Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
adding solar panel to 2019 hurricane

has anyone done this to the new 29m that comes with the Go power controller?

Old 03-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no, but I would start with a single 100w or similar 12v solar panel, plug it in, and see how it 'works'...(which is to say, it will help to trickle charge the house battery(s)...)

then you can add more panels if you feel the need to in the future, whether mounted on the roof, or simply set out for the sun when you reach your destination, as the Alternator will be charging the House battery(s) while you are driving, and the generator when you are parked and need the air conditioning, etc.
Of course, none of this matters if you are mostly plugged into shore power most of the time.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:50 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
The wiring and GoPower controller that typically comes installed is a PWM-30 (~70% efficient vs MPPT style ~95% efficient) and will support up to about 400 watts of solar (two GoPower 170 watt monocrystaline panels or other equiv), which with a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries (four if you have room) to replace your two stock 12 volt batteries will give you decent boondocking capability.
If you "start small" (like a single 100 watt panel) it is important that your first panel be the same (open voltage and current) as what you plan to add in the future because like batteries, and chains, your voltage and current are limited by the weakest link.
Regardless of what you do, every factory installed controller I've seen has come set for AGM batteries and not Flooded, so you will need to check the settings and adjust as required in order to get the best life/performance out of them.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 AM   #4

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
The wiring and GoPower controller that typically comes installed is a PWM-30 (~70% efficient vs MPPT style ~95% efficient) and will support up to about 400 watts of solar (two GoPower 170 watt monocrystaline panels or other equiv), which with a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries (four if you have room) to replace your two stock 12 volt batteries will give you decent boondocking capability.
If you "start small" (like a single 100 watt panel) it is important that your first panel be the same (open voltage and current) as what you plan to add in the future because like batteries, and chains, your voltage and current are limited by the weakest link.
Regardless of what you do, every factory installed controller I've seen has come set for AGM batteries and not Flooded, so you will need to check the settings and adjust as required in order to get the best life/performance out of them.
that wouldn't work on the 29m... but thanks for posting..
Old 03-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Our prior RV was an ACE 29.2 which is smaller than your 29M and I easily fit four 100W Renogy panels and controller. I believe your battery compartment is also the same size (two 12V batteries share space with hydro pump?) and I first just change the 12V's for 2 golf cart batteries (wired in series) and then later reconfiged the relays in the bay so I could fit four 6V batteries.
I'm not saying you need the same, just what worked nice for me.