Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Sealing areas to keep heat and cold outside

In my continuing quest to seal this unit up I found another area today.
While looking at the A pillars I see the joint between the dash and the fiberglass.
Not knowing how this area connects or is sealed I ran a line of spray foam between the wood and fiberglass. I can see if this isn't sealed air could be forced up into the cab area.
You can see where they sealed the end at the factory but not all the way across. This runs from side to side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	3015  

Old 09-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

THOR #3952
While under inside the grill I also resealed this area where some wires and hoses go through the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	3016  
Old 09-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
I don't have any pictures but on our 2015 ACE 30.1 I used black silicone on the inside of the door frame. This is about the bottom 12 inches on each side of the door. Jim.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
One needs to be careful that sealing up the unit in some places may not end up trapping moisture and or condensation as it forms. This was a common problem I saw with large coolers and freezers that led to rot or corrosion. Other than that it's a great idea.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #5

THOR #3952
This is an area where hot/cold air can be forced into the cab area while driving down the road. I keep hearing people complain that the rv AC works fine sitting still but doesn't cool driving down the road.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 AM   #6

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
This is an area where hot/cold air can be forced into the cab area while driving down the road. I keep hearing people complain that the rv AC works fine sitting still but doesn't cool driving down the road.

I had to take my dash apart to replace the blower motor and what I found made me think twice about my buying a Thor.ace when they ran the hoses for the ac instead of cutting them to the correct length they just crammed them under the dash.the drivers side had a tee it to supply both left and right side vents... the tee was a pvc drainage pipe connector .my ace has 6 dash vents the ac box has 5 outlets one was just left going nowhere I re plumed all the vents taking out the pvc drainage pipe and running another 21/2 in ac hose to drivers vents .thors quality sucks the previous owners said they had to run the house ac when it got hot no wonder now there is so much air coming out ...