Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Articulating TV Arm - Windsport 27K

On my 2015 Windsport 27K, the outside Seiki TV is mounted to a rigid metal bracket inside the RV's TV compartment.

I would like to remove the existing bracket and replace it with an articulating (and lockable) TV arm. Has anyone accomplished this?

The challenge is finding an articulating arm that is extremely slim when stowed. The depth of the TV compartment is 4.75". The narrowest arm I've found so far specifies about 2.5" of depth and I think the TV will extend out too far to allow the door to close.

Anyone tackled this successfully?

Old 06-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #2

State: Ohio
THOR #989
Tom, Last winter I saw a 27K that had a swing out tv on a RV dealers lot in FL. It wasn't a 2015 as it had different head lights than our 2015 Windsport. I wonder if Thor Customer Service could tell you where to find the right parts. Good Luck.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
On my 2015 Windsport 27K, the outside Seiki TV is mounted to a rigid metal bracket inside the RV's TV compartment.

I would like to remove the existing bracket and replace it with an articulating (and lockable) TV arm. Has anyone accomplished this?

The challenge is finding an articulating arm that is extremely slim when stowed. The depth of the TV compartment is 4.75". The narrowest arm I've found so far specifies about 2.5" of depth and I think the TV will extend out too far to allow the door to close.

Anyone tackled this successfully?
Thor uses MORryde mounts <http://www.morryde.com/products/151-pull-out-tv-wall-mount?return=%2Fproduct-category%2F1-tv-mounts>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:57 PM   #4

THOR #2154
Thanks Jim & John for the quick posts. I did find some early threads where others have installed articulating arms on earlier RV models like mine, but the exact mounts they used a few years ago aren't available any more. The ones they used then retracted to take up just 1" of depth. I have a feeling Thor started making the TV compartments a little deeper once the moving arms became a thing.

I'm going to order one that retracts to just over 2" and see if it fits. If not, I can see how to make it work by recessing the back wall of the TV compartment to make up enough clearance.

Always an adventure! :-)
Old 06-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The back if my outside TV is mostly under the kitchen sinks. It sits behind a false panel which can be removed. It has the MORryde clip-in fixed mount.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:09 AM   #6

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The back if my outside TV is mostly under the kitchen sinks. It sits behind a false panel which can be removed. It has the MORryde clip-in fixed mount.
Exactly right! My plan is that if the bracket I ordered is too thick, I can cut a whole in the TV compartment back wall and recess the bracket back as much as needed. I'll post the results. It's a "secondary" project right now, as my Onan has failed and troubleshooting points to a problem with the slip rings/brushes so, yea, always something!

Tags
tv articulating