Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 12:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #11336
Recommendations for Captain Chairs

We are newbies and are on our first trip since purchasing a 2016 Thor Vegas 24.1. We are preparing to go cross country from CA to GA soon.

We are finding the seats very difficult to deal with. In addition to being way too high for someone 5'3" the forward/backward lever is extremely difficult to pull and makes changing position between drivers an ordeal.

I would like to replace the chairs with some really comfortable captain chairs that would be powered and lower to the ground.

We would also like to replace the couch with a dual recliner.

I've been to the Shop4seats.com site and they have a nice selection but I'm hesitant to purchase online without trying them out first or reading some reviews.

Can anyone recommend replacements?

Old 06-21-2018, 12:27 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
If you are ever in SoCal area, Shop4Seats is in LaHabra and they have an impressive showroom so you can try them out.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:30 AM   #3

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
seats

i replaced my drivers seat with a truckers air ride, my bad back could not take the vibration and jolting of the stock thor seat, this week is my first trip with the new seat and it is awesome, no back problems
Old 06-21-2018, 01:04 AM   #4

THOR #11336
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
i replaced my drivers seat with a truckers air ride, my bad back could not take the vibration and jolting of the stock thor seat, this week is my first trip with the new seat and it is awesome, no back problems
Captmetal, that is very intriguing. May I ask what seat model you purchased?

2016 Thor Vegas 24.1
Currently San Jose CA, Soon Ellijay GA
cathandcarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:04 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #618
We replaced our couch and booth with Lazy Boy "wall huggers" they can be reclined without hitting the wall. I moved the table to the front of the coach and use the drivers and passenger chairs for dinning. We have two tables between the recliners.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #6

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathandcarrie View Post
I did the same thing on my ACE. The stock seat was WAY too high and stiff. I replaced it with a "Bostrum Wide Ride" air powered seat which I ordered from Suburban Seating. (I also installed a small air compressor to operate the seat.) Name:  180x234_p4569-Z-BOS-0702(590x850).jpeg
Views: 2967
Size:  5.7 KB
Old 06-21-2018, 10:45 PM   #7

THOR #6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathandcarrie View Post
I BOUGHT MY SEATS FROM "KNOEDLER" FRENCH CANADIAN COMPANY had the best choice, i bought all options except heat/cool
Old 06-24-2018, 12:23 AM   #8

Model: 29.2 ACE
THOR #11409
Did you install the seat yourself or choose to have it installed
Old 06-24-2018, 01:27 AM   #9

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
I did mine myself.

The base of the Bostrum seat is much broader than the small 4 hole pattern of the original post mount. I had to get a quarter inch thick aluminum plate the same size as the Bostrum seat base. Then I bolted the new seat base to that plate, and then was able to position bolt holes through the plate into the most suitable mounting points through the floor.

I got the little air compressor from the same supplier and bolted it on to the front horizontal frame member, just behind the front plastic grill. Then it was just a matter of routing a quarter inch air line from the compressor, up through the floor under the seat.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:05 AM   #10

THOR #6831
i installed my own seat and like don i had to make a adapter plate. also th seat is rather heavy as i had everything built in by factory
Old 06-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #11

Model: 29.2 ACE
THOR #11409
Don, captmetal

I appreciate the reply back. I have a 2012 and find the seat from thor is just to high it's just uncomfortable on top of having a bad back.
I have even attempted to add a base board 2 x 6 to support my feet and legs. The base board stopped my legs from falling asleep however did absolutely did nothing for my back, this seat is like seating on a block of foam with no support.
I have a long trip (all of August) coming up and would like to resolve this beforehand.
Once again thank you.

Jeff Vanmeerbeek
Old 06-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
if height is the issue you can get pedestals in differing heights. Or it sounds as though you are manual. Electric is easy to install if you can get them. I have a pair for sale that I took out of mine (bought new to match our theater seating) in the classified section.

FWIW
Old 06-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #13

State: North Carolina
THOR #11045
Captain chait

Go 2
https://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/express-shipping-program/de-leon-chariot-package.html
Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Just added a 6 way power unit

This was my solution. I just changed the pedestals , added a 6-way power unit, kept the existing chairs.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...ade-11804.html

We then drove it 5,000+ miles and were very comfortable.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:59 PM   #15

State: Florida
THOR #7188
Cut and weld

My wife is 5'4" and could not touch the floor with the stock seats. My stock pedestals were 11": probably 9" would be best for you, but are over $200. They are not hard to change. Anyway, I cut 1-3/4" out of the pedestal main post and re-welded it, but only the driver's side. It did not take long - a welding shop would charge way less than new pedestals. The passenger side is about right for the fold out desk. We put spacers under the carpet on the passenger side. We tried spacing up the floor on the driver's side but that made getting to the foot controls dangerous. I am 5'9" and think the new position is more comfortable.

Adjusting the seat forward and backward or swiveling is made unnecessarily difficult by the decorative "skirts" that attempt to hide the ever so ugly seat base... what? Get the skirts out of the way to see if that helps.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #16

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoar View Post
My wife is 5'4" and could not touch the floor with the stock seats. My stock pedestals were 11": probably 9" would be best for you, but are over $200. They are not hard to change. Anyway, I cut 1-3/4" out of the pedestal main post and re-welded it, but only the driver's side. It did not take long - a welding shop would charge way less than new pedestals. The passenger side is about right for the fold out desk. We put spacers under the carpet on the passenger side. We tried spacing up the floor on the driver's side but that made getting to the foot controls dangerous. I am 5'9" and think the new position is more comfortable.

Adjusting the seat forward and backward or swiveling is made unnecessarily difficult by the decorative "skirts" that attempt to hide the ever so ugly seat base... what? Get the skirts out of the way to see if that helps.

You can get shorter pedestals. Since I added the 6-way power unit I went with 5.5" but they have 6.5 and 8" ones too. Mine were only $40 each as I recall but I was in Elkart and din't have to pay shipping. My Vegas bolt pattern was 7" square so I got that those and no drilling was required.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #17

State: Wisconsin
THOR #10872
We just recently replaced the couch in our 24.1 with recliners from RecPro. We love the comfort upgrade. We did our own installation as it was very easy to do ourselves. We have lots of photos and some instructions in our blog post below.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Upgrading from couch to recliners in Thor Vegas 24.1
Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Many thanks to those that posted Shop4Seats. I went down there Saturday. They make the RV Furniture there in La Habra but they also have a nice line of Theater Seating for the home. I am buying a sofa for the house this week. I have to decide what I want for the RV, captains chairs or replace the dinete or both. I was very impressed with their quality. Most pf the RV seating is made to order. If you want you can call them at 800-454-1801. I believe they also have a location in Texas.

www.shop4seats.com
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
You can get shorter pedestals. Since I added the 6-way power unit I went with 5.5" but they have 6.5 and 8" ones too. Mine were only $40 each as I recall but I was in Elkart and din't have to pay shipping. My Vegas bolt pattern was 7" square so I got that those and no drilling was required.

Where did you get your 6-way power unit?
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #20

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Where did you get your 6-way power unit?

Factory RV Surplus in Elkhart IN

More info at my Post

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...ade-11804.html

Tags
chairs, recliners, seats