both sway bars. The Hellwig installation instructions simply states to torque them to published specifications.

I cannot find either a Haynes or Chilton's for the E450, and I really don't want to spend $100+ for a Ford shop manual.

Has anyone installed these sway bars yourself, or do any of you know what the torque specs are for the sway bar bolts; front and rear?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #2

Model: 2014 Four Winds 22e
State: Illinois
THOR #1715
75-80 ft.lbs on the sway bar end link bolts
25-30 ft.lbs on the bushing clamps to frame\axle mount

These are FoMoCo specs.....Don't see any reason aftermarket would deviate from factory specs. Remember to use anti-seize on threads if you have it handy
Old 03-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRacing24 View Post
75-80 ft.lbs on the sway bar end link bolts
25-30 ft.lbs on the bushing clamps to frame\axle mount

These are FoMoCo specs.....Don't see any reason aftermarket would deviate from factory specs. Remember to use anti-seize on threads if you have it handy
Thanks much.

I'm sure the instructions were referring to the Ford specs as they did not provide any themselves.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #4

Model: 2014 Four Winds 22e
State: Illinois
THOR #1715
You'd think for the money of the sway bars they'd at lest supply the FoMoCo factory specs.....

Maybe you can help me ??

Just about ready to replace front tires, shocks & steering damper @ nearly 50k miles with Michelin LTX M/S2 & Bilstein. I have the Ford specs for E-350 front end alignment but door sticker says front end is set to final Coach mfg specs. Do we have that information here ?? Also, I have used Bilstein shocks before (off-road), but never on a "over the road" vehicle. Are they worth twice the money over standard shocks for on-road service ??
Old 03-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #1327
Does Ford /Thor recommend any particular swat bars for the Axis/Vegas?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRacing24 View Post
You'd think for the money of the sway bars they'd at lest supply the FoMoCo factory specs.....

Maybe you can help me ??

Just about ready to replace front tires, shocks & steering damper @ nearly 50k miles with Michelin LTX M/S2 & Bilstein. I have the Ford specs for E-350 front end alignment but door sticker says front end is set to final Coach mfg specs. Do we have that information here ?? Also, I have used Bilstein shocks before (off-road), but never on a "over the road" vehicle. Are they worth twice the money over standard shocks for on-road service ??
I use Bilsteins on my race cars, street cars, and previous motorhomes - in my opinion they are well worth the added expense . In each case I have found the damping spot on, with a good compromise between compliance and control. I work with their race engineers on the race cars, and they have been excellent in giving me custom valving. I will soon have Bilsteins on my Vegas...

Btw- start with the Ford specs, but you may want to add some addn'l caster for stability...
Old 04-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen49 View Post
Does Ford /Thor recommend any particular swat bars for the Axis/Vegas?
Since the Axis/Vegas is built on an E350 chassis, I would expect you would buy them for that characteristic.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I finally received both sway bars and am going to have the Ford garage look at them on Monday. I kind of wanted to do it myself, but I don't relish working under the moho on my driveway which is not quite level.