Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2016, 11:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36 TL
State: Virginia
THOR #3852
Satellite TV

I'm thinking of an upgrade for my 2016 Challenger 36TL and need some advice on Satellite systems. We're full timing and I'm leaning towards a roof mounted Direct TV set up. Any advice on brands/models/packages would be great. Does DirectTV discount the equipment with a contract similar to a home based installation?

Old 08-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
We have a Roof top HD Trav'ler system.

Advantages: HD for TV's, push a button and it goes up and your ready.

Disadvantages: Its mounted so you must have a clear site to sats or no Sat TV. Cost.

We take a received from home and bought one for RV (DVR). We have 4 TV's but only use two receivers. One for bedroom and the other 3 TV's use the living room Receiver.

KC
Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
I'm on my 3rd RV, I had Dish on my first RV. I didn't like it very much, it was cheaper, overall cost of unit and programming. But the old adage applies, you are going to get what you pay for! I didn't think the programming was as good as Directv.

We have directv at home, so I had something to compare it to. The big thing I didn't like with dish was; if you didn't have the receiver on and online for more than 30 days, the receiver would not download the programming guide and would not work at all! I would have to call dish, I always seem to talk with someone in a foreign country, whose first language was not English! For some reason, they didn't seem to know about this glitch, so I would get transferred through 3 or 4 different departments, including billing, before I could get it turned back on.

The problem was, they advertised this pay as you go program, the only problem was, if we didn't use the RV for 2 months, jump online, pay for a 30 day period, it wouldn't work, because the programming guide didn't update! Hence, I would have to call dish, to get the receiver re-activated, which typically took, 20-30 minutes!

Very frustrating, needless to say when we upgraded coaches, I dumped dish like a bad habit!! With direct, I've had no issues at all, plus I can watch NFL Sunday ticket😀😀😀😀😀😀🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

I live in the great pacific NW, we have lots of trees at our campgrounds, I've been to several locations were I could not get reception wth the traveler mounted on the roof. So one evening, I watched as a couple was setting up their Winegard portable dish. As they moved their antenna around to capture sat reception, I wondered about a way to use both systems. Before I knew it, they had a table set up next to their rig, a 32 inch TV was set up and they were watching sports!

So, with a little searching I found a used Winegard G2, auto track directv dome for $200.00. I wired in a new coax with a 12V cigarette power plug in my utility bay and ran the coax to a splitter, with a switch for A/B (The traveler requires a SWM unit and the G2 does not).

Using the G2 I get standard definition, so the quality isn't as good, but it is pretty close!!

Total cost parts and accessories approx $260.0
Time to install approx 3 hours(ran coax across coach, underneath and installed a 12v lighter plug)

Totally worth it for me! I know it's camping, but I like my creature conviences!!

I looks like I digressed a bit, did I mention I prefer Directv??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2632  
Old 08-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I have Dush and when I have called I simply tell them the receiver has been off for 30 days and please send the authorization code. Takes about 3 - 5 minutes.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:33 PM   #5

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Direct TV

If you like portability, check out the Direct TV SWiM HDTV dish from Oasis ($134). I have one and it works great - in both my Challenger and my apartment. It's on a tripod and easy to move around. I also downloaded an app called Dishpointer Pro for my cell phone. It's really helpful finding a clear spot to set up my dish.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:22 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
We have a Dish Network Tailgater. Not sure how it will integrate into the new Challenger yet, but the Tailgater has been really good. I think we have had it for nearly 4 years. We use wifi boxes in our toyhauler to transmit the signal from the main tv with our only receiver to the other 3 TVs using Actiontec My Wireless TV.

Anyone know if the Challlenger has a straight line to the basement to hook up a satellite dish that doesn't have any splitters or switches? The tailgater won't talk to the receiver if there is a switch or splitter if it's not designed for 2 way data flow.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
THOR #2983
For fulltimers Directv offers Distant Network Service. This allows you to get New York and L.A. local channels so you can get broadcast network programming. We switched to Dish when we traded coaches. You have the advantage with Dish of being able to get HD without a special hd antenna. Saving $60 a month was attractive too. For fulltimers, I vote Directv. For weekenders like we are now, Dish is fine.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
When we were full time we had the Winegard Travler Direct-TV dish mounted on top of our fiver. When we sold the house one of the receivers went into the RV and the other two were sent back to Direct-TV. We wanted HD plus we were used to Direct-TV so it worked for us at the time.

Currently we only travel between 3 to 5 months a year. Since we are back in a house we want the option to change between Direct-TV and Dish. We are also trying to decide what to have mounted on the roof. It won't be another Winegard Travler because you have to have a model for either Direct-TV or a model for Dish. We will probably go with one of the dome models that will allow you to switch back and forth.

We considered one of the carry out models but aren't big on adding set-up steps when traveling. During our 3 years of traveling full time we rarely if ever had issues of a blocked signal due to a roof mounted dish.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #9

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
We have DirecTV HD using the Winegard SK-SWM3 automatic roof-mounted dish and the Genie and mini-Genie receivers. It's a fantastic setup, BUT when making reservations we always ask for satellite-friendly campsites. You must have clearance for the roof-mounted dish (ask me how I know ) as well as a fairly clear shot to the south.

Our Mobile Suites was pre-wired for the Winegard roof mounted dish and controller.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
On our previous coach we had a roof mounted Direct TV dish, never had any problems. If we didn't use the coach for a while I called, got re activation signal sent and back in business in 2-3 minutes. We have Direct at home and have used them for at least 16-17 years, would not change. We also have AT&T wireless so we get discount for using both services.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #11

Model: SOB
THOR #2733
DirectTV with Whole Home

This thread has been so helpful. We are DirectTV customers at home and are planning on adding a satellite dish to our RV as well. The question that I'm still confused about is can we add the RV to our Whole Home package as an additional receiver and be able to have access to programs that are recorded at home? If there is for example a hockey game on while we are on the road, and we want to watch it after we arrive at our site, can we program it to record on our home DVR and then play back in the RV? Or can you only record things that are on when you are parked?

Thanks for any help... DirectTV website is useless on this.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
From what I've learned so far; i set up my whole home network on my DVR's, so I can see any receiver plugged into my home network. I ran a coax line from my home splitter out to my rv, so when I'm home I can plug my rv direct receiver into the home network. This allows me to watch tv in the rv without putting my dish up, it also allows me to see the content on that receiver.

My understanding of the system is: you must be plugged into that home network or have internet capability to stream the video feed and info. Now, with that being said, directv is working and improving its app features. I've been playing with the app while traveling for business, if I'm in a hotel with a strong fast wifi network, I can log into my directv account from my iPad and watch regular diretcv programming. This weekend I will test out the ability to watch from my recordings on my home office DVR.

So unless you are in a campground with strong fast and reliable wifi, it may be difficult to stream programming from your home DVR into your rv DVR if you are away from home!

I'm sure there will be some wizard that will come along and tell me I'm wrong, so let's hear it!!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 36TL
THOR #5536
The only wizardry i have is you can use your phone on dishnetwork. As long as you have 4g you're good..

I do the same from my phone if I need to access the home system. I can plug my phone using a hdmi adapter into our RV splitter source box and watch pre recorded stuff. Otherwise the dish and receiver in the RV are their own system.

I do this a good bit when we get stuck in spots with no view of the sky and it has worked pretty well. It eats up data both in your phone and at the house. As you're house is sending it out and your phone downloading all of it. We paid full price for our phone upgrade to keep our Verizon contract from changing and we still have unlimited data.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #14

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #3922
Direct TV

I went with the Direct TV HD dish from Oasis, which was around $140. I use the Dish Pointer Pro app on my cell phone to find the satellites and then use the Direct TV satellites to fine-tune. I kept the home DVR and moved it into the M/H. It records all of our shows, and works exactly the same as it did in our home.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
As far as adding to a whole home package, I would call and ask. I have never had less than great customer service from Direct TV. If you go with roof mounted dish make sure of which dish you are getting, some will get the HD and some won't. I would get an automatic folding dish as opposed to the dome, bigger antenna and better reception, push the button and it finds the satellite for you, easy!!!