Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Roadmaster Front/Rear sway bars

I am thinking of installing Roadmaster front and rear sway bars on my F53. Looking for some input from somone that that has changed thiers out? On the front after the CHF did you notice a big difference? Was there a big difference for the rear as far as wind and passing trucks?

Old 05-04-2019, 03:58 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #3954
Better vehicle control is always beneficial. There are several specific problems to address.

Excessive lean in turns, porpoising, yaw, and general wallowing all contribute to that disconnected feeling while try to aim down the road.
Each issue has a specific set of solutions.

Front and ear sway bars are a good start, but then you should consider other upgrades including; track bars to limit lateral axle movement; steering control unit to help maintain straight ahead steering in cross winds, tire blowout, etc.

Each addresses one area of concern and the upgrades are cumulative: Each adds a degree of improvement, and can be an incremental step.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:49 AM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I installed front & rear Helwigs on my E450
Huge difference.
Now it’s like driving a full size SUV
Nice!
Old 05-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #4

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
I am thinking of installing Roadmaster front and rear sway bars on my F53. Looking for some input from somone that that has changed thiers out? On the front after the CHF did you notice a big difference? Was there a big difference for the rear as far as wind and passing trucks?
I'm curious to hear input also as I'm considering roadmaster steering stabilizer on the front.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don’t find my rig to be difficult to drive but I’m doing the CHF anyway because of the rave reviews and it’s cheap enough. I don’t study these threads because I’m not unhappy with my handling but I don’t recall seeing anyone post that they bought new sway bars after doing the CHF. I wonder how much “better” the expensive solution is compared to the cheap one.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #14934
CHF - Rear Trac Bar

The dealer (Bankston) got the CHF done in the front and the Supersteer SS401 Rear Trac Bar installed. They sad the sway bar in the rear used both holes already? I'll have to climb under and look when I get it back.

Woody Anderson Ford will align the front end and install the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer May 22.
Mr.Ed203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I dont have the same chassis as you but the results would be simular (IMO). I think some people are in tune with handeling more than others ....so one person will say its night and day diff (like me) and other will say its an improvement over stock (but they might also be driving a Yugo vs another guy with that drivers BMW and expect good handling)

I installed the Helwig front Anti Sway and the Blue Ox rear track arm plus the Saftey Plus Steering stabliizer and it transformed how my RV handled the curves, transiting onto roads where the body wants to roll, high speeds on interstates and almost eleminated the semi's pushing and pulling you at speed.

I would never go back to stock on my RV. IMO this is the way they should come from factory.

The funny thing is one semi will push me a little now (but never bad) and then the next 4 semis that pass me you wont hardly feel at all. Must have to do with thier speeds passing me the their aerodynamics?

I think all of the members with F53 chassis that did the CHF would never go back to stock. Sound like a major improvement.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:47 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
THOR #14761
Smile

I have a 22K MIRAMAR 34.2 and have had post that say no up grade needed. The F53 chassis is a standard Weight class, and depending on the company purchasing that chassis they may upgrade it or not for more strength. So with 22,000 pounds hanging over it and 13 feet up in the air sway and yaw becomes a problem. I added to the front a sumo springs and a ETRAIL HD front sway bar big Difference. I will add Sumo springs to the rear end later. And for you that think improving suspension in not Necessary, there’s a reason why it’s $100 million industry it needs to be done.
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #9

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Pretty sure that CHF does the same as replacing front and rear sway bars, and much cheaper.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
CHP will help with tail push from weather and passing vehicles but the result is secondary to what the change effects. If your goal is to reduce the tail push then a rear track bar is what you want. If reducing sway or lean in a turn is your goal then do the CHP mode. If you want to reduce lane wonder than a steering stabilizer (along with a front end alignment and proper tire pressure) is want you need.

If you plan to make any changes to improve the ride comfort, handling and general performance best to make a single change then drive the coach for several hundred miles in various conditions and road surfaces and judge if you need to try something else of is the coach behaving as you want. Best to start with low cost stuff. Correct air pressure, CHP, weight balance and alignment before you start writing checks.

And if you're wondering I have it all but probably only need half. Besides what I listed as low cost I added Koni shocks, air bags all around with an onboard compressor and on the fly pressure change capability (both adding and reducing), rear track bar and front stabilizer. The no cost and low cost stuff had the greatest effect on ride performance while the most expensive (air bags) had the least effect.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:09 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #3788
I had the roadmaster front and rear sway bars added it did make a difference
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
So now that I’ve done both the front and rear CHF I’ll have to agree that it makes the driving experience somewhat more relaxing than stock. However, I still do not think it is “necessary” or that the stock configuration is in any way unsafe. I’ve driven 2 different F53 based RVs about 15,000 miles without this simple adjustment without any issues. I think it is a disservice, especially to already nervous newbies, to suggest that thousands of dollars of upgrades are needed from the outset. My Mercedes SL certainly drives “better”. But what does that prove? All of that said, if you are “handy” and can do this yourself it does seem worth the effort. Just my opinion, of course.