Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Texas
Rain gutter

Does any of the Thor motorhomes have a rain gutter? We have had our MH now for about 3 weeks and already have black streaks. Cant believe that the money spent on these and Thor cant put on a gutter. I just ordered a 80 foot roll, now time will tell how that goes...

mustang94@hot.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:36 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Challenger 37ND
State: Virginia
A rain gutter will not stop your black streaks. Had them on my prior coach and I believe they caused more black streaking by concentrating the water drainage in one area.

2015 Thor Challenger 37ND
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:50 PM   #3

Hmmm.... did you have the extension to move water away from couch? We had them on our 5th wheel and worked great. But time will tell...
Old 03-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
We also had the extensions on our 5th wheel which kept most of the streaks away.

I had to keep buying new extensions though since one of our favorite campgrounds is pretty tight with trees!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:18 AM   #5

Model: 2015 Challenger 37ND
State: Virginia
I had extensions on 3 of the 4 corners. On the right rear the awning arm was so close to the end of the gutter an extension could not be used.

What I witnessed during a rain was the water would flow to the end of the extension and then wrap around the underside of the extension and flow down the side of the coach. This is the same concept they use for the gutter helmets.

Also, and I have noticed this with the current coach, the majority of black streaks occur around items such as window frames, the mounting points for the awning, and around the door which has a make shift rain diverter installed. Gutters and gutter extensions on my prior coach did noting to eliminate those black streaks.

Now, I am planning on putting gutters over the windows. One of my warranty items was a water leak coming in the bathroom window. The water was actually coming in the inside window frame and running down the interior wall. This only happened when there was a heavy rain or melting snow that accumulated on the top edge of the window. Having a gutter on the top of the windows would keep water from accumulating in that area and prevent a leak. On my coach the bathroom window had to be removed and resealed to stop the leak. Luckily there was a 9 inch snowfall while the coach was at the dealer for its warranty visit and the dealer observed the leak first hand.
2015 Thor Challenger 37ND
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:14 AM   #6

Not sure but some one correct me if I am wrong.... The black streaks is nothing more than build of road dirt, dust and what not on top of motorhome and then when the AC condensation rolls off the roof collects all that dirt then deposits is on you nice clean paint....
Old 03-10-2016, 02:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We also had the extensions on our 5th wheel which kept most of the streaks away.

I had to keep buying new extensions though since one of our favorite campgrounds is pretty tight with trees!
Oh the joys of getting into those tight spots we love so much.... LOL....