Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.2
State: California
THOR #9323
Chf ace 30.2

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but.....
Took my ACE 30.2 to a mechanic to see if he can do the CHF. To my surprise he said he could but wouldn't do it as it cause too much stress on the stabilizer bar ( i think that's what you call it) and it will crack.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2018, 11:26 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Issued my trusted truck suspension guy about both the CHF and a steering stabilizer. He discouraged both. I’m doing the stabilizer anyway and haven’t decided about the CHF. Mostly because I am quite satisfied with how it drives now.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:27 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
That should be...I asked my trusted truck suspension guy...
Old 04-30-2018, 01:05 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
There are many many cases reported of the benefits and advantages of the CHF and a steering stabilizer on the Ford F53 chassis. I have never seen reported a case of sway bar failure resulting from the CHF. What possible downside could there be from installing a steering stabilizer/dampener? I can testify to the great benefits to drive ability and handling with each ... after aligning the front wheels of course.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:18 AM   #5

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
Chf 30.2

I just did it myself last weekend, took an hour and I had a helper. Most of my time was figuring out how to lift and stabilize the motorhome which I over complicated. I am very happy with the preliminary results. First longer road trip coming up this weekend. There are tons of post on this and other forums, with the large number of people making this modification since 1999, there sure aren’t many if any reported problem from making the modification. I found the front easier than the back and that the front mod seemed to have more positive results than the back. Used 15mm open end, 17 mm socket with torque wrench (80 lbs), and bottle jack to lift the stabilizer arm. There is a bolt, nut and two washers on each side in front. I would also add that there just “happens” to be two holes already present, looks like a normal preference setting more than a modification to me.