Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Indiana
THOR #20004
2015 Vegas 24.1

The converter is inside the MH under the bed and easily accessed. Has anyone taken this apart to install a hardwired surge/power protection device?

Old 10-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Under the bed?

On ours (2014) its under the fridge. I don't think its been moved over the years.

We have not installed a hardwired surge supressor, however.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #3

THOR #20004
Yeah, it’s been moved to under the bed on the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	219980CD-7F5A-4048-92E7-1691C6A2E3DA.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	26641  
Old 10-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Wherever it's at you don't need to do anything with the converter to install a surge/power protection device. The surge protector is wired in series to the input to the AC power panel. The converter is powered b y a breaker in that panel and simply converts 120 VAC to 12 VDC to power the DC buss and loads and charge the house batteries.

And I believe the picture in Post #3 is of the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodIndy View Post
Yeah, it’s been moved to under the bed on the passenger side.
Are you sure that is the converter and not just the transfer switch that switches between shore power and the generator??

The converter is usually behind the fuse panel located under the fridge and so far all the 24.1's I've seen on the forum have it there....
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:51 PM   #6

THOR #1249
That looks like the transfer switch in our coach, except part of mine is melted.
The converter in is under the fridge in mine.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #7

THOR #20004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Are you sure that is the converter and not just the transfer switch that switches between shore power and the generator??

The converter is usually behind the fuse panel located under the fridge and so far all the 24.1's I've seen on the forum have it there....
Ahhhh, Geeesh. I’ve out of the game too long! Yes, I’ve meant to refer to the Transfer switch all along. I’m thinking of installing a power protector in front of it..
Old 10-12-2020, 12:51 AM   #8

THOR #20004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
That looks like the transfer switch in our coach, except part of mine is melted.
The converter in is under the fridge in mine.
Melted! Which side of the bed do you sleep on? Wow..melted.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #9

THOR #1249
Quote:
Melted! Which side of the bed do you sleep on? Wow..melted.
Yes that is my side that I sleep on, but that didn't cause the melting.
You can read all about transfer switches melting from loose wiring here;
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ach-13045.html. Mine is # 9.
Check all your wiring connections where possible.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Back to the original post...

Yes, you can and should place your hardwired Progressive or other brand EMS device between the Auto-Transfer-Switch and the Converter/Charger/Junction Box (which is located under the fridge on your 24.1)

There’s an orange “hot” line coming from the ATS.
Splice the EMS into that line.

In my install, I needed to add a small 1” x 4” pine board to use as a mounting point for the EMS.

Also see that I placed my remote switch with double stick tape on top of the EMS.
I decided that I really didn’t need to see the display 24/7. Plus, the extension wire wasn’t quite long enough to place at my preferred mounting point.

Here’s a photo of my install.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CA6B4ACC-DEB6-43AB-AFFE-C6C564251210.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	26646  
Old 10-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #11

THOR #20004
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Back to the original post...

Yes, you can and should place your hardwired Progressive or other brand EMS device between the Auto-Transfer-Switch and the Converter/Charger/Junction Box (which is located under the fridge on your 24.1)

There’s an orange “hot” line coming from the ATS.
Splice the EMS into that line.

In my install, I needed to add a small 1” x 4” pine board to use as a mounting point for the EMS.

Also see that I placed my remote switch with double stick tape on top of the EMS.
I decided that I really didn’t need to see the display 24/7. Plus, the extension wire wasn’t quite long enough to place at my preferred mounting point.

Here’s a photo of my install.
Bob, thanks for the great update. I’m thinking of buying the progressive unit without the remote monitor. One question for you. What’s your thinking in installing the progressive unit after the transfer switch rather than in front of it. In front of the transfer switch would be the same as using a portable unit attached to the campground power post. Are you wanting to monitor both pedestal power and generator power?
Old 10-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #12

THOR #13362
Quote:
Bob, thanks for the great update. I’m thinking of buying the progressive unit without the remote monitor. One question for you. What’s your thinking in installing the progressive unit after the transfer switch rather than in front of it. In front of the transfer switch would be the same as using a portable unit attached to the campground power post. Are you wanting to monitor both pedestal power and generator power?
Yes, I want to monitor generator power as well.
There was a Vegas owner who saved his electrical system when his generator went on the fritz and over-amped. (Cummins/Onan later said it was an abnormal malfunction, but bottom-line it did occur)

Had the Vegas owner not wired the EMS between the ATS and the Junction box, the generator would have fried his system.

IMHO, it's the best way to wire it
Old 10-12-2020, 10:07 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Yes, I want to monitor generator power as well.
There was a Vegas owner who saved his electrical system when his generator went on the fritz and over-amped. (Cummins/Onan later said it was an abnormal malfunction, but bottom-line it did occur)

Had the Vegas owner not wired the EMS between the ATS and the Junction box, the generator would have fried his system.
IMHO, it's the best way to wire it
Yeah, that was the "Two trail hikers / Finding our Happy" guy with a Vegas right? I saw his Youtube.

I intalled this surge guard on my Axis about 1.5 years ago. Just grab the OUTPUT from the Auto transfer that way it covers both the Generator and Shore Power. Its under my bed on my floor plan (along with my fuse box and X fer switch).

BUT Its a Love / Hate relationship..... but im getting use to it.

The Love part is I feel more secure about the RV when Plugged in or on the Genny. Plus It will prolong the Roof Air Con life.... if your power is interrupted for like 1 or 2 sec. it will cut all power off and make it wait for like 4 or 5 min before letting your Air Con kicking back on. This is very important IMO.

I always use my old "plug in" surge to "check" the status of my power supply before I hook up my cord (So I use both at the same time).

The HATE part is the LONG WAIT.... When its 95 + degrees outside I want AC instantly .... well now I have to wait 4 or 5 min before it kicks on.... But Im im getting use to it. I turn on the Generator right away before the wife gets in the RV so cold air is blowing.

Also this thing Hums when connected. Its not bad..... but noticeable with AC off and TV off and no other noises... you really have to pay attention to hear it but its there..... Luckly it DOES NOT disturb my sleeping (im a light sleeper so this is important - clocks ticking or water dripping keep me awake for hours).

I also insulated this area and mounted on rubber pad to absorb this noise.

This picture below is BEFORE I remounted on a 1/3 inch thick soft rubber pad plus the lid of this comparment has 3/4 inch thick sound deading insulation - both helped some.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5228.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	26658  
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:35 PM   #14

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah, that was the "Two trail hikers / Finding our Happy" guy with a Vegas right? I saw his Youtube.

I intalled this surge guard on my Axis about 1.5 years ago. Just grab the OUTPUT from the Auto transfer that way it covers both the Generator and Shore Power. Its under my bed on my floor plan (along with my fuse box and X fer switch).

BUT Its a Love / Hate relationship..... but im getting use to it.

The Love part is I feel more secure about the RV when Plugged in or on the Genny. Plus It will prolong the Roof Air Con life.... if your power is interrupted for like 1 or 2 sec. it will cut all power off and make it wait for like 4 or 5 min before letting your Air Con kicking back on. This is very important IMO.

I always use my old "plug in" surge to "check" the status of my power supply before I hook up my cord (So I use both at the same time).

The HATE part is the LONG WAIT.... When its 95 + degrees outside I want AC instantly .... well now I have to wait 4 or 5 min before it kicks on.... But Im im getting use to it. I turn on the Generator right away before the wife gets in the RV so cold air is blowing.

Also this thing Hums when connected. Its not bad..... but noticeable with AC off and TV off and no other noises... you really have to pay attention to hear it but its there..... Luckly it DOES NOT disturb my sleeping (im a light sleeper so this is important - clocks ticking or water dripping keep me awake for hours).

I also insulated this area and mounted on rubber pad to absorb this noise.

This picture below is BEFORE I remounted on a 1/3 inch thick soft rubber pad plus the lid of this comparment has 3/4 inch thick sound deading insulation - both helped some.

That's the issue with Surge Guard vs Progressive Industries
- PI takes no more than a minute, maybe 90 sec
- PI's hummm is non-existent/very minimal. It's under the bed and I do not hear it

Regardless, this is the best way to wire it.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Under the bed?

On ours (2014) its under the fridge. I don't think its been moved over the years.

We have not installed a hardwired surge supressor, however.
ours is under the sink too !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #16
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
The converter is inside the MH under the bed and easily accessed. Has anyone taken this apart to install a hardwired surge/power protection device?
You may have resolved the question by now.. however,
we have had surge protectors which are Post mount for a number of years with no issues. It takes our surge protector about 5 minutes to go through all the steps to assure the connection is safe.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #17

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
You may have resolved the question by now.. however,
we have had surge protectors which are Post mount for a number of years with no issues. It takes our surge protector about 5 minutes to go through all the steps to assure the connection is safe.
5 min?
wow that's much longer than my Progressive Industries hardwired unit for 30 amp power.
Like I said above..mine usually does not take more than a minute
Old 10-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #18

THOR #20004
Just installed the Progressive Industries hard wired EMS into my 24.1. I decided to install it the water heater access cabinet. It was a perfect fit. I may not have put this here had I not learned that the display card can be rotated for viewing, thus allowing you to orient the unit any way you need it.. No humming at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	98D7F085-115D-4022-BBC1-8D230071B44C.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	26802  
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
RodIndy is offline   Reply With Quote