Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #10354
Solar reflective film

Tmart has a product:
https://www.tmart.com/Waterproof-Win...m_p404266.html

claiming 85% solar radiation reduction. It is available in multiple sies up to 20"x10' (approx) for $12.

If this is applied to a Thor Vegas/Axis large windshield, will it cause it to crack???

I want to apply this to the side windows because they are the most annoying sun intrusion.

Comments?

Old 06-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well I had "Ceramic tint" professionally install on EVER SINGLE WINDOW including the Windshield. It rejects something like 98 or 99% (not sure on exact # but its the most effiecent tint you can buy right now).

It was almost clear tint (called "85%" - so 15% tint) on all the windows (Yes - I put over the factory tinted windows - it reduced the heat tremendously!) plus the DS and PS windows that were NOT tinted from factory. But I went wtih darker ceramic tint - I think 22% or 25% (to match the rest of the windows in cockpit).

No problems with crack windshield or any other problems for that matter. Im fact I think it would be better for the windshield it since it keeps the heat out of the RV much longer than without. So the glass will be cooler?? What a differnce this stuff made ... esp in the cockpit area.

Now if you have "double pane" windows on the sides of your RV (which you dont) it might cause some problem from what I read.

The only thing I would do different is use like 50% tint for the DS and PS in the cock pit area. Its very dark inside now when driving - hard to see the dash at certain times (even in the middle of the day). But its not a deal breaker.

Also this window tint made the inside glass like mirrors. You see the refections of the dash, dash vents, the other side of the RV and the traffic in the wrong side windows now. Very annoying but I got use to it. You might find some low relectivity tint somewhere that will do better than mine in the cockpit.

I highly recommend ceramic tint. I did my research and nothing reject the heat / uv rays etc. better than Ceramic.

Before the tint you can put your hand on the dinette table (where the sun was shining for like an hour) and it was very hot to the touch. Now its barely warm. The factory tint is color only.... no UV blockers at all (is my understanding).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #3

THOR #12231
I just clicked your link. Thats Mirror tint.

I would NOT get Mirror tint.

For one IMO it wont look right on the RV.

2). wont match the rest of your RV.

3). will relect to your neigbors while camping or shine on your car that might be parked next it it and cause problems (bubble paint, exceissive heat etc), what about traffic = blinding cars etc. Are windows are pretty much straight up and down so (not like a car where it will refect UP).

Thats my 2 cents.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 06-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It might not match the rest of the RV: but it sure would look cool!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well I had "Ceramic tint" professionally install on EVER SINGLE WINDOW including the Windshield. It rejects something like 98 or 99% (not sure on exact # but its the most effiecent tint you can buy right now).

It was almost clear tint (called "85%" - so 15% tint) on all the windows (Yes - I put over the factory tinted windows - it reduced the heat tremendously!) plus the DS and PS windows that were NOT tinted from factory. But I went wtih darker ceramic tint - I think 22% or 25% (to match the rest of the windows in cockpit).

No problems with crack windshield or any other problems for that matter. Im fact I think it would be better for the windshield it since it keeps the heat out of the RV much longer than without. So the glass will be cooler?? What a differnce this stuff made ... esp in the cockpit area.

Now if you have "double pane" windows on the sides of your RV (which you dont) it might cause some problem from what I read.

The only thing I would do different is use like 50% tint for the DS and PS in the cock pit area. Its very dark inside now when driving - hard to see the dash at certain times (even in the middle of the day). But its not a deal breaker.

Also this window tint made the inside glass like mirrors. You see the refections of the dash, dash vents, the other side of the RV and the traffic in the wrong side windows now. Very annoying but I got use to it. You might find some low relectivity tint somewhere that will do better than mine in the cockpit.

I highly recommend ceramic tint. I did my research and nothing reject the heat / uv rays etc. better than Ceramic.

Before the tint you can put your hand on the dinette table (where the sun was shining for like an hour) and it was very hot to the touch. Now its barely warm. The factory tint is color only.... no UV blockers at all (is my understanding).
We also put professional tint on the windshield and driver's and passenger side windows. Man, it was one of the best upgrades we have done.

Cuts the heat and glare TREMENDOUSLY. And I am no longer going down the road looking at the reflection of the dash ....
Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I din't think that stuff is meant for automobiles...mostly buildings and fixed structures. I'm a fan of ceramic tint as well. Did the cars with it...amazing difference. If you're talking about the side windows of the cockpit...it would most likely be illegal as a cop couldn't see through it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I'll just say mirrored tint is prob not a good idea.... unless you want to blind all the other drivers that are around you on the road.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Don't let that get out...all these kids with light bars on their two-wheel drive pickups will put this crap all over them. Blinding others at night is their cool.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #9

Model: 34J Windsport
State: Louisiana
THOR #15123
We had our 34J done about 3 weeks ago, with the Ceramic Tint and it was a great investment.

I went outside after work on Monday, 90*out, late afternoon, installed new tune in 5 Star and programmed MH. Stayed inside with no A/C and door open, never broke a sweat. Keeps MH crazy cool during day w/o a/c on...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tinted windows.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	17954  
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie
pmbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #10

THOR #12231
yeah this Ceramic tint works great in my RV as well. Its allows the AC to cool down the inside much quicker and it can maintain the temp inside much easier.

I use to put the reflective bubble wrap in all the windows but now most of the time I dont even bother unless I'm going to be in one spot a long time (all day +).

But while traveling I just pull the shades down and lower the front blind until we are ready to drive again. Much quicker and easier than the "bubble wrap dance" we use to do.