Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
We were told our axis is pre wired for solar but have not seen anything on coach or in manual that shows how to add solar panels and use.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:41 AM   #22

State: California
THOR #15501
Same question. We have an "18" ACE 29.3. On the roof is a plug-in that states "solar". However can't seem to figure out where it goes into the coach, battery bank or converter/charger/inverter bay under the bed. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Remember that solar panel ratings are theoretical based on pristine and perfect conditions. If you install (2) 100W panel you likely will never have 200W of output... or even 190W for that matter.

I had (2) Renogy 160W Flexible Panels on my old coach and moved them to my Magnitude with the Go Power 10A Controller.

I have the 30A Renogy Rover MPPT Charge Controller from my old coach as well I am debating about using on my Magnitude. It was an outstanding Charge Controller for those (2) 160W panels. On a sunny day I could run the 5000BTU auxilliary A/C unit in the garage of our Outlaw without a problem. It also has an Equalization Mode for the batteries as well.

The only issue is the Renogy Rover Charge Controller is huge and heavy. I may look at another option to eventually replace the Go-Power 10A with a 30A.

Unfortunately you cannot get the direct replacement Go Power 30A Controller because the GP-PWM SQ Controllers are only sold directly to the RV manufacturers.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #24

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
while many of us here, and those of us with some experience with solar, will tell you many different 'things'...but the reality is that you and your usage and your needs and your expectations and what you install and where you are parked and when the sun is out and whether you are parked in the shade, etc., will all GREATLY impact your experience with 'solar power'... many of us say true things, and many of us say things that may not have much impact on your situation.

A PWM controller is just fine. Two simple 100w panels, that are easy to carry and manage, are just fine. Don't over complicate it, but also don't expect to be able to do 'everything' just because you now have 'solar power', as there are just too many variables for anyone to be able to tell you 'exactly' what YOU should do. Give it a try with some simple hardware and see where it goes from there.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #25
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Remember that solar panel ratings are theoretical based on pristine and perfect conditions. If you install (2) 100W panel you likely will never have 200W of output... or even 190W for that matter.

I had (2) Renogy 160W Flexible Panels on my old coach and moved them to my Magnitude with the Go Power 10A Controller.

I have the 30A Renogy Rover MPPT Charge Controller from my old coach as well I am debating about using on my Magnitude. It was an outstanding Charge Controller for those (2) 160W panels. On a sunny day I could run the 5000BTU auxilliary A/C unit in the garage of our Outlaw without a problem. It also has an Equalization Mode for the batteries as well.

The only issue is the Renogy Rover Charge Controller is huge and heavy. I may look at another option to eventually replace the Go-Power 10A with a 30A.

Unfortunately you cannot get the direct replacement Go Power 30A Controller because the GP-PWM SQ Controllers are only sold directly to the RV manufacturers.
Chris

You can get the go power controllers from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-P...09718619&psc=1

I have the 30Amp on the Accolade which wwas installed with my solar add-on at purchase.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #26

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Solar panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Chris

You can get the go power controllers from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-P...09718619&psc=1

I have the 30Amp on the Accolade which wwas installed with my solar add-on at purchase.

Thanks Dave....

I know you can get Go Power controllers but you can’t get the exact same model and footprint as the ones installed by the RV manufacturers.

I was trying to avoid dealing with make the hole size from the stock one since it is recessed.

I’ll have to look at the exact dimensions again but the ones you can buy online are little longer I believe. The ones the RV manufacturers install are square and the ones online are rectangular.

I’m not sure I have space to fit it with the adjacent accessories. The Go Powe website states the OEM controllers are not available for sale.

I may take a closer look at this one through the off season to see if I can make it plug and play.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Zamp solar 30A Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T36XBKI...p_mob_ap_share

They must private label these. Similar size and looks like the Go Power ones.

That's what I went with.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #28
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thanks Dave....

I know you can get Go Power controllers but you can’t get the exact same model and footprint as the ones installed by the RV manufacturers.

I was trying to avoid dealing with make the hole size from the stock one since it is recessed.

I’ll have to look at the exact dimensions again but the ones you can buy online are little longer I believe. The ones the RV manufacturers install are square and the ones online are rectangular.

I’m not sure I have space to fit it with the adjacent accessories. The Go Powe website states the OEM controllers are not available for sale.

I may take a closer look at this one through the off season to see if I can make it plug and play.
Chris,

Where is your controller mounted? Mine is in the storage compartment right next to my battery compartment (slide tray). For me a different size wouldn't matter because looks are not important. What I want to check out is getting the bluetooth enabled controller so I don't have to go outside to see what is happening and check to see if mine is wired to house batteries only or if they wired it to both banks house and chassis. General RV has not been forthcoming or informative on how they did the install.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5067.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	21503

Oh mine is in the entryway..
Old 11-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #17465
I played with all those different controllers until I bough my Victron. These are the best bang for the buck!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VICTRON1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	21662