Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Yolo44,
I have the same problem stuffing an oversize motorcycle tire on the back of my bike. I have to deflate first, then inflate it once it's on the bike.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #102

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Why does the wheel and tire lean back rather than stand upright?
They do that for two reasons, clearance, and getting the weight more centered on top of the post.

For anyone who has or is considering a hitch mounted carrier I strongly suggest you purchase and use a hitch tightener. The weight of a spare bouncing on a hitch mount can cause damage to the receiver and hitch if not properly secured.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	5494
Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #103

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Seeing as how our Vegas is using the Curt hitch spare tire mount I agree with what SuperD says regarding the hitch tightner...it is a good addition.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #104

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolo44 View Post
Metalman:It sure is ,that wasn't the problem though. I had the same difficulty as JoeDS posted, but by letting the air out of the tire I was able to wrestle it into the space between the hitch and cross member. Again I'd like to thank mrc1010 for his post I really wouldn't like to have a spare hanging off of the back of my coach.
Now that i'm back from our trip I will tackle this again. I hate to have to deflate though. Because then you will have to deflate to get it back out I suppose. I also believe I will have to relocate the trailer towing electrical plug to get more space.

Incidently I bought the Hitch mount carrier, and it will work, but if you are going on a ferry you might have to pay extra for that additional 1.5 feet. We just went to Newfoundland then Labrador. 4 ferry trips. They charge by the foot.

PS the ferry from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland was an overnight. We got a room on-board since you cant stay with your RV. I was super fun. Large ship, nice cafeteria and dinning room Highly recommend it. The room is almost free since you don't have to pay for a campground before you leave and when you arrive since it takes 8-12 hours for the trip depending on which ferry you take.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #105

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Pete,

I too hate the idea of no spare tire. I posted my MOD last year on this Forum, so for those who have seen this MOD before please forgive my repeat.

Curt 31006 Spare Tire Mount for 2" receiver for $71.04 with tax P&H $80.92.

Steel Wheel, RIm 16X6 - 3872 Reconditioned OEM - Bright White Full Face Painted (WheelsandCaps.com). SKU: STL03872USTL03872U50 for $69.92 with tax P&H $95.

Michlein LT225/75R16E LTX M/S BSW for $205.98 at local Clark Tire.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1491008621
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1491008625

Doc
Doc

This could be an extremely "dumb" question, but how far above the rear bumper does the top of the tire ride?

We have a 25.2 (and of course the rear slide)

Was wondering if the rear slide might clear the tire on this setup...

I know it would block the rear baggage compartment, however, that could be a solution if the slide would clear
Old 07-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #106

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Doc

This could be an extremely "dumb" question, but how far above the rear bumper does the top of the tire ride?

We have a 25.2 (and of course the rear slide)

Was wondering if the rear slide might clear the tire on this setup...

I know it would block the rear baggage compartment, however, that could be a solution if the slide would clear
If it doesn't work, check out the Roadmaster version, which you can pivot to the ground to easily get tire on/off, so maybe you could pivot it down before opening rear slide.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 AM   #107

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
MoMike,

I just checked it is 24" above the bumper. BUT, looking at the Curt tire mount, the Vertical bar could be shortned 4" to 6" with a little bit of cutting and rewelding.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:31 AM   #108

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Had my spare mounted on a Curt tire mount until today.
We are going to be carrying 2 electric bicycles on a hitch mount and the Curt mount was in the way.
Moved the tire into the drivers side rear storage area of my 24.1.
It fits very well so that's where it will live for now.
The Curt mount has taken up residence in the attic for the time being.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:05 AM   #109

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
MoMike,

I just checked it is 24" above the bumper. BUT, looking at the Curt tire mount, the Vertical bar could be shortned 4" to 6" with a little bit of cutting and rewelding.

Doc
Thanks for the quick reply, Doc..

We are trying to decide between a rear mount (since it looks like yours wouldn't block our rear slide) and an under coach arrangement.

Was crawling around measuring, and it looks like a spare and rim could fit between the CHASSIS BEAMS behind the gas tank...
Old 07-17-2017, 03:13 AM   #110

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, Doc..

We are trying to decide between a rear mount (since it looks like yours wouldn't block our rear slide) and an under coach arrangement.

Was crawling around measuring, and it looks like a spare and rim could fit between the CHASSIS BEAMS behind the gas tank...
FWIW, this is the Roadmaster one I've been looking at. One, it will rotates down for easy on/off (as well as out of the way if you have rear access/door/slide) and there is a model with a built in hitch extension so it can be used in-line with a Toad.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Old 09-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #111

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Finally found a wheel and mounted the spare tire underside in the space provided. Close fit, but did sit in the space nicely. I used a 2x6 mounted to the channel frame with 1/4" lag screws. The front area of the tire to rest on the 2x6. The rear area rest on the tow hitch member. The tire is clamped down with perforated hanger strapping and 1/4" machine scr's, washers, nuts. No drilling was required for the mounting. The only draw back from my point of view is that the tire and wheel are quite heavy. Maybe weighing in around 60-70 lbs. and an old dude like me had a time leveraging it into place.

The total cost of tire, wheel and mounting came to around $200. It may not be worth the time and money for some who don't travel in remote areas. For me, it is more of a convenience and independence than anything. I would not want to wait for hours in a remote area for a tire repair. I have a tow and emerg. road service thru CoachNet, but they only pay for changing a tire, not mounting a tire. A neighbor of mine had to call a tire repair out to his coach and the charge was over $100 for mounting the tire. Maybe some folks on the forum have had a tire changed and can jump in with some info tire mounting.

Below is where I bought the wheel. I don't have any connection to the company other than being a customer. It was the best price I could find. The dually rims are not as easy to find around my neck of the woods as I thought they would be.

steel-16x6-wheel-rim-3872

Below is a pic of the installation.

Attachment 327
Using the same method I did mine today. I used all of my MMA grappling skills to get the tire into position. It fit. A tight fit indeed. Thanks for the idea.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:08 AM   #112

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Here is where I mounted a 22.5 wheel and tire on the front of our motor home. I built the brush guard for protection and it worked well to hold the wheel/tire. Getting the tire up on the mount was a bit of a grunt, but leaning the wheel/tire against the front of my legs/thighs, I was able to raise it to the necessary height, using my legs and arms. I welded a step for the bottom of the tire, so I didn't have to hold it up while I attached it to the rack. After all that work, I never had to change a tire while on the road, but I did replace a worn front tire with the spare.

[/url]
Old 09-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #113

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016vegas View Post
Using the same method I did mine today. I used all of my MMA grappling skills to get the tire into position. It fit. A tight fit indeed. Thanks for the idea.
Update. I modified my underside spare tire mount to move tire farther forward to protect the hitch elect connector. Added 24in 2 in sq tube to the 2x6 board. Tube is inserted about 3 inches into backside of hitch receiver. I feel better about it.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #114

State: Florida
THOR #4847
Vegas 25.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Fair questions. Vegas is on a E350 chassis. There was a thread a few months ago with opinions about what if Thor built a Vegas on the E 450

To me, that bumper doesn't look sturdy enough to hold a spare tire. On the 25.2, a spare there would block access to the rear storage.
My vegas 25.2 2016 model is on E450 chassis
Old 06-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #115
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by williebill View Post
My vegas 25.2 2016 model is on E450 chassis
Note that when Mr Sunshine posted that all Axis/Vegas units were E350's, now almost all are E450's (You can occasionally find the odd 24.1 that is still on an E-350--Thor is showing all 2018's as E450).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #116

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
My 2017 Vegas 25.2 is on an E350 chassis.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #117

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Great thread on mounting a Spare on an Vegas/Axis
I’m ready to proceed

Will source the rim from Etrailer or Amazon (both have it)
Will source the tire (used) from EBay
(Or check craigslist for both)

Then will mount on underside behind gas tank
Or
I can cram into driverside rear storage above the generator for the time being (although it limits items already in storage)

I’ve got HWH levelers so that will be my jack
All I need is a good breaker bar/socket wrench and I’m golden

More to come...
Old 06-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #118

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Great thread on mounting a Spare on an Vegas/Axis
I’m ready to proceed

Will source the rim from Etrailer or Amazon (both have it)
Will source the tire (used) from EBay
(Or check craigslist for both)

Then will mount on underside behind gas tank
Or
I can cram into driverside rear storage above the generator for the time being (although it limits items already in storage)

I’ve got HWH levelers so that will be my jack
All I need is a good breaker bar/socket wrench and I’m golden

More to come...

As a safety measure be sure and use some jack stands after you lift the unit with your hydraulic levelers.

After I bought the rim I just went to Walmart and bought an inexpensive tire from them.

Currently I do keep it in my storage compartment above the Generator. Cant seen to get back to trying again on the underside mount. I don't really need the space so i guess it hasn't been a push to get back to it.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #119

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Currently I do keep it in my storage compartment above the Generator. Cant seen to get back to trying again on the underside mount. I don't really need the space so i guess it hasn't been a push to get back to it.
I’ve analyzed the “under-coach” mounting position between the gas tank and the trailer hitch.
It looks very do-able based on measurements, plenty of room.
I’ll probably incorporate a couple of pieces of 2” channel iron, side to side, using existing holes already in the frame (look underside to see the location on your rig).

The only thing that needs to be moved (6-8” to the passenger side) is the hitch/trailer electrical connection, as the wiring loom is in the way & will be damaged
Old 03-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #120
Jer

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #18420
Thor Vegas on e350. The problem w bumper mount is rear door stowage blocking of.