Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor ACE 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Nevada
THOR #5275
Spare tire carrier

I noticed this ACE today at a truck stop. How are they mounting the spare tire and where do you buy this kit?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6677.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	14174Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6676.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	14175

I attached 2 photos as examples

Old 11-21-2018, 02:21 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
WHOAAA! I would never nor could I imagine what it is fastened to! Especially with a 19.5" wheel which weighs in the neighborhood of 130# with tire mounted. I bought this one for my tire, it is a Roadmaster and runs about $595 but that is cheaper than when the weight of that tire and wheel ruins that back wall. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2419.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	14193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2420.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	14194  

Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah to do it right you would really have to add supports inside the wall to hold the extra weight. Over time it will just tear up your wall.

I like the hitch mount tire carrier - but I have a bike rack on the back of mine half the time.

Others have rigged up a tire carrier under the rearend of the RV behind the bumper/hitch - simular to a pickup truck spare tire carrier.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #4

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

I like the hitch mount tire carrier - but I have a bike rack on the back of mine half the time.

Others have rigged up a tire carrier under the rearend of the RV behind the bumper/hitch - simular to a pickup truck spare tire carrier.
Yeah, I struggled with the bike rack thing and didnt want to add another dual hitch so I decided to just carry the bikes on the back of the toad.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I use the Roadmaster mount as well. Expensive but wonderfully made. It’ll outlast several RVs. Allows you to carry the spare without having to lift it up to the mount and you can still use a cargo carrier, bike rack or even a toad. It’s a good solution especially for 19.5 or 22 inchers.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:34 AM   #6

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepetroski View Post
I noticed this ACE today at a truck stop...snip...
In his defense, he has no rear compartment and maybe thru-bolted under the bed. I'd love to. I'm hanging mine off the hitch.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:16 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Just curious as to why you would want to carry a spare wheel instead of using something like a fix a flat can and a tire repair kit? Also, do you carry a heavy duty jack? I dont think i would have the space in my Thor vegas 24.1 RV storage for the jack.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:01 AM   #8

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
what if tire has a 4 '' cut. is fix a flat going to fix it?
Old 11-28-2018, 03:09 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigwelder View Post
what if tire has a 4 '' cut. is fix a flat going to fix it?
For sure not! I do have roadside assistance for such sever damage as a 4" cut. Just not sure i want to carry around the tire+jack+tools for a not as likely event.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
For sure not! I do have roadside assistance for such sever damage as a 4" cut. Just not sure i want to carry around the tire+jack+tools for a not as likely event.
Try getting roadside assistance out in the boonies without cell coverage, just saying. 20 ton bottle jack, BTW.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #11

THOR #1620
For those who travel to not so populated areas where first you may not have a signal, second it hard telling how long it will take someone to get there and third just the security of having the spare. I carry a 20 ton bottle jack, takes up very little space. Piece of mind is priceless. Now if I didnt have a spare my option would be if on the rear, just remove the blown tire, if on the front, remove one of the rear duals on the lightest side and put on the front until I could get to a repair facility.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #12

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
In his defense, he has no rear compartment and maybe thru-bolted under the bed. I'd love to. I'm hanging mine off the hitch.
The 30.4 has the bed against the back wall so that is a very valid point. I personally would not feel good about a 150# tire tugging at my back wall though. After all we are only talking about 1/4" lauan and foam core.
PS, the 32.1 has a rear bath so the bolts could be hidden under the sink
Old 11-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepetroski View Post
I noticed this ACE today at a truck stop. How are they mounting the spare tire and where do you buy this kit?Attachment 14174Attachment 14175

It’s possible the tire carrier was a do-it-yourself project. Hanging tires off back wall is/was common with 16” tires that weigh about 75 pounds, but I have only seen a few 19.5 tires mounted that way.

The side view looks to me like a fairly large plate was used to distribute the tire’s weight on wall — maybe as large as 18~20 inches in size vertically. If width is about the same, it could span two wall studs, making it fairly strong.

My old “C” had 16” tire mounted off back wall, but used a much smaller hat channel which is what I’ve seen used most often on back walls of C motorhomes. And as gnach suggested, it had a backing plate on inside. For a heavier 19.5” tire I’d want something stronger, which is what makes me think this may have been a custom built carrier.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #14

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
Just curious as to why you would want to carry a spare wheel instead of using something like a fix a flat can and a tire repair kit? Also, do you carry a heavy duty jack? I dont think i would have the space in my Thor vegas 24.1 RV storage for the jack.
Just a side note, I doubt a can of fix a flat would be able to inflate your tire enough to drive on, just a thought. Barring a catastrophic failure a can of fix a flat is better than nothing though!
Old 11-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #15

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
who is going to hold that tire when someone is removing the bolts?
Old 11-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #16

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
... Barring a catastrophic failure a can of fix a flat is better than nothing though!
2 or 3 cans and what a mess!

That is a serious mounting plate. UniStrut inside could span across the back. The rear bumper on the Vegas is not worthless. I'd like to see a swing-away tire and storage carrier mounted like the off road guys do, like Smitty-bilt or Aluminess. Especially for going to Alaska. A custom built bumper would be quite pricey but I think the existing could be reinforced to work.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigwelder View Post
who is going to hold that tire when someone is removing the bolts?
That part is easy. You can weld studs that support wheel when installing or removing, and then bolt it down with lug nuts. That’s how I built my present spare carrier.

My previous C was a little different if I recall correctly. The carrier had a lip on it that i could hook the wheel’s center hole on so I could then use bolts.

For a heavier wheel I’d use both — support and studs — to make it easier. Much like a wheel is installed on a rear axle.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
His wife is in the shower holding it with a rope. It helps keep unwanted noise out of the cab as well while traveling.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I just bought a spare tire carrier that attaches to my existing trailer hitch. I did have to buy a trailer hitch extender so that the spare tire/rim would not touch the rear of my coach. I added anti wobble brackets to keep the entire spare tire holder at the hitch to keep it from moving around and making noises while driving. I didn't want to travel across country without a spare tire. I was able to locate a factory take off rim for my Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis for $47.00 which included shipping from Kentucky to California.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #20

Model: 25.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6946
Get Creative

I added a “T” shaped tire carrier fabricated from 3 inch channel. Its bolted to the bumper and also bolted through the back wall of the RV. Careful measuring to locate a wall stud in the back wall where the shower access is was the key. I was able to work through the access door for the shower and drill through the vertical channel, a wood spacer needed to keep the tire away from back wall, back wall and.interior stud anchored everything in place. I also added a quarter inch steel bar inside to stiffen everything up. Overkill is the word.No wiggling or wobbling under way and it’s solid. Survived a thousand mile trip so far. Our trip to Alaska next year will really test it and I’ll let you know how it worked.
You just have to have faith when you drill that first hole through the back wall. LOL
In hindsight I would have mounted the tire lower Than I did. It’s a load to pick up and bolt in place. I had more trouble finding a spare rim that fit and was reluctant to pay $75 for a used one. The extra hole for the Dually made me scramble.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6F2D736D-FD3F-43C6-94F5-293BCFBCB091.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	14359   Click image for larger version

Name:	37320AF7-4902-4C79-839C-4F001DE6758F.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	14360  

Name:	09AD62DD-A421-4006-8549-AB43AC51BCE5.jpg