Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #6335
Seat belts

I was wondering if anyone has added seat belts to there dinette.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Most dinettes have seat belts on the forward facing seats, lift up your cushions, they may already be there.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
My ACE has seat belts for the forward faceing seats. Must be standard equipment.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #4

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Added seatbelts to ACE 30.2 dinette and sofa

While seatbelts were in my dinette at purchase (one forward facing, one backward facing) there were only two sets, not four. The dinette seats four, so I added two more sets (also one more set on the sofa so my ACE has seatbelts for 9, the same number it can sleep). Before ordering seatbelts check on the combined length of the ones in the coach, and make sure to order ones at least that length. The ones we ordered were the same brand that came in our coach. Our dinette is on the slide, so we mounted the seatbelts on a long thick steel bar which was then mounted to the slide using the original seatbelt bolts for each bench in the dinette. No bars needed for the sofa side. It was not a hard job and now everyone has a choice of seats.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
While seatbelts were in my dinette at purchase (one forward facing, one backward facing) there were only two sets, not four. The dinette seats four, so I added two more sets (also one more set on the sofa so my ACE has seatbelts for 9, the same number it can sleep). Before ordering seatbelts check on the combined length of the ones in the coach, and make sure to order ones at least that length. The ones we ordered were the same brand that came in our coach. Our dinette is on the slide, so we mounted the seatbelts on a long thick steel bar which was then mounted to the slide using the original seatbelt bolts for each bench in the dinette. No bars needed for the sofa side. It was not a hard job and now everyone has a choice of seats.
Thank you
We have seat belts 2 forward facing but when the grandchildren are with us they like to sit at the table and play games.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
One problem with rear facing seats is no head rest, in even a minor frontal collision there could be significant neck or back injury. Just a word of caution!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #7

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Headrests, what headrests

Unless seated in the driver or front passenger seats, my coach has no headrests for forward or rear facing passengers, or even sideways seated ones (the sofa).
Old 04-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Texas
THOR #6917
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
One problem with rear facing seats is no head rest, in even a minor frontal collision there could be significant neck or back injury. Just a word of caution!
Any accident in a large coach, seatbelt or not, its gonna go bad for everyone. The only "headrests" in the drive and passenger. All others are in big trouble.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:51 AM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
These aren't passenger cars... You need to make your own assessment on the risk of existing seat belt seating - and any additions you might make...
My 2000 coach had no belts in rear facing seats - specifically labeled not for use when vehicle is in motion...
(The 2000 didn't even have a shoulder belt for the driver/passenger - found that surprising... Both have it in the 2014.)

My 2014 has both front and rear facing belts in the dinette... Guessing it was more that people were using the seats anyway rather than something changing to make it safer.

Personally in my coaches config - I view the rear facing dinette seat as the most dangerous... In a rear collision - head meets table. In front collision as SuperD said - significant neck/back injury possible...
The front facing dinette still has the head meets table issue (in that case for a front collision) but for a rear collision - the slide wall would prevent excessive rear movement of the head/neck.

A severe enough crash - obviously all locations have their risk... but I don't like the rear facing dinette seat in even a minor incident.

Again just my assessment - and affects where I put the 'precious cargo' when they are along.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:33 AM   #10

State: Alberta
THOR #15099
Do you have pictures of the dinette rear facing seatbelts you’ve installed? I would like to do it too!
Old 04-24-2019, 02:02 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post

Yes. If your head is going to fly around the coach during a collision, you want to be sure your body is flying around with it.