Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #10040
solar for windsport 29M

I am planning on putting solar on the roof. There are 2 jacks up there already but I can't find where the wires run to so I can hook the charge controller to the batteries. Any ideas?

Old 11-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Assuming that the wiring will run pretty near vertical in it's descent from the roof: can you use that as a guide, to get you in the neighborhood?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 AM   #3

THOR #10040
It's some what close, wires are under bed where the inverter, power supply are located.
jdmaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Typically it will be up to you to run the wires from the charge controller to the batteries. Our Hurricane was not pre-wired so we ended up running our own wiring from the roof all the way to the batteries (solar panels to the charge controller, then charge controller to the batteries.)
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #5

THOR #10040
Thanks John for your input. I know how to wire solar panel, charge controller as I have 16 panels I installed on my house, wired and hooked them up. Was on the roof of my rv yesterday and did some measuring and I will be able to install 12 flexable panels up there for a total of 1200 watts. In full sunlight I should be able to produce around 60amps.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaag View Post
Thanks John for your input. I know how to wire solar panel, charge controller as I have 16 panels I installed on my house, wired and hooked them up. Was on the roof of my rv yesterday and did some measuring and I will be able to install 12 flexable panels up there for a total of 1200 watts. In full sunlight I should be able to produce around 60amps.
60 amps? Don’t think you’ll be able to get 60 amps unless you get a bigger coach with a bigger roof Assuming you can generate 1200 watts that would give you a max of 10 amps. The average 4x5’ panel gives you about 265 watts, or about 13 watts per sq/ft, multiply that times the number of panels you can mount. Remember these numbers are in full sun. Not trying to burst your bubble just don’t want someone to try to sell you something that can’t do what want.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
1200 watts? Wow!
We're all going to want to see pictures of your setup!
I'm only looking at about a 400 watt setup... (eventually)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #8

THOR #10040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
60 amps? Don’t think you’ll be able to get 60 amps unless you get a bigger coach with a bigger roof Assuming you can generate 1200 watts that would give you a max of 10 amps. The average 4x5’ panel gives you about 265 watts, or about 13 watts per sq/ft, multiply that times the number of panels you can mount. Remember these numbers are in full sun. Not trying to burst your bubble just don’t want someone to try to sell you something that can’t do what want.
www.outsidesupply.com/rv-solar-guide/
Old 11-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #9

THOR #10040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
1200 watts? Wow!
We're all going to want to see pictures of your setup!
I'm only looking at about a 400 watt setup... (eventually)
Ok, will do.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:16 AM   #10

THOR #10040
Quote:
Not sure but I think you figuring it wrong. 12, 100 watt panels each producing 5.4 amps at 20vdc in full sun all hooked in parrallel should produce around 60amps
Old 11-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
My sincere apology, you’re right, I figured at 120vac when I did the math!!!

Not sure you can get 12 panels on the roof when you take in to account everything else up there, will make it difficult to move around to clean and do maintenance. Before starting I would use tape, ruler, and stud finder to do a layout for mounting locations taking in to account being able to move around on the roof.

Please do updates as you proceed, this will be a project that I’m sure will interest many owners!

I w
Old 11-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #12

THOR #10040
Quote:
My sincere apology, you’re right, I figured at 120vac when I did the math!!!

Not sure you can get 12 panels on the roof when you take in to account everything else up there, will make it difficult to move around to clean and do maintenance. Before starting I would use tape, ruler, and stud finder to do a layout for mounting locations taking in to account being able to move around on the roof.

Please do updates as you proceed, this will be a project that I’m sure will interest many owners!

I w
No problem dave, I made a drawing and layout with measurements several days ago and have been working with placement of the panels. Also I have been researching fastening the panels down. Since they are flexible and can be walked upon I do not have to be that critical of where I place them.

Tags
solar