Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2016, 03:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #3593
Replacement King mattress

We want to replace out King mattress in our Hurricane 27K with something more comfortable. Every replacement mattress is the wrong size. I can only assume that Thor created a special mattress, 72x76, in order to get the King bed to fit in the 27K. Has anyone found a replacement mattress that will fit?

If we can't find a mattress, we will have to find a topper as the mattress is just too uncomfortable for any length of trip.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You can always try a place like The Foam Factory. You can customize the different foams used (construct multiple layers and specify each one) and they will cut the foam to a custom size.

We used them to replace the air mattress for the drop down bunk in our Axis--now its the most comfortable bed in the camper!

(We're not affiliated with them other than they are "local" to us; just a happy customer.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Jhsgls,
Can't help with right size mattress - yes it is an 'RV King', but we got a mattress topper for the short queen in our hurricane from CW that has made a world of difference...
Higher price now than when I bought - but this is a link to the king version: Perfect Harmony Mattress Topper - RV King - Carpenter 31374542247 - Bed Pads & Mattresses - Camping World

Jamie,
What foam/thickness did you use for the drop down bunk? Not sure if the Axis has a deeper spot there - Hurricane doesn't allow for much thickness when the bed is retracted. As we recently found ourselves trying to use it with 2 bad air mattresses on board - something not able to leak is sounding good...
Old 02-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc
What foam/thickness did you use for the drop down bunk? Not sure if the Axis has a deeper spot there - Hurricane doesn't allow for much thickness when the bed is retracted. As we recently found ourselves trying to use it with 2 bad air mattresses on board - something not able to leak is sounding good.
On the early Axis units (such as ours) that came with an air mattress there really is only about 3/4" of room when the bunk is fully retracted (later Axis units actually come with a mattress there). I purchased a foam mattress that is about 4" thick--we remove it when retracting the bunk fully and store it elsewhere (its a tri-fold; we just fold it and throw it on the back bed).
Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Denver Weekender mattress that came with our Challenger was OK in the the beginning - but as the number of nights increased it would not recover during the day. We ended up with two valleys and a really big hump in the middle. Time for a change but finding 72 x 75 mattress we could actually test was almost impossible. Finally found a retailer in Houston that has their own on site manufacturing facility. We got to test nap the various spring and foam models. Finally found the one DW was happy with. Gave them some money and dimensions. Within a couple days our mattress was ready. Our custom made mattress has four different density two inch layers and a really comfy one inch on top. They have a parking lot with more than enough room for a really big rig with tow and will even install your new mattress in their parking lot or deliver it in the metro Houston area. We actually bought it in Oct 15 but I waited till we had a couple months of use to report. VERY happy campers now.
If your looking for a custom built mattress try these folks - they did a great job for us.

TEXAS MATTRESS MAKERS
4619 Navigation Blvd
Houston, TX 77011
713-341-6252
Old 02-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You can always try a place like The Foam Factory. You can customize the different foams used (construct multiple layers and specify each one) and they will cut the foam to a custom size.

We used them to replace the air mattress for the drop down bunk in our Axis--now its the most comfortable bed in the camper!

(We're not affiliated with them other than they are "local" to us; just a happy customer.)
How did you get the bunk to go all the way up with the foam there?Ours get's stuck if the bed isn't raised all the way up each and every time.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
How did you get the bunk to go all the way up with the foam there?Ours get's stuck if the bed isn't raised all the way up each and every time.
Our bunk doesn't have that issue. When we're camping I do leave the mattress in the bunk and just raise it up until the mattress touches the ceiling (which leaves the bunk about 2" down from all the way up). So far we haven 't had any issues (when I lower it all the way, or when I put it away all the way up I do hold the switch for the extra few seconds so that the controller gets reset).

I'm aware of everyone's advice to not stop the bunk (and/or slide) partially extended but so far we haven't had any bunk issues. It has always moved properly (as our slide has as well).
Old 02-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #8

State: California
THOR #2544
Thank you, like they say if it works, don't mess with it!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #9

Model: Super C Chateau 35SK
State: Texas
THOR #921
The Denver mattress that came with our 35SK would be fine for someone that weighed less than 100 pounds, but not for me. We found Verlo Mattress Company in Boulder, Colorado that made a 72 x 76 custom mattress for us and it is a great mattress. It took about 14 days for them to make and ship it to Texas. I like it better than our Tempurpedic at home.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #10

THOR #3593
Ctpres, That is exactly how we feel about the mattress. The first few nights were ok, but we shortly had two indentations with a hump in the middle also. Will definitely check out that mattress company.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:16 AM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Our previous motorhome, with a hide a bed .. mattress horrible...we
ordered an awesome mattress from Denver Mattress...had 3 layers of foam..with the inner core being the stiffest...it was pricey but did the trick.
Our new Axis 24.1 came with Denver Mattress Foam...ours are very firm. So far so good !
Old 02-12-2016, 02:05 AM   #12

THOR #3593
Vkb: We thought it was comfortable at first also. But, we spent 5 weeks in it last summer, our first trip, amd after the first couple of weeks it just got worse and worse. We plan to take another long trip this summer and need to figure something out. Maybe we just got a cheap Denver mattress and didn't know ot.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnhill View Post
The Denver mattress that came with our 35SK would be fine for someone that weighed less than 100 pounds, but not for me. We found Verlo Mattress Company in Boulder, Colorado that made a 72 x 76 custom mattress for us and it is a great mattress. It took about 14 days for them to make and ship it to Texas. I like it better than our Tempurpedic at home.
Hi! I'm interested in this mattress company you've done business with - can you tell me which of their mattresses seemed to suit your needs? They have a quiz to answer to steer you to a particular type, but I'd be interested to know which style you ended up with.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #2628
Has anyone tried a Select Comfort in there RV?

KC
Old 02-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
jhsgls....Thankyou for the feedback ! We have not been out for a long trip yet. It will be interesting to see how our mattresses break in...will post when we have put them to extended use. We have Sleep Number here at home....that is always an option.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #16

State: North Carolina
THOR #20925
Mattress replacement

We have a 2019 Thor Challenger. We just returned from a month long trip and now realize we need a better mattress. The Tilt A View mattress platform measures 70x74, so not sure what size mattress that is. Not really a King, but bigger than a Queen. And the mattress must fold a little when we raise the head of the bed for the slide out to come in for travel. ANY mattress suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Check with these folks:

https://www.mattressinsider.com/?gcl...SAAEgLpvPD_BwE
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Boss lady bought this one for our hurricane.

I put in fold up board of plywood to lift end so slid closes without compressing couple inches of matress.
Attached it to bed with piano hinge.

She put nice pillow top on it also, supper nice!!

Amazon.com : matress
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=matress&ref=nb_sb_noss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhsgls View Post
We want to replace out King mattress in our Hurricane 27K with something more comfortable. Every replacement mattress is the wrong size. I can only assume that Thor created a special mattress, 72x76, in order to get the King bed to fit in the 27K. Has anyone found a replacement mattress that will fit?

If we can't find a mattress, we will have to find a topper as the mattress is just too uncomfortable for any length of trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201018-112119_Chrome.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	26751  
Old 10-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #19

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
I just ordered a hinged full queen from this company. Excellent to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We keep looking at their hinged RV Queen mattresses; but our mattress topper makes our current OEM mattress liveable...