Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The curtain we removed was heavy vinyl cloth-like brown curtain. Inside that was a very thin vinyl opaque liner. The combination of the heavy outer curtain and super thin liner guaranteed that as soon as any part of your wet body touched the liner it would stick to your body.

We removed the curtain and liner and replaced them with a heavier vinyl liner that felt like cloth rather than plastic. We did not reinstall the curtain. When we hung the new liner we started hanging it at both ends. When we got to the center there was about 3 holes in the liner that were "excess." We doubled the liner over in the center and doubled up the excess holes on hooks that already had a liner hole. We made sure that the pleat formed from the excess liner material was on the exterior side of the liner not on the shower side. In this way when the liner was spread out along the track is was exactly as long as the track with no excess hanging at the ends.

The heavier weight of the liner coupled with its cloth-like feel means the liner hangs vertical when wet and does not stick to our wet skin. In all it makes the shower seem much larger than it actually is.

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Thank you so much for the detailed information! This is very helpful! I think I'll plan on doing something similar to what you've done. I understand the clingy issue, and wouldn't want to have to deal with that! Thanks again for the really helpful info! :-)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #23

State: California
THOR #1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
The curtain we removed was heavy vinyl cloth-like brown curtain. Inside that was a very thin vinyl opaque liner. The combination of the heavy outer curtain and super thin liner guaranteed that as soon as any part of your wet body touched the liner it would stick to your body.

We removed the curtain and liner and replaced them with a heavier vinyl liner that felt like cloth rather than plastic. We did not reinstall the curtain. When we hung the new liner we started hanging it at both ends. When we got to the center there was about 3 holes in the liner that were "excess." We doubled the liner over in the center and doubled up the excess holes on hooks that already had a liner hole. We made sure that the pleat formed from the excess liner material was on the exterior side of the liner not on the shower side. In this way when the liner was spread out along the track is was exactly as long as the track with no excess hanging at the ends.

The heavier weight of the liner coupled with its cloth-like feel means the liner hangs vertical when wet and does not stick to our wet skin. In all it makes the shower seem much larger than it actually is.
Your mod sounds wonderful. Can you give a URL to the replacement liner? I've looked and there are so many I don't know which would work.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #24

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
My wife bought the liner at the Macdill AFB Exchange. It's just a typical vinyl liner. But she got the type that feels more like cloth than plastic. It is not stiff, but feels almost like cotton. Think it was also treated to prevent mold & mildew. RV is currently at dealer for warranty work. When I get it back I'll see if there is a manufacturer tag on it. Also will post pix.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #25

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
sway bars and steering stabilizer. Now I enjoy the trip also.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Nmrver,

Have you noticed an improvement with the 5 Star Tow Tune?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #27

THOR #2538
I've noticed 1 major improvement. Shifting... Before it would downshift 2 gears causing high RPMs. Now, while it still does upon occasion, mostly it shifts like it should. Also I can now run in overdrive going down the highway instead of 4th most of the time. I'm not sure it's saving gas, but it has made the transmission use all the gears. Power is better at lower RPMs ( based on 0-60 times are 4 seconds faster over stock). Lastly, I can pull the mountains much better. These observations are only my opinion, but I do recommend the tune.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #28

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
I guess I'm missing something about the 5 star tune. I drive primarily in very hilly mountainous areas, up to 8,500'. I've been averaging 8 to 8.5 mpg with lows of 7.5. I tow a 2004 CRV. I often use the tow button. I often use cruise in flat areas. I like to go about 62 mph. Strong desert winds are common.

My "5 star" tune is my right foot and engaging/disengaging the tow button. I just don't see where the 5 star tune would be be facial to me. Every once in awhile I will manually downshift but that is rare. I'm seldom in a hurry. For me I just don't see it.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #29

THOR #2538
Like I stated that was only my opinion. With that said, my right foot isn't calibrated, so I personally love my tune. You can make your own decision. After having RVs for 30 years, improvements to them always seem t help. I also lift when needed and use the tow mode downhill, uphill I haven't tried. You have a smaller RV than mine and might not want the tune, but I do see better performance. Discussions like this is why we have a forum, and I respect your opinion, although mine is different, niether one is 100% correct.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:13 AM   #30

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
For $500 I'll calibrate the right foot of yours!
Old 11-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump
For $500 I'll calibrate the right foot of yours!
The 5-Star tune is cheaper.
1997-2015 RV Tuner/Programmer Archives - 5 Star Tuning

I had a 5-Star tune in my F-350 for pulling our 5th wheel. It made a huge difference, even got about 1-mpg better when pulling.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #32
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Today's mod

A mod to the coach today and one that I hope will never get used and will eventually deteriorate from old age:

The installation or positioning of 2 each 5 foot by 7 foot (84 x 62) fire blankets. These will be strategically placed in the rear of the coach along with an additional fire extinguisher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire Blanket.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1101
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #33

THOR #2538
Great idea, I would never had thought of emergency blankets.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:38 AM   #34

State: Texas
THOR #1354
Love the ideas in this thread. Been full timing with my family (2 adults, 2 teen boys, and 2 dogs) and loving it. We have a 2015 Challenger and we started out using big tubs to hold things in place in the storage. That quickly got old so we started looking for better solutions. We settled on the ELFA drawer systems from The Container Store and we love them.

I had to add a sub-floor to each of the storage sections and used conduit straps to secure the units so that they wouldn't slide while driving. I also had to cut the rails of the drawers down to size a little bit. We ended up losing a drawer because of the height of the storage sections but I was able to add 2 units into a couple of the sections.

Those drawer hold everything from crock pot to boxes of mac & cheese and we love being able to find something without digging into a huge tub.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #35

THOR #2142
Wow, I received a SolarBlaze ($less than $20 on Amazon) for as a Christmas gift for the RV and it works, nice and easy. I installed it below the outside light next to the door, says it is good for 5 years. It is very bright and is advertized as:

SolarBlaze Bright Solar Powered Outdoor LED Light - No Tools Peel 'N Stick - Motion Sensor Detector - Wireless Exterior Weatherproof Security Lighting - No Battery Required - Dusk to Dawn Dark Sensing Auto On / Off - for Patio, Outside Wall, Stairs, Home, Deck.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1452941201

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SolarBlaze.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1294  

Old 01-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #36

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Connecticut
THOR #3421
I've got to have one Doc. Heard about them, didn't think they actually worked.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #37

THOR #2142
Bob,

It works like a night light until motion is detected then it becomes a bright light. I'll try to get some (non-flash) pictures tonight.

Doc

Old 01-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #38

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Love the turning of the locks guys! Also drove me crazy. I did this when I replaced the cheap locks with the round keyed locks! Simply but life changing!!!!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #39

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Nursx, What did you use as replacement locks? I have been looking and might as well do the turn when I replace them.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:59 PM   #40

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Padlocks4less

Tubular Chrome Cam Lock, 1-1/8" Cylinder - 2400L Key Retaining Non-Key Retaining (A) Keying Keyed Alike MEI-2400L-A--KA 3 $28.80

Padlocks, Combination padlocks, combination locks, Cabinet Locks, brass Padlocks, Sesamee padlocks, combination cabinet locks, locker locks

They were a little expensive but works so well and easy to install. Same size hole.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote