Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
[QUOTE=Beau388;176063]There are simple electronic boxes the allow reception of over the air channels the can be recorded on a hard disk or SSD for later viewing. All that I know of require a coax or HDMI connection to the TV. Several have radio frequency remotes. You would need a box for each TV to watch separate channels simultaneously. To get signals from you house to the smart TV in your house you need a router and some cases an extender. The problem is how do you get signals from the cable TV box to the router. The easiest thing is to subscribe to DirecTV now or Hulu and watch what you want through your cellphone.

The Cable companies are losing too many customers so most allow you to stream (with internet connection) Live TV Channels and on Demand programs to your laptop or other mobile devices (tablets or Cell phones) when you are home or away on vacation.

If your cable company allows this (Spectrum, Comcast, Optimum Do) then you don't need to buy unnecessary gadgets or pay for other subscriptions.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:05 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you can watch your shows at home with the Spectrum apps all you have to do is get your wifi out to the RV and connect up the smart TVs to the house wifi.

If the TV's can already see the home wifi you don't need anything just install the apps on the TVs and watch...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you can watch your shows at home with the Spectrum apps all you have to do is get your wifi out to the RV and connect up the smart TVs to the house wifi.

If the TV's can already see the home wifi you don't need anything just install the apps on the TVs and watch...
Since I'm about as ignorant about this stuff, as Hogs are about the Sabbath:
Can you please try to explain what this means?
(I'm parked about fifty feet from the house, and I can grab Wi-Fi signals from both the home, and my office...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Go into RV's setup menu and log into your Home's Wifi.
Or if you have Hotspot on your phone log on to your phone. Do u use Netflix or any thing like that?
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Since I'm about as ignorant about this stuff, as Hogs are about the Sabbath:
Can you please try to explain what this means?
(I'm parked about fifty feet from the house, and I can grab Wi-Fi signals from both the home, and my office...)
Smart TVs can stream video from the internet. In the TV's menu somewhere you should be able to connect up to the WiFi.

Now the question is which interface do the smart TVs use? Are they Roku? Vizio? SOB? (LOL!)

You should be able to use the smart TVs menu to find the Spectrum App/channel (Roku's term for an app), install it, and watch your streaming channels (the app/channel will ask you to log in with your Spectrum credentials).
Old 04-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #26
Site Team

THOR #7074
Bob the easiest thing to do on this Sunday might be to go and purchase a roku stick and go through their 4 minute set up and you will be online with your TV and then go from there. If you don't like it take it back but we know you have tons of cash lying around for God sake you're driving a new Tiffin pulling your pet kangaroo around good luck today.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Bob the easiest thing to do on this Sunday might be to go and purchase a roku stick and go through their 4 minute set up and you will be online with your TV and then go from there. If you don't like it take it back but we know you have tons of cash lying around for God sake you're driving a new Tiffin pulling your pet kangaroo around good luck today.
If his TVs are already "smart" there is no reason to try to make them "smarter" by buying the same functionality that is already in there.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They're LG TVs, and are WAAAAYYYyyyy... smarter than I am.
I'll take a run at this technology this afternoon.
Thanks guys!
Old 04-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
If his TVs are already "smart" there is no reason to try to make them "smarter" by buying the same functionality that is already in there.
I agree 100% was just figuring he could connect easier for him & at least get connected. If he does have a SMART TV. one of the inputs is screen sharing turn on on phone also and wirelessly connect. That's what I use.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
LG Smart TVs use "webOs", here is a tutorial:
Old 04-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #31

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Hi Guys!
An odd thought occurred to me, so I figure that one of you will have the answer!
Is it possible to transmit the signal from the input lane to your home cable TV box: to your Smart TVs that are resting in your motorhome?
Here's the situation:
We have Spectrum Cable TV in the house, and three LG smart TVs in the rig...
Is there some sort of wireless transmitter/receiver system available; that would allow me to "backyard camp", and still get to watch my TV?
DOn't know what an "input lane" is. But, many providers offer this....as does mine, comcast. You can log into your account through a computer, tablet or phone and get to your On Demand or programs you've DVRed anywhere. So, any of the thousands of free movies (or pay for that matter) from On Demand or any of the stuff you have on your DVR can be seen remotely. If you want it on your RV TV, use an HDMI cable from computer, phone or tablet to tv and you have it...same with other devices.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #32

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
DOn't know what an "input lane" is. But, many providers offer this....as does mine, comcast. You can log into your account through a computer, tablet or phone and get to your On Demand or programs you've DVRed anywhere. So, any of the thousands of free movies (or pay for that matter) from On Demand or any of the stuff you have on your DVR can be seen remotely. If you want it on your RV TV, use an HDMI cable from computer, phone or tablet to tv and you have it...same with other devices.
That's exactly what I do, though my cable company (Optimum) doesn't give me access to dvr content, though I can set and delete dvr content using my laptop.
When I am away I use my laptop (with wifi) and I get content directly from the network (Live & on Demand) through the networks website, I use my Cable company account to log in. My laptop is connected to my TV with a VGA cable and use the audio (headphone jack) to my in dash radio to power the speakers throughout. the rv.

Most cable companies allow this, it is part of your cable package, the cable companies are losing to many customers to other streaming services.

I also use a Firestick, for other content.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #33

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
That's exactly what I do, though my cable company (Optimum) doesn't give me access to dvr content, though I can set and delete dvr content using my laptop.
When I am away I use my laptop (with wifi) and I get content directly from the network (Live & on Demand) through the networks website, I use my Cable company account to log in. My laptop is connected to my TV with a VGA cable and use the audio (headphone jack) to my in dash radio to power the speakers throughout. the rv.

Most cable companies allow this, it is part of your cable package, the cable companies are losing to many customers to other streaming services.

I also use a Firestick, for other content.
Sometimes I have to adjust the aspect ratio between computer and tv but that's no big thing. Thanks to those cable companies. There's always Taligater but then you get under some trees and you're toast.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #34

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Does the $60/month cover the ISP charges, or is that just for the tv channels? How are you getting internet service on the road via satellite?

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
LG Smart TVs use "webOs", here is a tutorial:
That dang thing is even smarter than I thought!