Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 12:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Speakers for TV in ACE 30.1

We have a Jensen television mounted on the door above our kitchen counter. While it works just fine, the sound stinks because the speakers are located at the bottom of the TV. The only way to get decent sound (read: volume) is to open the door slightly so that the speakers are more exposed.

There's no earphone jack, so adding an external speaker that way is out. We've spoken with a good audio shop, and trying to run wires from the TV to the stereo in the dash would be difficult and pretty expensive.

What other options do we have, short of buying another television?

Old 05-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #2

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
While there is no earphone jack I gotta believe there is going to be a audio out jack and a S/PDIF output on the back of the TV. Connecting up a soundbar should be an easy solution.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
We have a Jensen television mounted on the door above our kitchen counter. While it works just fine, the sound stinks because the speakers are located at the bottom of the TV. The only way to get decent sound (read: volume) is to open the door slightly so that the speakers are more exposed.

There's no earphone jack, so adding an external speaker that way is out. We've spoken with a good audio shop, and trying to run wires from the TV to the stereo in the dash would be difficult and pretty expensive.

If there are RCA Jacks on the back of the tv...which are still customary on some units..you should be able to hookup speakers ...
if your TV is smart, you might be able to hookup via wifi...or...we recently bought a soundbar w/subwoofer for our house tv...the subwoofer is via wifi .. the soundbar is via a very small wire to the 'optical' hookup...the soundbar is, also, powered so an elec. outlet is necessary.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #4

State: Connecticut
THOR #3882
Here is what I did. Bose sound bar that is also bluetooth. And for when we are on the road bluetooth head phone. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_112403.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1987   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_132728.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1988  

Old 05-14-2016, 11:52 PM   #5

THOR #3882
Here is a video of what it sounds like. I hope it comes though. Sound bar turn up to max volume. I control the volume with tv remote. I think it was 25 on the tv. Which was way to loud to watch normally. Enjoy.
Attached Files
Old 05-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I bought an FM transmitter(cheap) and play the TV sound through the dash radio which goes all over the motorhome. No wires to run.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #7

THOR #3882
Yep I did the same thing. Only problem is they like to watch t.v. or movies. I listen to music. So i covered all avenues. Sound bar, bluetooth headphones and fm transmitter for dash. Be safe.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I picked up a bluetooth transmitter to go from the TV to the dash for our Axis.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:47 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
All,

Reading these posts got me to thinking about some old Dell Computer Monitors I had stored, and they each have a soundbar attached to the bottom.

I removed one and it plugs into the AUX of the TV over the door and powers off the plug next to the door.

See Pictures.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1463363175

The little box in front of the Sound bar is an old Luxa "Groovy T Magic Boom Box Speaker". You can plug it in the AUX plug and it runs off an internal battery or you can hookup USB Charging. It will also allow you to lay your phone or other small music storage device on top of it and it will amplify the sound...MAGIC!

The install set back about 3/4" from the front of the screen and does not extend past the door frame.

Doc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dell SoundBar.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Install1.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1994  

Name:	install2.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1995  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Iowa
THOR #6045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post

just tape a small piece of paper to deflect the speaker sound forward under each speaker.. if you want to test it just cup your hand under there, or cup your hand around the end of your phones speaker, it throws the sound out into the room a whole lot better..... easy fix with some duct tape on the back and a piece of black paper
Old 12-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I installed a Vizio sound bar and it worked great! Cheaper than Bose - not near the Bose quality but works fine.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote