Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2019, 11:00 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Adding a video monitor to my Axis 24.1; a few questions

Not at all satisfied with the quality of the Axxera monitor when it comes to viewing my cameras. Too small, not high enough quality, far too great of an angle to safely turn my eyes away from the road, etc. I have found a nice, inexpensive 9" monitor that will allow four camera inputs; the fourth doesn't exist for me yet but it might be nice to have that flexibility to add one in the future. I hate reinventing the wheel, and I know someone on this forum has already added a system quite similar to what I'm trying to do. Sadly, I have searched and searched and can't find the thread!

Today, I tore open the dash cover right behind the steering wheel and found the video control box, which is pictured below.

I thought, this is gonna be easy! (I often say ridiculous things.) When I disconnected the camera input cables from the box, I found that they weren't an RCA style plug at all but a 5 pin connector.

No problem, I'll just buy three adapters. However, when I went to look for them, I found that there are several different 5-pin style plugs and most of them don't look like the ones that are on my Vegas!

Can someone here tell me specifically what kind of 5-pin plug this is (technical name appreciated) so I don't order the wrong one, AND if it is possible to get the adapter to be just the video out RCA? (Every adapter that I have seen splits it into video and red and white audio; no harm there but it makes it more costly than it needs to be.)

Also, if someone remembers who it was that had added the video monitor for his cameras before, I'd love to go read that thread again.

Thanks!

t

Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You should be able to get the make and model of the camera controller and find the manufacturer's website online. They should be able to tell you what type of adapter to use.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #3

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Rear View Safety makes the control box and they do sell the 5 pin (I think its a bnc connector) to rca adapter cables.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:43 PM   #4

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
You should be able to get the make and model of the camera controller and find the manufacturer's website online. They should be able to tell you what type of adapter to use.
Good thought. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:46 PM   #5

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Rear View Safety makes the control box and they do sell the 5 pin (I think its a bnc connector) to rca adapter cables.

Jerry
That was one that I saw that looked like it would work. It did have the three output cables, but I could always snip the red and white.

Interestingly enough, I noticed that the cable that comes out of our video control box has video AND audio, but the audio is just laying there, not even attached to our Axxera head unit, while the video cable is attached!

Thanks for the tip!