Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22E
State: Kansas
THOR #5348
Scissor or other jacks for leveling

I have a Freedom Elite 22E, so it's small (GVWR 12.5K) and I really don't want to install a leveling system, but I'd like something better than chocks, which mostly get you "close enough." I've seen a lot of posts about Big Foot and other systems to install, but can't find much about manual jacks to level. Anyone have any experience with these? My Google-Fu shows a million types at all price levels, I'd really appreciate any first-hand knowledge. Again, not just to stabilize but to level as well. TIA.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I put BAL scissor jacks on our Axis. They don't level, they can only stabilize. Thus I use blocks/wood/etc. to get the coach level and then drop the scissor jacks.

Sure the jacks are rated for more than the weight of our coach but I would never be able to lift a corner with the jack (manually or using a drill).

You can get scissor and other types of jacks with electric motors built on them but even then I don't really think they can level--only stabilize.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

THOR #5348
Aren't Bigfoot and other systems just hydraulic jacks that are welded/bolted to the frame? Sure, they have electronic controls but before that invention I assume some folks out there did (and still do) level with manual jack systems. I've only been on the RV scene for less than three years, so maybe it was only done with chocks/blocks before these leveling systems were built?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimeflyfishing View Post
Aren't Bigfoot and other systems just hydraulic jacks that are welded/bolted to the frame? Sure, they have electronic controls but before that invention I assume some folks out there did (and still do) level with manual jack systems. I've only been on the RV scene for less than three years, so maybe it was only done with chocks/blocks before these leveling systems were built?
Yep but usually each hydraulic jack is rated at like 8000 - 12000 # each where as a small manual jack might only be rated at 2000 - 3000 # and not the length to reach the frame in spots.

Im sure you could use a manual jack (with blocks) and take some weight off the the suspension (but dont lift tires off the ground) and that might be enough to level RV (along with tire lego blocks).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #5

THOR #5348
My apologies, I don't think I was really very clear. There are hydraulic jacks out there you can buy, rated up to 40,000 lbs, depending on the amount you want to spend. They aren't part of any system, you can buy one to change a tire on your RV (carefully). I guess I was thinking surely at some point someone would have used these types of jacks to create an RV leveler that you don't have to pay thousands for install, electronics, etc., but it certainly doesn't seem like it.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimeflyfishing View Post
My apologies, I don't think I was really very clear. There are hydraulic jacks out there you can buy, rated up to 40,000 lbs, depending on the amount you want to spend. They aren't part of any system, you can buy one to change a tire on your RV (carefully). I guess I was thinking surely at some point someone would have used these types of jacks to create an RV leveler that you don't have to pay thousands for install, electronics, etc., but it certainly doesn't seem like it.

You are correct...a couple small bottle jacks will work well. Most of the time a front to back or a side to side level is all you need. Rarely do you need to triangulate the process.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #7

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Boils down to how much are willing to pay for convenience? The jacks (systems or individual units) are out there, starting at the bottle jack concept and going up to BAL or HWH, LCI and such.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #8

THOR #12231
I think the manual jacks would get old real quick. The HD ones would be heavy and take up valuable storage space as well. But Im sure it would work Okay.

But you could use just two smaller jacks to "help" level (but not raise off the ground) in conjuction with the tire blocks. This would only raise like an inch (maybe two). That way if your level bubble is real close you could use one or two jacks to help stablize and level the RV but it would not be a same as jacking up 6 inches.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-17-2019, 02:58 AM   #9
edr

Model: freedom elite
State: New Jersey
THOR #6112
hey guys
i have a freedom elite 29fe.
i did'nt mind using legos and stabilizer jacks to level.
Unless to was 40 degrees and raining.

until i realized what i was doing to the frame, drawers sticking, door not closing just right.
In six weeks i am going to michigan to have bigfoot levelers installed.
i am getting the wireless system because the jacks operate in pairs,
fore , aft, port, starboard. no automatic mode.
no frame twisting, no stuck drawers, and who knows what twisting does
to the roof.
my only mistake was not to have ordered them whem when i bought the rv
would have only been 7 or 8 dollars more a month.
EDR;
Camping in one way or another for 40+ years.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by edr View Post
i am getting the wireless system because the jacks operate in pairs,
Thats great. You will love the system. FYI - the Platinum also deploys in pairs then you have to manually adjust.

But I think the Remote is a great idea.

I wish I was closer (or had to time) to take a trip to to Sturgis MI to have BF install mine. It was a much bigger job than I thought it would be. But it worked out just fine and I love my Big Foot sytem (plus I know all the ins and outs incase it needs repair in the future).

Give us an update one your is installed.

Tags
leveling, leveling jacks