Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #2240
Replaced Awning LED light strip

Hi All,
As my original awning LED strip had multiple browned out or failed emitters when I got it, thought I’d try replacing it.
I used this very cheap and cheerful replacement, thinking if it didn’t work or only lasted a season… no big deal.

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Mul...9%3ASUPERNIGHT

It was very easy to do, I just removed the awning tube end cap (supporting the full extended awning on step ladders to carry the weight). Spliced in the new power lead and left the controller box inside the awning tube, feeding the IR sensor and flat connector lead to the outside through the existing hole.
The above replacement is wider than the original but most of it fitted into the channel, at a slight angle and fixed into position with double sided tape. It comes in a soft rectangular silicon tube (not filled with gel that can discolor ) it has 150 white (same as the original) but larger 5050 LED’s and also 150 RGB LED’s.

It will be interesting to see which color attracts the least amount of insects, all I need now is some 70’s music and a disco ball….

Old 04-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
I just bought 4 of the same kind of kits and plain on putting them under the motorhome to accent the light from the awning. Hhhmmm.... but the awning only has the clear blue light, wonder if I should change it out so its the same as the underneath ones are...
Old 06-09-2016, 12:59 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 31A
State: Iowa
THOR #3906
I had one of those on my Passport TT and the June Bugs really like it. It looks cool and I just mounted mine with 3m zip ties on the underneath the awning. Not sure if I want to do it with the Cheatau or not.
2014 Passport Grand Touring
2014 Thor Chateau 31A
Sivymp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:29 AM   #4

THOR #2702
What type of double sided tape did you use. I'm concerned that if the tape is wider than the strip and will adhere dirt and dust which will be very much an eye sore.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:13 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmoman View Post
What type of double sided tape did you use. I'm concerned that if the tape is wider than the strip and will adhere dirt and dust which will be very much an eye sore.
3m double sided tap from a automotive body paint store...