Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sirius/XM Radio

Hi Guys!
I think that I've finally got it figured out that my Axxera radio is just never going to receive XM radio...
But I've got this little Onyx XM unit, that I used to have hooked up to my Spyder's radio system...
The radio part is really easy... But where do you stick the little antenna? If I were to put it up on top of one of the side mirrors: do you think that I'd be able to get a signal?
I was figuring on putting it there because running the wiring for it would be the simplest...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Mine is on the dash up against the windshield on the drivers side. Works most of the time. Do lose the signal occasionally. I have read that some people put them in the overhead bed.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #3584
Mine is in the same place, drivers side. Be careful when you put the night shade down to have the antenna on the windshield side or you won't be able to receive a signal.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Ernie View Post
Mine is on the dash up against the windshield on the drivers side. Works most of the time. Do lose the signal occasionally. I have read that some people put them in the overhead bed.
I guess that I could paste it to the ceiling in the overhead bunk, and give it a try...
Since I've got a Class C rig: I sort of thought that all of the stuff sitting over top of the driver's compartment, would block the signal...
Old 08-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
After many years I cancelled our service. They started out with "no ads". Now that's all you get...between every song...and then you have these wannabe disc jockeys that feel they have to talk 5 minutes telling all their knowledge between songs as well. They let you know...."you're listening to Sirius XM Classic Rock"! As if I didn't know...hell...I'm paying for it and I set the radio on that station! Lastly...the service has become so poor. In PCB it cuts out more than half the time and it's not just when behind the sky scrapper condos. I'm done with them. Now they call every week and offer to re-subscribe me for only 20% of what I was paying before if I'll give them another chance. Bob...throw it in the trash!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Hey watch it, that's my former employer you're talking about LOL (Worked for SXM 15+ years).

The antenna should work in the bunk above the cab (the metal in the cab roof will block it but the framing above the bunk won't).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks, Jamie!

I still haven't found "My" Station yet: I listen to crap that really isn't fit for human consumption...
AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult
Ted Nugent
Jethro Tull
Yngwie Malmsteen
Uriah Heep
Mahogany Rush
Deep Purple
Ozzie

Channel 38 seems to come about the closest...
Old 08-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #8

THOR #11130
Maybe you should go back and slap some people around. It used to be a great service. They've gone too commercial for me anymore. To much chatter...not enough of what they built their business on. I'm working on installing my 8-Track right now...Go Elvis..Aloha From Hawaii!!! Factoid...I actually have 6 brand new 8-Track players...still in the box!!! (Dad's Basement)
Old 08-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have a subscription I use in my car. Then I added (for per month $5) the app to my cell phone. I can now Bluetooth it in my other cars and my motor home. I have access to it almost anywhere via this app.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #10

THOR #11130
I'm gonna get a job with them as one of those "shot out, wannabe disc jockeys" and haunt y'all while you travel. I'll play sounds like tires blowing out and windows blowing off...you know...the good music!!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Hi Guys!

I think that I've finally got it figured out that my Axxera radio is just never going to receive XM radio...

But I've got this little Onyx XM unit, that I used to have hooked up to my Spyder's radio system...

The radio part is really easy... But where do you stick the little antenna? If I were to put it up on top of one of the side mirrors: do you think that I'd be able to get a signal?

I was figuring on putting it there because running the wiring for it would be the simplest...

Does this Onyx XM unit plug into the Axxera radio aux input or does it stand alone with an electrical connection from the 12v outlet and has its own speaker? Considering a purchase of one.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #12091
As Miramar Owner stated you should be able to run SiriusXM app through both radios using Bluetooth. As long as you have a currently active subscription you can get access through the app for $4.99 per month. You can stream SiriusXM anywhere using the app.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Does this Onyx XM unit plug into the Axxera radio aux input or does it stand alone with an electrical connection from the 12v outlet and has its own speaker? Considering a purchase of one.
I'm planning on plugging it into the auxiliary input (for it's output!), and then using the 12 volt outlet for power.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Sirius/XM Radio

Good luck [emoji1303]
Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post

I have an Onyx and it plugs into the Aux jack on the Axxera. We are no longer using SiriusXM but if we do later it will be the streaming service.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Thanks!!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I guess that I'm just not ready for this whole "Bluetooth" thing...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1533853451
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funny-teeth-weird-pics-images-free-funny-people-with-blue-tooth-teeth-pics-images-14.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	12148  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Maybe you should go back and slap some people around. It used to be a great service. They've gone too commercial for me anymore. To much chatter...not enough of what they built their business on. I'm working on installing my 8-Track right now...Go Elvis..Aloha From Hawaii!!! Factoid...I actually have 6 brand new 8-Track players...still in the box!!! (Dad's Basement)
Interesting. We got a 3 month free trial with the new MH. I'm listening to Willie's Roadhouse right now (streaming on computer) and it is just one song after another. The DJ took about 30 seconds a half hour ago to talk about her tomatoes but that is fine with me since she has played about 15 songs without any interruptions since. Guess it depends on what you are listening to.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #19

THOR #11130
It does...and also how good the music is. I also think they get into the sauce occasionally at night and don't know when to quit. For the most part I'm a night rider...love driving at night vs. day. This is when I listen mostly while the wife sleeps or reads or when traveling alone. I loved the XM option and have been a subscriber for many years...its just the changes since the merger I don't care for.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It does...and also how good the music is. I also think they get into the sauce occasionally at night and don't know when to quit. For the most part I'm a night rider...love driving at night vs. day. This is when I listen mostly while the wife sleeps or reads or when traveling alone. I loved the XM option and have been a subscriber for many years...its just the changes since the merger I don't care for.
Since the merger the channels between XM & Sirius have aligned so they are the same on either service (some Sirius channels moved to XM & some XM channels moved to Sirius and some channels simply went away).

In addition: If you stream using the app you'll find there are more channels online (e.g. there are extra "streaming only" channels available now) as there is more bandwidth available via internet than satellite--which also means the streaming channels sound better. (Some of my favorite channels are streaming only now )
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote