Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Spare tire carrier - 2016 Vegas 24.1

My wife and I are taking a 28 day caravan to Baja in February with Baja Amigos.

As the Vegas has no spare from factory I want to add one for this trip. Anyone add one and, if so, how? I'm thinking either buying a hitch model carrier or making one for the hitch.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
don't know about the vegas, but my class c had brackets under it for an optional spare tire rack.
I was going to have a welding shop make up one, but ended up ordering it from thor.

it pivots on a couple bolts or pins through holes in the tabs you can see, and at the 3rd corner, under that bar code sticker, is a hole. A stud sticking down from above goes through the hole and a nut holds it up in place.

Simple, and it works..... but I wouldn't want to remove the tire or place the flat back up without a floor jack. I'll let my roadside service take care of it.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire mount.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	721  
Old 08-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
This may help:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...egas-1322.html

Bruce
Old 08-28-2015, 12:56 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I considered carrying a spare, and decided not to. We had blowouts twice on our previous coach, likely due to the Florida heat. Both times, they brought a new tire and mounted it. The charge for the tire was the same as I paid for the rest of the tires at a competitive tire shop. It took about 4 hours from blowout to back on the road, with Good Sam RV.

We bought the Vegas with an 8 year tire warranty from the dealer, for a reasonable price. I have changed plenty of tires in my time, but now I prefer to watch the tire guy do the work.

I salute all you do it yourselfers. If we traveled in more remote areas, I would want a spare, too. I am choosing to avoid the extra weight, but I do carry an extra tire for my toad, since it is an odd size.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:03 AM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
the only reason I chose to carry one is that I don't want to be at the mercy of some guy in podunk on Sunday evening to have a tire the right size that he's willing to sell at a fair price. I agree, have no intention of changing the spare.... can't since I don't have a jack and tire tools, but I have a tire for him when he gets to me.
I also carry a plug kit and compressor, so if push comes to shove and its not a blow out, i can get myself going if I really must.
One rv I looked at had a spare but it was not mounted on a rim..... also an interesting approach I think, to save weight
Old 08-28-2015, 02:02 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Did you know there used to be a town in Iowa called Podunk Center? Sorry, off topic.

In my experience (twice), Good Sam called a tire service from their vendor list. I suspect the other services do the same. Part of the reason it took 4 hours was that they had to drive a ways and were on another service call.

I, too, carry a plug kit and a compressor, just in case. The trend in cars is no spare, replaced by a inflation kit.

PS. Check the donut spare, if you have on in your car trunk. A friend in the business said it was common to find them flat when needed.