Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
CHS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Don't need it until you do....

My son bought me a set of LED flood lights for my Ford Ranger but would not fit so I figured I would install on the front of my Class C. Didn't want to tell him that I could not use them.
Boy was I wrong.
A week ago, we went to a campground in Montebello VA. called Montebello Resort. To get there you need to drive up a 7 1/2 mile long mountain road with twisties, switch backs with at times 13 degree inclines. The V10 screamed but made it up once I put in manually into 1st gear.
My wife and I came down with Covid while there and once her temp went to 102 degrees we left at 10:30 PM. Let me tell you, without those lights, it would have been much harder (if not impossible) to get down that mountain.
The moral of the story is. You never know you need them until you need them, and boy did I need them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210831_081325180_HDR.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	33227  

Old 08-31-2021, 03:12 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
213, 216, 480 in my signature thread shows how to hide one behind your grill.
(I suggest a wireless remote switch so you don't have to run wires up to your dash)

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:38 PM   #3

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
So many factory headlights are just plain poor. Most/many after market headlights are rubbish.

If you follow the IIHS crash safety ratings (and your own experience) you find many headlights from all the big names are rated poor. In this day and age it should not be that way.

Good for your son and good for you having the extra light when you needed it.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:40 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad that you were able to get out, and I hope you're both feeling better soon!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Glad that you were able to get out, and I hope you're both feeling better soon!
Thank You!
We are getting better (very slowly) We were able to get the antibody treatment and that seems to be working. It is a long road though.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
My son bought me a set of LED flood lights for my Ford Ranger but would not fit so I figured I would install on the front of my Class C. Didn't want to tell him that I could not use them.
Boy was I wrong.
A week ago, we went to a campground in Montebello VA. called Montebello Resort. To get there you need to drive up a 7 1/2 mile long mountain road with twisties, switch backs with at times 13 degree inclines. The V10 screamed but made it up once I put in manually into 1st gear.
My wife and I came down with Covid while there and once her temp went to 102 degrees we left at 10:30 PM. Let me tell you, without those lights, it would have been much harder (if not impossible) to get down that mountain.
The moral of the story is. You never know you need them until you need them, and boy did I need them.
Montebello Resort: We'll be there in October as part of our trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. It's just up the Road from Crabtree Falls, a place I used to tent camp at frequently back in the mid 70s. I can't wait to see how it's changed in 45 years.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:06 PM   #7
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Montebello Resort: We'll be there in October as part of our trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. It's just up the Road from Crabtree Falls, a place I used to tent camp at frequently back in the mid 70s. I can't wait to see how it's changed in 45 years.
Be careful on the road up. It's a very rustic (but nice) campground. NO Wifi, TV, Internet, or Cell service. f you need to make a call, you have a 2 mile trip to get service. A couple sites have sewer, most do not. Very tight navigating around park. Your unit should be ok though. I got through towing a Ford Ranger.
One word of advice. When going up the steep road, be ready to manually put it into 1st gear to get up. I know your V10 is more powerful than mine, but you are also heavier. For some reason, in automatic, going 25 mph, and with my foot to the floor, it would not downshift into 1st on it's own, it just kept going slower and slower. Scared the crap out of me. Now sure why it does that. I owned a Toyota Tacoma, and pulling a large trailer up a steep side road it did the same thing. Would not downshift on it's own going that slow.

If your coming off the Blue Ridge, I believe there is another way in that is not as steep a road. Call ahead and ask.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Be careful on the road up. It's a very rustic (but nice) campground. NO Wifi, TV, Internet, or Cell service. f you need to make a call, you have a 2 mile trip to get service. A couple sites have sewer, most do not. Very tight navigating around park. Your unit should be ok though. I got through towing a Ford Ranger.
Thanks for the info. I hope you guys feel up to normal again soon!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:17 PM   #9
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
So many factory headlights are just plain poor. Most/many after market headlights are rubbish.

If you follow the IIHS crash safety ratings (and your own experience) you find many headlights from all the big names are rated poor. In this day and age it should not be that way.

Good for your son and good for you having the extra light when you needed it.
I never realized how bad they are. Once I was able to shut the LED lights off it was like I had no lights. They are like yellow lightning bugs trying to light up the night.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:42 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Hope You and the wife feel better ok.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #11
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Hope You and the wife feel better ok.
Terry
We are, thank you. Very slowly. Coughing is the worst right now. knocks the hell out of you.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:50 AM   #12

Model: 23TB
State: Illinois
THOR #9509
How easy was it to install LED flood lights?

Please tell me a little about installing your LED flood lights. Where does the power come from? Where does the wire come into the cab? Where is the switch to turn them on and off?
Old 09-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhhoy View Post
Please tell me a little about installing your LED flood lights. Where does the power come from? Where does the wire come into the cab? Where is the switch to turn them on and off?
*I drilled into the bumper to attach the lights. Sealed each bolt hole so not to csue any rusting.
*The power is taken directly from the battery with an inline fuse.
*I installed a switch on the drivers side of the engine housing b y drilling a hole for the switch with the wiring running above the engine and away from any hot parts of the engine.
You could drill into the dash to mount the switch somewhere else if you wanted. I just found this to be easier than to try to find a way to get through the firewall, (which is always a pain in the ass) I just made sure I left enough slack to be able to remove the engine cover and pull the wires loose to be able to fully remove the cover if needed.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #14

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
THOR #20274
Quote:
Boy was I wrong.
When I had my 450 chassis I was going to put lights like that on my motorhome but many states require covers over the lights because they are not approved. The fine is very large
Old 09-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #15
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
When I had my 450 chassis I was going to put lights like that on my motorhome but many states require covers over the lights because they are not approved. The fine is very large
Most times you are only required what is the law in your home registered state.
In Tennessee, they are legal, for off road use only.
That said, I would never use them on the road, they are only for situations like the one I mentioned in the beginning.
Again, that said, I just replaced my crappy light bulbs with (street legal) LED's.
And yes, they are street legal. I have a letter from the DOT to prove it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	33392  
Old 09-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #16

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
THOR #20274
Quote:
Most times you are only required what is the law in your home registered state.
In Tennessee, they are legal, for off road use only.
That said, I would never use them on the road, they are only for situations like the one I mentioned in the beginning.
Again, that said, I just replaced my crappy light bulbs with (street legal) LED's.
And yes, they are street legal. I have a letter from the DOT to prove it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also replaced my headlights, what a difference having LEDs in there