Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #8636
Sprinter Citation Suspension

Hello,
I'm looking for Sprinter Citation style owners who have made suspension upgrades. I guess I should start out asking, do you feel like your unit is a little tippy going around corners or in and out of driveways etc?

I've added the Heilwig sway bar and Sumo Springs without much improvement.

After making a few calls to different suspension experts it sounds like a better change would have been to add a "Dual Action" Shock. I see that Koni makes a true RV shock for the Sprinter 3500.

Suggestions? Added leaf springs? Rear Shocks? Front & Rear Shocks?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:40 AM   #2

Model: Citation 24SR
State: Kansas
THOR #9869
I own a 2013 Citation and haven’t done any modes. I am interested in this thread, so I hope you don’t mind that I stalk the replies...
Old 12-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #3

THOR #8636
Hello TheBenzLife,

Do you feel like your RV is a little tippy especially going in and out of bumpy driveways and business parking lots?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2017, 12:04 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We have the Gemini on the Sprinter chassis. There are times it feels like there is a little more side to side motion than I would like, but its pretty stable on the highway. I may look into the Koni shocks which have been well reviewed. I thought about Sumo Springs, but so far have done nothing to the suspension. Having just spent a ton of $$'s for things like a second AC and an auto hydraulic leveling system, I'm not ready to spend more just yet.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #5

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
We have the Gemini on the Sprinter chassis. There are times it feels like there is a little more side to side motion than I would like, but its pretty stable on the highway. I may look into the Koni shocks which have been well reviewed. I thought about Sumo Springs, but so far have done nothing to the suspension. Having just spent a ton of $$'s for things like a second AC and an auto hydraulic leveling system, I'm not ready to spend more just yet.

Shocks won’t help on side to side. Get Sumo Springs they make a night and day difference. They are cheap and easy to install yourself
Old 12-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Sprinter Suspension

Catalog | Redlands RV and Truck Performance Center

Just for the heck of it, look at page 11 of this catalog from Redlands Truck and RV.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Shocks won’t help on side to side. Get Sumo Springs they make a night and day difference. They are cheap and easy to install yourself
Agree normal shocks won't help with leaning on turns after initial transient response.

Regarding adding Sumo Springs, the OP says he already installed them, along with heavier sway bars, "without much improvement".

My suggestion would be to accept that all tall vehicles try to lean on curves because they have a center of gravity that can be as much as 3 or 4 times higher than that of cars, so they aren't going to drive/feel the same. Unless the leaning is causing other problems (like affecting steering or stability), there isn't that much to worry about.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
Not to argue with the shocks comments, but the combination of the Hellwig and install of rear Fox shocks on our Thor Siesta made a huge improvement in stability. Wind stability and cornering improved noticeably with the install of both that was not evident with just the Hellwig.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #9

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Agree normal shocks won't help with leaning on turns after initial transient response.

Regarding adding Sumo Springs, the OP says he already installed them, along with heavier sway bars, "without much improvement".

My suggestion would be to accept that all tall vehicles try to lean on curves because they have a center of gravity that can be as much as 3 or 4 times higher than that of cars, so they aren't going to drive/feel the same. Unless the leaning is causing other problems (like affecting steering or stability), there isn't that much to worry about.

They worked great on mine, so I really don’t care what he is saying.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
Not to argue with the shocks comments, but the combination of the Hellwig and install of rear Fox shocks on our Thor Siesta made a huge improvement in stability. Wind stability and cornering improved noticeably with the install of both that was not evident with just the Hellwig.

True if his stock shocks aren’t heavy duty or just weren’t made for the load. It wouldn’t hurt to try it out.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #11

THOR #8636
Update.....

I installed Koni FSD Shocks to the rear. They made a huge difference in handling on the road at speed. The RV has gone from needing 100% two handed driving attention to a more normal just rolling down the road experience. Big trucks will still get my attention as they pass and the low speed sway in and out of driveways is still a bit much.
Wish I had done the shocks first! The were larger, but I think the fact that they are dual action makes the difference.

Next question. should I put Koni FSD's on the front. With parts, istallation and alingment we are talkiing $1,000. Worth it? Any feedback from those who have comleted these upgrades would be much appreciated.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #12

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnieHouTx View Post
Update.....

I installed Koni FSD Shocks to the rear. They made a huge difference in handling on the road at speed. The RV has gone from needing 100% two handed driving attention to a more normal just rolling down the road experience. Big trucks will still get my attention as they pass and the low speed sway in and out of driveways is still a bit much.
Wish I had done the shocks first! The were larger, but I think the fact that they are dual action makes the difference.

Next question. should I put Koni FSD's on the front. With parts, istallation and alingment we are talkiing $1,000. Worth it? Any feedback from those who have comleted these upgrades would be much appreciated.

SumoSprings will greatly reduce that sway
Old 12-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #13

THOR #8636
Already have Sumo Springs on the rear