Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Great. Sound like you have it figured out.

Not sure if I would blow foam - You might want to add vents down the road and that sound permanent (I think I will add two vents that dump rigth before the bunk in the upward position.

I block that AC air channel with some sticky back frost king. If you do blow foam just do a few inches that way you can drill it out if you need to at a later date.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #42

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Great. Sound like you have it figured out.

Not sure if I would blow foam - You might want to add vents down the road and that sound permanent (I think I will add two vents that dump rigth before the bunk in the upward position.

I block that AC air channel with some sticky back frost king. If you do blow foam just do a few inches that way you can drill it out if you need to at a later date.
Progressing well with yours and others help and advice. Air is blowing cold now with good airflow. New vent installed, baffle secured, and have blocked the open ends in the duct system. It's 92 right now with real feel of 103. Humidity is nasty and I'm sitting in here about to turn the thermostat up as it's getting chilly. I think one AC is going to work in the 24.1.

Got the dog house is insulated with dynomat extreme and hood liner. Currently cutting the extreme for the under carriage insulation and I can now see what you are talking about where it needs to go.

I used one sheet of hood liner for the dog house. Where would you suggest I put the 2nd one?. Do I need to cover all of the extreme and if so would one of the big box alternatives suffice?

Thanks again for your time and help.
Bill
Old 08-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #43

THOR #12231
Sounds like your having fun. LOL. I would cover as much as you can with the Dynamat Extreame then followup with the fat mat (3/4 Inch) insulation eveywhere you can (within reason). Im very happy with my results but we can never be as quiet as a DP.

Im glad the AC mods worked for you. Im happy with my AC now. I had mine in the sun yesterday afternoon. It was 92 deg with high humidity and the inside was 73 in the middle and 75 in the bedroom with all the window shades down. But I started the AC before it got hot outside so it never was above 82 inside when I started.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #44

THOR #12484
Fun? That was tough and I have the little finger cuts and blood spatter to prove it. I'm sure it will be worth it. Haven't gone anywhere yet but cranked it up and it's super quiet. I am grateful for all your help.

I'm to the dash AC issue, alignment and wheel balancing and should be ready to hit the road. Very smooth riding until over 75 and then looses balancing. Much better driving than the 36 and 32 foot rv's I've had. Little sway, steering is tight enough and trucks haven't been a problem. Don't think I will need any improvements there. It drives about as good and stable as the sprinter van RV I just got rid of. I'll see when I run into some wind.

Bill
Old 06-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #45

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Question for those who have used Dynamat in doghouse:

Will 1 roll of Dynamat under hood insulation, measuring 32" x 54" x 3/4" thick be enough to cover inside of an Axis/Vegas doghouse? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #46
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
Question for those who have used Dynamat in doghouse:

Will 1 roll of Dynamat under hood insulation, measuring 32" x 54" x 3/4" thick be enough to cover inside of an Axis/Vegas doghouse? Thanks!
Should be. That was enough to fix the original foil insulation on my ACE doghouse, add a second layer of Dynamat over the entire doghouse and a third layer in the center of it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:05 AM   #47

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #14093
I used one roll of Dynamat in my Axis doghouse and the leftovers went to cover the firewall (after removing the carpet) on the driver side. But this would not help a lot. I was very disappointed. So, I purchased another roll of 3/5" thick soundproofing/fireproofing, self adhesing insulation by Elfin and one roll of Boom-Mat Under-Hood Thermal Acoustic Lining 3/4" thick. I used that for the hood and inside engine comparment. The other insulation was inserted inside the dashboard. I removed every piece of dashboard I could and packed every possible area with the insulation. Now, that did the trick. I was on the road yesterday for several hours and for the first time we were able to listen to the radio, have a normal voice conversation with the passenger and I could even hear my wife who was sitting in the back of the couch. What an incredible improvement. I will use the rest of the insulation in my front wheel bays. I highly reccomend insulating your rig as much as possible. You will enjoy driving the coach even more. Happy 4th!!!
Old 07-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #48

THOR #12231
Yep, I keep finding more areas to add insulation. It never stops for me. LOL.

It cut out so much heat and sound..... this is the way it should have been from factory (IMO).

I even tried some of the acoustic foam and stuck in spots under the dash and elsewhere but I dont really think it works. You need a hard barrier like Dynomat then follow up with the Fat Mat 3/4 inch stuff. Both have foil on it. That helps the most IMO.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 09-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #49

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Montana
THOR #16625
Quote:
You need a hard barrier like Dynomat then follow up with the Fat Mat 3/4 inch stuff. Both have foil on it. That helps the most IMO.

I'm not sure if I am looking at the right Dynamat stuff. The Dynamat and the Fat Mat look almost identical. Why use both instead of just twice as much of one?

Fat Mat
https://www.amazon.com/FatMat-Hood-L...gateway&sr=8-9

Dynamat
https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11905...ywords=dynamat
Old 09-09-2019, 11:27 PM   #50

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Check out https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
half the price of Dynamat.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #51
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
Check out https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
half the price of Dynamat.
And 1/10th as thick?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:03 AM   #52

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Quote:
Yep, I keep finding more areas to add insulation. It never stops for me. LOL.

It cut out so much heat and sound..... this is the way it should have been from factory (IMO).

I even tried some of the acoustic foam and stuck in spots under the dash and elsewhere but I dont really think it works. You need a hard barrier like Dynomat then follow up with the Fat Mat 3/4 inch stuff. Both have foil on it. That helps the most IMO.

Have to strongly agree on this post. I use the tar-foiled Dynamat on anything not metal under my hood in the Hurricane 34J, and then added the 3/4” foam Dynamat on top of everything. Made sure to wear a junk t-shirt as I had some very interesting bending/leaning positions to do this and got grease stains all over.

I was all sweaty and dirty and wondering if it was all worth it.

It was. Like was said earlier, we can’t really hear the engine running unless we stand on the gas pedal and have it drop down to the lower gears due to a big hill or in passing. Cab is also cool as a cucumber. It’s quieter than one of the cars that we have and should have been shipped this way.

Btw, took extra Dynamat (both kinds) and wrapped up my A/C covers & also did the same around my generator.

My genny’s much quieter now and my A/C maintains a noticeably cooler temp as well.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:05 PM   #53

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwray View Post
Have to strongly agree on this post. I use the tar-foiled Dynamat on anything not metal under my hood in the Hurricane 34J, and then added the 3/4” foam Dynamat on top of everything. Made sure to wear a junk t-shirt as I had some very interesting bending/leaning positions to do this and got grease stains all over.

I was all sweaty and dirty and wondering if it was all worth it.

It was. Like was said earlier, we can’t really hear the engine running unless we stand on the gas pedal and have it drop down to the lower gears due to a big hill or in passing. Cab is also cool as a cucumber. It’s quieter than one of the cars that we have and should have been shipped this way.

Btw, took extra Dynamat (both kinds) and wrapped up my A/C covers & also did the same around my generator.

My genny’s much quieter now and my A/C maintains a noticeably cooler temp as well.

Yeah, What Cwray said..... us the thiner asphalt first then follow with the thicker suff. I used some of the Noico brand but its not as sticky as the Dynomat and Fat Mat brand IMO.

I also used some Fatmat around the generator area (On the access door + floor of the RV ) but it really didnt much much difference since all of the sound come from underneath my RV (not from the side and not from the exhaust). And I have to leave the bottom open so it dont over heat the genes. I have some cardboard I can lay one side of the RV to redirect the sound if needed. You can also put down some cheap carpet pieces down to help absorb sound (not reflect) the sound with causing an overheating problem.

Yeah my RV cab area is very quiet (and cool) now unless your accelerating. Im very happy with the results as well.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:58 AM   #54

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #16529
I will insulate the dog box soon as it certainly gets hot on my 2018 A class. I just coated the front windshield which helped reduce the steps but more than 75 percent. For this that have insulted the floors of an A class seems like it will be challenging getting around all the mechanicals down there but iM sure worth it.

Armando
Old 09-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #55

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstopMiami View Post
I will insulate the dog box soon as it certainly gets hot on my 2018 A class. I just coated the front windshield which helped reduce the steps but more than 75 percent. For this that have insulted the floors of an A class seems like it will be challenging getting around all the mechanicals down there but iM sure worth it.

Armando
What to you mean you "just coated the front windshield which helped reduce the steps but more than 75 percent" ??

Coated it with what? Coated with RainX? 75 % of what? Heat? Or did you "TINT" your front windshield?

This is very confusing. Perhaps you come up with something new that reduces heat just by "Coating" something?
Old 09-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #56

THOR #16529
Quote:
What to you mean you "just coated the front windshield which helped reduce the steps but more than 75 percent" ??

Coated it with what? Coated with RainX? 75 % of what? Heat? Or did you "TINT" your front windshield?

This is very confusing. Perhaps you come up with something new that reduces heat just by "Coating" something?

Your post is very confusing as well, if you are unsure about something why not just ask the question instead of going of on a rant........

I installed a ceramic window film on the front windshield, most auto tinters will have access to the product , I chose the lightest as to not affect visibility during night time driving.

Armando
Old 09-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #57

THOR #12484
Quote:
Your post is very confusing as well, if you are unsure about something why not just ask the question instead of going of on a rant........

I installed a ceramic window film on the front windshield, most auto tinters will have access to the product , I chose the lightest as to not affect visibility during night time driving.

Armando
Did you have the chance to use the reflectix before the tint?. Curious how it compares. That Florida sun is a beast and wondering if the tint would completely replace the need for the bubbles.
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #58

THOR #16529
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
Did you have the chance to use the reflectix before the tint?. Curious how it compares. That Florida sun is a beast and wondering if the tint would completely replace the need for the bubbles.
I used the stock vinyl pull down curtain with a reflector for a few weeks and I felt very little difference, the ceramic film is amazing and we now can sit the captains chairs without any discomfort .

Armando
Old 09-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #59

THOR #12231
Quote:

Armando
A "rant"..... That was not a "Rant". I was just asking him to clarify. I dont see anything confusing about it at all. Sorry you misunderstood it.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #60

THOR #12231
Quote:
I used the stock vinyl pull down curtain with a reflector for a few weeks and I felt very little difference, the ceramic film is amazing and we now can sit the captains chairs without any discomfort .

Armando
Yeah, ceramic is the best. We did ours last spring. One of my best mods.

Tags
class c doghouse heat, class c heat, doghouse heat, passenger floor heat