Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Most of the ones I’ve looked at closely had a simple bracket bolted to wall with a backing plate on inside. Here’s a picture I took of one such bracket. It appears a formed hat channel with a few holes drilled in it. For heavier tire the same approach could be used, just larger bracket to spread the load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92A96302-0B1D-45D6-B299-88AE3733D503.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	14362  

Old 11-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
This is of backing plate inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B3F922FA-D49C-476E-A29D-FC948C174B80.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	14364  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
That looks pretty heavy duty - esp for 16 inch rim.

If any larger I would try and add a 1/3 to 1/2 thick plywood backer - make it as large as you can (and still keep it hidden in side the RV) to help spead out the load. Or try to add something that goes to the floor (inside RV) to add support?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:04 AM   #24

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
I added a “T” shaped tire carrier fabricated from 3 inch channel. Its bolted to the bumper and also bolted through the back wall of the RV. Careful measuring to locate a wall stud in the back wall where the shower access is was the key. I was able to work through the access door for the shower and drill through the vertical channel, a wood spacer needed to keep the tire away from back wall, back wall and.interior stud anchored everything in place. I also added a quarter inch steel bar inside to stiffen everything up. Overkill is the word.No wiggling or wobbling under way and it’s solid. Survived a thousand mile trip so far. Our trip to Alaska next year will really test it and I’ll let you know how it worked.
You just have to have faith when you drill that first hole through the back wall. LOL
In hindsight I would have mounted the tire lower Than I did. It’s a load to pick up and bolt in place. I had more trouble finding a spare rim that fit and was reluctant to pay $75 for a used one. The extra hole for the Dually made me scramble.
Well played sir, I like your handy work. Did you make a plate with welded studs or just bolts.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #25

State: Virginia
THOR #8138
I have the same/similar spare tire mount on my Four Winds 26 B. It was a factory option and installation. It's very solid even though I hope I never have to take it off. The main reason I went with this is I've discovered that usually when you need an emergency tire replacement the tire you want will be not available 50% of the time. It give me peace of mind as does my AAA and Good Sams emergency roadside service. When it comes to RVing cross country like I do I'm a Belt AND Suspenders kind of guy.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:43 AM   #26

Model: 25.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6946
I attached the rim to the channel by welding in 2-studs to the channel.
Originally I was going to add stiffener bars to the channels but found when everything was bolted in place it was more than adequate.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
I made a spare wheel carrier when we had the big Rv's out of box section welded to the tow bar, threaded bar and 2 aluminium discs. Once the tyre was sandwiched between the two aluminium discs and the tyre cover was on, it looked pretty cool. I only ever carried the tyre as the 19.5 inch wheel, tyre combo was way too heavy and I called out tyre repair guys when we did have blowouts. Twice. In France on the side of the autoroute (freeway) where it's far too dangerous to change wheels.