Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Pole barn for our Axis

After a 6 week wait, we're finally getting the new home for our Axis installed. Not finished yet but I backed her in to see how she'll fit. Once barn is done, we'll level and pave it with asphalt millings, then I'll add water and electric hookups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pole barn1.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	7436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pole barn2.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	7437  

Old 10-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
Very nice...
Old 10-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #8256
Love it. I want one.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Your rv will enjoy her new digs. Under a roof is so much better than being exposed to the elements.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
After a 6 week wait, we're finally getting the new home for our Axis installed.
What are your dimensions ? Ron is planning on building one on our property. For many years, have stored our various rvs, during winter, at a retired farmers buildings. We could have paid for a pole barn a long time ago !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Looks similar to what I am building for our ACE. I'm not that far along, hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have started on the rafters/trusses.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #7

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
What are your dimensions ? Ron is planning on building one on our property. For many years, have stored our various rvs, during winter, at a retired farmers buildings. We could have paid for a pole barn a long time ago !!
Its 32' long, 14' wide and 12' high at the sides. Roof will overhang about a foot and a half on each end, making overall roof about 35' long. Could be maybe 1 1/2 ft. shorter at sides and still fit the Axis, which, according to Thor's specs is 11' 3" high. My barn will be about 15' high at the center. I built it a bit bigger in case we get a taller RV someday. At 14' wide, its got plenty of room to open slide, door, etc.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Sweet! Green with envy!!! Shade is great, but it will be even better to have protection from the trees. Will you be finishing the ends or leaving them open?

BTW, when I had my 2016 Vegas 25.2 weighed, they measured the height at 11' 3" which is what the Thor specs said.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
The #1 best accessory for an RV is a covered space. Everything on the outside, especially the roof, will benefit by hiding from the sun. IMHO, anyway.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #10

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Sweet! Green with envy!!! Shade is great, but it will be even better to have protection from the trees. Will you be finishing the ends or leaving them open?

BTW, when I had my 2016 Vegas 25.2 weighed, they measured the height at 11' 3" which is what the Thor specs said.
Haven't decided how I'll finish the ends yet, if at all. May leave them open as they face north & south. Enclosing them would increase wind-loading, increasing possibility of wind damage. Manufacturer claims these barns will withstand winds up to 135 mph but I don't want to test that. As you know, hurricanes are frequent 'visitors' here in FL and we're still suffering the effects of Irma.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bowe View Post
The #1 best accessory for an RV is a covered space. Everything on the outside, especially the roof, will benefit by hiding from the sun. IMHO, anyway.
I agree. Our Class C was under covered parking offsite and it held up nicely. Our van has been parked on driveway and I just had to have roof painted -- granted it's much older. You can see the difference in cars too.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #12

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
After a 6 week wait, we're finally getting the new home for our Axis installed. Not finished yet but I backed her in to see how she'll fit. Once barn is done, we'll level and pave it with asphalt millings, then I'll add water and electric hookups.

About how much does something like this cost? Trying to decide if this would be less expensive than one of those where the crew sweeps in and builds a metal shed in a day. Don’t mean to be too personal just trying to find an option I can afford.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
That Pole Barn is Su-WEET!
...And now I'm also officially jealous...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #14

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
About how much does something like this cost? Trying to decide if this would be less expensive than one of those where the crew sweeps in and builds a metal shed in a day. Don’t mean to be too personal just trying to find an option I can afford.
Cost varies depending on materials, color of roof metal, etc. Also, delivery costs will be dependent on distance from manufacturer to your location. Mine, with the standard aluminum colored roof metal, delivered and set up was $3800. Manufacturer is located in Brooksville, FL, about an hour and a half drive from my place. Manufacturer of mine is Affordable Buildings, LLC, Affordablebuildingsllc.com Good folks to do business with.
My youngest son has bought 3 of their pole barns over the past few years and has a leanto addition on order now, to add another 12 ft of width to the one he keeps his 28' center console off shore fishing boat under. He, along with his neighbor, installs his own but he has the equipment, youth and agility to do it.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
We keep looking at those metal barn kits...
The cost keeps scaring us away, after we figure out what the site preparation will have to entail...

(Since the best site is at the top of an incline: we'd need to also figure out an uphill ramp that doesn't monkey-up our yard too much! )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #16

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Cost varies depending on materials, color of roof metal, etc. Also, delivery costs will be dependent on distance from manufacturer to your location. Mine, with the standard aluminum colored roof metal, delivered and set up was $3800. Manufacturer is located in Brooksville, FL, about an hour and a half drive from my place. Manufacturer of mine is Affordable Buildings, LLC, Affordablebuildingsllc.com Good folks to do business with.

My youngest son has bought 3 of their pole barns over the past few years and has a leanto addition on order now, to add another 12 ft of width to the one he keeps his 28' center console off shore fishing boat under. He, along with his neighbor, installs his own but he has the equipment, youth and agility to do it.

Thanks will have to check them out
Old 10-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #17

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
You could do roll down sides like on tents. Are you going to add a sewer line?
Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #18

State: Delaware
THOR #8608
Very nice .I live in Delaware pole barn kingdom lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #19

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonguy52 View Post
You could do roll down sides like on tents. Are you going to add a sewer line?
No sewer line planned. Am looking in to a mesh material that offers 95% UV protection (according to manufacturer) for roll down on the west side. This is it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop
They also say it allows breeze to flow thru, also a good thing. East side is protected from sun by trees.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Jealous!