Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
Member
 
daver35's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Ohio
Posts: 38
THOR #10566
RV propane adapter to Gen1 Colman RoadTrip Grill

Hello. Since the weather was nice here in Ohio I decided to make an adapter for our "Classic/gen 1" Coleman RoadTrip Grill to work with the 1/4" rear auxiliary propane connection. It was pretty straight forward of a change. I will share some pictures that show the order of the change in case there are some folks that aren't familiar with the fittings. Once you have the parts anyone can tackle this. This is again for the first generation blue RoadTrip grill with the clip on style connection at the grill. The Gen2 had a thread on connection which was probably more stable of a connection.

The clip on connector will unthread counter clockwise from the grill's regulator. Be careful, there are some pieces that will need to be protected from falling out and should be kept in their order for reassembly.

As for new pieces needed to buy,
1) I used a brass 1/8" male x 1/4"female pipe thread 90 degree coupling.
2) a brass 1/8" thread x 1 1/2" length nipple. this is the longest you would want. you need to have the pipe NOT sticking past the slide tensioner for the clips when you assemble this.
3) a brass 1/8" pipe thread coupling(female threads on both ends)
4) 3/8" lock washer
5)rv propane 1/4" male pipe thread x the style connector on my Rv
6)your choice of Teflon tape or pipe dope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image8.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	16227   Click image for larger version

Name:	image9.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	16228  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image10.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	16229   Click image for larger version

Name:	image11.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	16230  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image12.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	16231  
__________________

__________________
daver35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 10,263
THOR #8860
Awesome!
Where did you get the fittings?
__________________

__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rich&Cathy's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 29.3
State: California
Posts: 190
THOR #6522
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver35 View Post
Hello. Since the weather was nice here in Ohio I decided to make an adapter for our "Classic/gen 1" Coleman RoadTrip Grill to work with the 1/4" rear auxiliary propane connection. It was pretty straight forward of a change. I will share some pictures that show the order of the change in case there are some folks that aren't familiar with the fittings. Once you have the parts anyone can tackle this. This is again for the first generation blue RoadTrip grill with the clip on style connection at the grill. The Gen2 had a thread on connection which was probably more stable of a connection.

The clip on connector will unthread counter clockwise from the grill's regulator. Be careful, there are some pieces that will need to be protected from falling out and should be kept in their order for reassembly.

As for new pieces needed to buy,
1) I used a brass 1/8" male x 1/4"female pipe thread 90 degree coupling.
2) a brass 1/8" thread x 1 1/2" length nipple. this is the longest you would want. you need to have the pipe NOT sticking past the slide tensioner for the clips when you assemble this.
3) a brass 1/8" pipe thread coupling(female threads on both ends)
4) 3/8" lock washer
5)rv propane 1/4" male pipe thread x the style connector on my Rv
6)your choice of Teflon tape or pipe dope.
Went to propanegear.com they will have everything you need.
__________________
Rich&Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Squerly's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Wind Sport
State: North Carolina
Posts: 298
THOR #14340
Very nice Daver35.
__________________
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Virginia
Posts: 26
THOR #14450
Once I get my quick disconnect line installed I'll do this. Thanks for the details.
__________________
Treynolds03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 10,263
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich&Cathy View Post
Went to propanegear.com they will have everything you need.



http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1553015815
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awesome.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	16273  
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #7
Member
 
daver35's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Ohio
Posts: 38
THOR #10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Awesome!
Where did you get the fittings?
Thanks
These are very common fittings. any hardware store should have them. i forgot to add if you don't have an extention hose with the proper mating ends. My grill is from the early 2000's but in great condition, it was not as easy to find a pre-made connection made for this because of it's age so i had to make this up as i'm sure others have had to. thought i'd share.
__________________
daver35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #8
Member
 
daver35's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Ohio
Posts: 38
THOR #10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich&Cathy View Post
Went to propanegear.com they will have everything you need.
well i've been know to overlook things but i want to say they did not have this. They have the set up for the Generation 2(Gen2) style grill. that fitting threads onto the grill where the original style:classic, gen1 snaps on. i still could be wrong but if i'm not here is one way you can make this up to work!
__________________
daver35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
Member
 
daver35's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Ohio
Posts: 38
THOR #10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Very nice Daver35.
__________________
daver35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
Member
 
daver35's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Ohio
Posts: 38
THOR #10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treynolds03 View Post
Once I get my quick disconnect line installed I'll do this. Thanks for the details.
__________________

__________________
daver35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2