Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A Question About Adding an Inverter...

Hi Guys!
So the Missus and I were in Walmart this morning, and I was kicking around in the automotive section...
Low and behold...
They have some stuff in there for RVs!
I actually saw an inverter (1KW) on the shelf...
My question:
Since I've got two house batteries: would 1000 watts be sufficient, or should I look for something a bit larger for our Class C Outlaw?

Thanks!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Hi Guys!
So the Missus and I were in Walmart this morning, and I was kicking around in the automotive section...
Low and behold...
My question:
Since I've got two house batteries: would 1000 watts be sufficient, or should I look for something a bit larger for our Class C Outlaw?

Thanks!
You don't size the inverter for the RV you size the inverter for what you want to run off of it.

First go through the appliances you have that you'd likely want to run off of the inverter and add up their watts. You won't find an inverter large enough to run the A/C so leave that out (and the microwave for that matter).

Once you have your total watt # look for an inverter of that size or a bit larger. You can also use the watts value to figure out the current draw from the battery (watts=volts*amps, thus 600watts of power draw would be 50 amps draw at 12V...keep in mind the inverter isn't 100% efficient so it will draw a bit more current than that).

You can then use the current value to figure out how long your existing batteries will last with that power draw.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
At least I now know how to figure this out...

...with Math!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Jamie is spot on, it is about what you want to run on the inverter. For some, it is the entertainment systems. For others, it could be the fridge (and maybe also the entertainment systems.) I would think a 1KW inverter would work fine for entertainment or to power a residential fridge (probably not both though.) We have an 1800W inverter that handles the residential fridge and the entertainment systems.

FYI, not all inverters are the same. There are pure sine wave (PSW) vs. modified sine wave (MSW) inverters and the PSW inverters are more expensive but better handle electronics as they mimic the AC power from a generator or shore power. MSW inverters are cheaper as they use a square wave and can mess up sensitive electronics.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #10354
what Watt

Just for your info. I put in a 1200W sine wave inverter from AIMS that includes a transfer switch (which you will need) for around $169.

The TVs will take around 60 Watts each and they may be happier with a pure sinewave but probably fine with the approximate sine ones (referred to as "modified sinewave) because of the TV's internal switching power supply will act accordingly. The modified sinewave will be a little harder on the TV's internal capacitors but they have a 10-15 year life.

The microwave in my unit (Veagas 25.2) takes right around 800 Watts and the covection oven takes just over 1000 Watts.

I think 1200-1800 Watts is about the ideal range but you still have to be careful about all of the loads you would be running at the same time.

Amazon has the Aims 1200 W true sinewave and it is a very good deal. You should also buy the remote switch running the wiring through cabinets to a convenient wall control location.

If the inverter malfunctions, like many of the issues post here about losing power, you will also lose the generator/shorepower for these appliances because the transfer switch needs to be operating (12V DC input) for the transfer switch to connect the external AC power in when the inverter is turned off. (so it's not really completely off).
Old 04-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #6

THOR #10354
Refrigerator power

My refrigerator consumes around 300 Watts to heat it's internal "boiler" when the gas is not active.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
1200 to 1800 pure sine wave... Got it!
Old 04-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
I run a 800 Watt Pure Sine wave inverter connected to the general circuit of my RV. During the day with solar I switch the Fridge to electric and run it off the inverter. In the morning I make two cups of coffee from a 1000 watts Kerig (knock off) coffee maker. The output of the general circuit from the RV breaker panel, and the inverter go into a 15W automatic transfer switch where the output of the transfer switch goes to the general circuit plugs of the RV. On the general circuit are the TVs, DVD, laptop, tablet and cell phone chargers. I use Victron Energy components, and a Xantrex automatic transfer switch. All the lights in the RV are LED and I have 300 AH of battery capacity. I may run the generator before supper to either use the microwave/convection, instapot, air fryer. The 800 Watt inverter is sufficient for me.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My Missus likes power... The more: the merrier!
Old 04-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Jamie is spot on, it is about what you want to run on the inverter. For some, it is the entertainment systems. For others, it could be the fridge (and maybe also the entertainment systems.) I would think a 1KW inverter would work fine for entertainment or to power a residential fridge (probably not both though.) We have an 1800W inverter that handles the residential fridge and the entertainment systems.

FYI, not all inverters are the same. There are pure sine wave (PSW) vs. modified sine wave (MSW) inverters and the PSW inverters are more expensive but better handle electronics as they mimic the AC power from a generator or shore power. MSW inverters are cheaper as they use a square wave and can mess up sensitive electronics.
Actually, it's motors that don't like the MSW inverters. Most electronics just take the AC and rectify it to DC anyway so the MSW makes no difference UNLESS it is cheap electronics with little or no filtering of the rectified DC output. With poor or no filters the high frequency harmonics get through and mess with the DC circuitry.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Pure Sine wave technology: got it!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:28 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

.....cut....

First go through the appliances you have that you'd likely want to run off of the inverter and add up their watts. You won't find an inverter large enough to run the A/C so leave that out (and the microwave for that matter).

.....cut......

Not likely at Walmart, but there are plenty of inverter choices that can power an A/C and or microwave. Personally, I wouldn’t go to trouble of adding a permanent inverter unless it could power microwave or coffee maker — one at a time. That would likely put inverter in minimum range of 1,500- to 2,000-watts.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm not too worried about having to run the AC units... it's the microwave and at least the one BIG TV that are my main concerns.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post

.....cut....

The microwave in my unit (Veagas 25.2) takes right around 800 Watts and the covection oven takes just over 1000 Watts.

.....cut.....
This has been covered before, but as a general reminder, microwave power ratings are usually the cooking power rating. The amount of electrical power they require is roughly 50% more than that.

As an example, a typical 1,000 watt microwave requires around 1,500 watts of electric power. I have a tiny van-size 700-watt microwave and it pulls just over 1,000 watts of electricity.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Actually, it's motors that don't like the MSW inverters. Most electronics just take the AC and rectify it to DC anyway so the MSW makes no difference UNLESS it is cheap electronics with little or no filtering of the rectified DC output. With poor or no filters the high frequency harmonics get through and mess with the DC circuitry.
Seiki TVs... 'nuff said.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:35 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #5875
Our Hurricane came with a 1000 watt pure sign inverter, the TV's, DVD player and associated outlets and outside mini fridge are the only thing that are powered through the inverter.
When the outside fridge is left plugged in and the living room TV is on with a Playstation plugged in and operating, any time the fridge compressor kicks on the inverter will throw an AC overload code and shut down.
Long story short, more power and more inverter is the way to go.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:52 PM   #17

State: Alabama
THOR #8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Hi Guys!
Low and behold...
My question:

Thanks!
Bob..
My 29h came with a 1000w inverter..powers the TV's...sure yours doesn't have one?
Old 05-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #18
sip

THOR #5882
I wired my inverter only to the inside receptacles circuit (#3 on the 24.1 I think). That basically powers the TVs and the few non-GFCI outlets in the rv that we use for things like cell/laptpo chargers, game console, and occasionally charging hand held vaccum, flashlight etc.

It's nice to have an auto transfer switch so the inverter can power the circuit automatically when you turn it on. The one I got had a transfer switch built in but you can buy them separately as well.

The important thing is keep the power lines to the battery as short as possible and use the proper gauge for the length you run.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama57 View Post
Bob..
My 29h came with a 1000w inverter..powers the TV's...sure yours doesn't have one?
checking the specs right now...
Old 05-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I'm with Chance...1800 minimum. More is always better. you'll start testing it and you'll be pleased with reserve.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote