Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2018, 02:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Chateau 28E
State: Arizona
THOR #13948
Satellite connections

Not sure where to ask this and a search does not address my specific RV. I have a 2019 Thor Chateau 28E. Supposed to be satellite prep but see no evidence of it then have not been on roof. At 72 don't climb on roof unless extremely motivated.

I have a portable dish I used with my old 5th wheel so would like to reuse to save money and line that it can more easily be moved to align with satellite. It has coax output that I am in hope can be connect to wear park cable coax would be connect, will this work, alternative.

It appears the place for the Directtv receiver is under the blue ray DVD in the cabinet above the door. This also where the TV amplifier is located. Again wanting to use coax for connections if possible. Will use an alternative if I can but receiver used coax previously.

I did try connecting portable dish to the park coax connection. Then connected DirecTV receiver in serious between amplifier output and DVD input. Turned off amplifier.

What happened receiver connected to main TV not sure connected to bedroom and outside TV forgot to check DUH. Seems satellite signal not getting to DirecTV receiver. Have a feeling need do more or modify something with where coax amplifier is located.

Anyone done this? What do I need do to get all 3 TV's and satellite going hopefully with minimal modifications. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:15 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
DirecTV requires a home run of coax from the dish's LNB to the receiver, as the splitter must pass the 18 volt DC current to power the dish's LNB. Thor pits a splitter for the TVs in that coax. It is usually connected by a short section of coax to the terrestrial antenna power supply. Remove the whole switch plate with the antenna power supply and you will probably find the splitter. You can still use a splitter but it must be a DirecTV approved one (called a green label as the splitter's label is green in color).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:25 AM   #3

THOR #13948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
DirecTV requires a home run of coax from the dish's LNB to the receiver, as the splitter must pass the 18 volt DC current to power the dish's LNB. Thor pits a splitter for the TVs in that coax. It is usually connected by a short section of coax to the terrestrial antenna power supply. Remove the whole switch plate with the antenna power supply and you will probably find the splitter. You can still use a splitter but it must be a DirecTV approved one (called a green label as the splitter's label is green in color).
Okay let me talk this threw so it is straight in my head and sure I under stand.

Remove cover of amplifier and but a 3 way splitter meant for digital in coax in series with coax for antenna to amplifier. I suppose will need make short piece of coax cable up to do that. Then add from splitter, make up another short one to output of blue ray DVD.

Find a weather proof coax receptacle that I can mount probably close to existing one use for park cable and run RG-6 from it directly to input of DirecTV receiver.

So coax from portable dish to my new weather proof connection receptacle. Then be RG-6 from that receptacle to input of DirecTV receiver. Output of DirecTV receiver to newly installed 3 way splitter.

I then should have DirecTV to bedroom TV, TV in living area above bunk, and finally to outside TV. This sound right?

Not sure can find the splitter here anymore don't have a Radio Shack or other electronic supplies so unless Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart has the splitter will have to order it online or wait tell traveling in spring to Phoenix to get it. I suppose somebody like Crutchfield will have what I need if order online.

Sound like I got it? Sorry about being so dense been over 50 years sense dealt with anything of this nature.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: California
THOR #11880
I wrote to thor and they told me how to add a splitter behind the switch plate where the cable comes in. I use the old portable tailgater and have Dish.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #5

THOR #6411
Just replace the splitter you have with an approved splitter. You need the splitter for the rear and outside TVs and for cable and terrestrial antenna reception.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #6

THOR #13948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Just replace the splitter you have with an approved splitter. You need the splitter for the rear and outside TVs and for cable and terrestrial antenna reception.
If got right take out amplifier and replace I am guessing 2 or 3 way splitter with approved one for Directv a 4way in and outputs remain the same. Where does other outputs go or just spares?

Where does Directv receiver connect in; I am guessing now between amplifier output and blueray dvd? Do not need homerun from outside dish it can connect into the park cable coax connection correct?

I have 3 tvs 1 outside, 1 in living area and last 1 in bedroom. I found a 2way splitter under the bed in water compartment. I am thinking that is for the bedroom tv and will need be changed to a Directv splitter so it will work back there. That sound right?

May have to draw myself some pictures. It seems when I retired my gray cells retired as well!!!!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #7

THOR #6411
The single terminal goes to the LNB on the dish. The quad left most terminal goes to the receiver (note arrow). The other three go to TVs via coax. Unused terminals get a shorting plug. From the receiver to the TVs, use HDMI cables. If you have a genie (HR-44/54 DVR), then I recommend video bridge and C-41W clients (wireless) for the TVs to get DirecTV channels; otherwise, you will have to use a BOMB (a video switch box) for DirecTV distribution.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #8

THOR #6411
Only the receiver needs a home run or green splitter, to supply the LNB with 18 volt DC power to the LNB. Anything after the green splitter can be left alone. If you hookup to cable just unplug the DirecTV receiver, turn the amplifier off (green light off), and select cable on the TVs and do a search for channels for each TV. For the antenna - unplug the DirecTV receiver, turn the antenna power on (green light on) and select antenna on the TVs and search for channels.

The reason to unplug the is prevent the amplifier shorting out the campgrounds cable. Most CGs have a DC block in the cable, but you never know.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

THOR #13948
Thanks everyone for your help and all seem workable. Special Jim & Roy Davis not sure who has been responding. I have been drawing schemes and thinking always a bad thing how to do this the simplest and not need the special Directv spiltter. I think I have done it but wold be nice if could be confirmed before buying parts and pieces and tear into this(poor choice of words) by someone more expert than me.

Here goes:

Since my response yesterday and I have a minute here is a possible solution I think will work and the easiest since I am using Directv.

it appears no matter what need run RG-6 home run for the Direct TV receiver because it provides 18 VDC I believe to the in my case outside portable dish. So to started need to make that run and connect directly between portable dish LNB and input to the Direct TV receiver. This run will be from a weather proof coax receptacle mount some where on the left rear of the coach: not sure of routing yet but thinking enter the cable from below water cabinet below rear bed and route along top cabinets along right side of coach to cabinet above the door where will place the Direct TV receiver and the existing Blue Ray DVD. Connect directly to input of Direct TV receiver.

Remove amplifier and access the coax splitter as we talked about before. Disconnect coax cable from from splitter which is the one from the Terrestrial antenna. Take a short coax from output of Direct TV run to a new AB coax switch and connect to say input B of the switch. Take cable I disconnected from splitter from terrestrial antenna and take it to input A of the switch. Then take output of switch with another short coax to the splitter where I disconnected the terrestrial antenna.

This does several things I believe.

1. Will not require and special Direct TV special splitters as there will be nothing between outside dish and receiver to block the 18VDC from receiver to dish.

2. By operating AB switch between A and B can switch between Terrestrial antenna and satellite signals. It will also provide blocking of DC from RV Park cable should it be connected and the RV Park does not have DC blocking.

3. By using AB switch should mean everything after Direct TV receiver cables. splitter, etc, can remain unchanged and work.

4. When switch to the Terrestrial Antenna turn on amplifier turn on TV and search for channels as normal. When switch to satellite turn off amplifier and in my case TV's on channel 4 with Direct TV receiver search for channels like normal operation. If connected to RV Park cable don't think position of AB switch matters but amplifier off and search for channels on TV and good to go. Blue Ray DVD should be operated as would be normally and all 3 TV's will work as well

Seems pretty simple at least to me and workable with least amount of modifications and no special splitters, etc.

Still would be nice if someone knowledgeable could review the above and confirm that it will work as described or should for a Direct TV connection before I start gathering parts and get into this project.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully will stop bugging everybody at least on this topic!