Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2017, 03:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #9446
Running Furnace Overnight

I have a "new to me" Thor 21C Class C, with a single coach battery. We are planning on doing some winter dry camping in Ohio. Not extreme cold, but definitely some furnace weather.

Is it realistic to believe that I could add sufficient battery capacity to make it through the night on a charge? Running the on board generator overnight is not an option for obvious reasons.

Another option would be to use my Yamaha 2000 generator at a safe distance from the coach. while it is only 2000 watts, it should handle these loads nicely.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Scott
2010 Thor Freedom Elite 21C

Old 10-07-2017, 04:37 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34B
State: California
THOR #7571
When I had my 23' Winnebago, running the furnace all night would deplete the battery in 30-degree temps. It's the fan that sucks the juice. I replaced the single 12v battery with 2x 6v batteries. If they got a full charge during the day they handled the furnace without problems.

Now that I'm in a bigger rig, I'm worried my furnace won't keep up with the bigger space at night.

(Our annual October trip (week after next!) is boondocking for a week high in the SoCal mountains. 30's at night, 80's and tons of sun during the day. Solar and 6v batteries work perfect in this situation.)
Old 10-07-2017, 04:55 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainscott32 View Post
I have a "new to me" Thor 21C Class C, with a single coach battery. We are planning on doing some winter dry camping in Ohio. Not extreme cold, but definitely some furnace weather.

Is it realistic to believe that I could add sufficient battery capacity to make it through the night on a charge? Running the on board generator overnight is not an option for obvious reasons.

Another option would be to use my Yamaha 2000 generator at a safe distance from the coach. while it is only 2000 watts, it should handle these loads nicely.

Scott
Might be good to elaborate on the obvious reasons for not running the generator. Is it in a place where you aren't allowed to run it or is the fear CO?

If CO, have you considered a Genturi or similar device to route the exhaust above the coach and feel better about the CO?
Old 10-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Might be good to elaborate on the obvious reasons for not running the generator. Is it in a place where you aren't allowed to run it or is the fear CO?

If CO, have you considered a Genturi or similar device to route the exhaust above the coach and feel better about the CO?
That's what I was wondering as well....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #5

THOR #9446
Thanks for your replies. As I come from a boating background, CO scares the daylights out of me. I am not all that familiar with the systems that route the exhaust gasses above the coach. Is this a viable option for overnight? We are way off the grid when camping so generator noise is not an issue.

Thanks again!
Scott
Old 10-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. As I come from a boating background, CO scares the daylights out of me. I am not all that familiar with the systems that route the exhaust gasses above the coach. Is this a viable option for overnight? We are way off the grid when camping so generator noise is not an issue.

Thanks again!
Scott
The Genturi will route the exhaust gas up and above the roofline. We use one when tailgating to be nice to the neighbors and to prevent CO buildup in the coach. Once connected, you can leave the Genturi connected for days or weeks at a time.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #7

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:

Thanks again!
Scott
Scott, I have a similar background. Over the years we would sometimes raft off with other boats overnight (younger party days). A couple of us had diesel boats w/generators but most had gas. The strict rule was none of the gas boats could have their generator's on at night.

If you are dry camping in temps that are mid 30's and higher I would just add another 12 volt. You should put 2 new ones in at the same time and not try to add one new one to the existing one. If you keep your furnace setting low enough those double 12 volts should see you through 8 hours if everything else but the frig is shut down.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL
Scott, I have a similar background. Over the years we would sometimes raft off with other boats overnight (younger party days). A couple of us had diesel boats w/generators but most had gas. The strict rule was none of the gas boats could have their generator's on at night.
I've seen this mentioned several times now and have to ask: Why? What is different between Diesel and gas that allows you to run a Diesel generator but not a gas one? They both produce CO2, and I'm sure they both produce CO? Does the Diesel produce less CO? (Honestly, not trying to be a troll, just want to understand as they are both internal combustion engines and thus produce about the same emissions). Is it the higher combustion temperatures in Diesel that provides a better burn? (even though there is more soot)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Quote:

Scott
I have a Yamaha 2400 that I have taken with me because it makes less noise and uses less fuel than the onboard. I had trouble with the heater when temps were mid 20's one trip so I purchased a Mr. Heater to carry with me. May be another option for you.

Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 AM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #6975
Smile

I use the Mr heater. It works great and no fan noise.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Diesels will produce CO if running very rich. The incomplete combustion process will result on CO. Otherwise diesels produce nitrogen oxides and particulates.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Delaware
THOR #8608
The problem with nonvented propane heaters is moisture
Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoeb View Post
I use the Mr heater. It works great and no fan noise.
Us Too!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #6975
Smile Heater

If you live in Colorado you do not have a moisture problem
Old 11-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #15

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
I have ran the on board generator all night as well as the furnace with no problems at all.

Last yer in a truck stop! Think about it, these trucks run their engines all night long! It is vented outdoors!!!!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #16

State: Wyoming
THOR #9872
I think you would be asking a lot of a single battery to stay up all night. With that I would add another 12 volt battery. Trouble is you should replace both batteries so you have 2 new batteries otherwise the old battery will pull the new battery down. If you were considering running a small generator I would put electric heater in savior propane since you're going to be running a generator all night anyway that might be a more economic option.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:22 AM   #17

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Buy two AGM Deep Cycle 210 amp hr batteries and when they’re fully charged, you should have plenty of power before needing to run generator.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:31 AM   #18

State: Wyoming
THOR #9872
That will certainly work.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #19

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor34e View Post
The problem with nonvented propane heaters is moisture
I noticed moisture on my inside windshield. We had run onboard propane heater and I guess it came from it.