Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Loose fender trim

I was washing the MH (2014 Hurricane) today and notice the fender trim around one of the front wheel wells is loose. Apparently secured with only 3 self tapping screws (Thor lives these screws) and a bead of sealant around the rim. Of course the sealant let go and now the trim can be pulled away from the body. Checked the other wheel wells and all are the same. It looks like it will be difficult to remove the old sealant to make repairs. Has anyone tackled this job? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180608_152216.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	10645

Old 06-10-2018, 02:58 AM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yeah, mine was partially ripped off when my tire blew. Installed pretty much the same as I recall. I can't remember all the details at the moment. I bought a replacement from Thor through the dealer. I do remember that the replacement didn't line up perfectly and easily.....had to do some clamping get a bit creative. I used some spray foam, the low expansion type made for doors behind the trim in the hollow, with the clamps and some tape to hold it in place while it cured. Had to stay on top of the leaks coming out through the front side.

That existing sealant looks like silicone but it might be something else they use. Regardless it cleans off with some work. I had my trim completely removed to do the clean-up and prep. That would make clean up easier I think that trying to do it with the trim partially installed like you picture shows. Don't remember exactly, but I probably used a combination of mineral spirits, a plastic scraper, maybe a scotchbrite pad.

With silicone type caulks, I've learned that mineral spirits sort of swell the stuff a bit and then some of it can be mechanically removed...several iterations though to get all the residue so that something else will stick to the surface. spirits followed by scrubbing and scraping, followed by more spirits, more scraping, etc.... That's why I hate silicone....it doesn't stick well enough to most things but yet some of it really holds tight....hard to get all the residue off, but if you don't nothing will stick, not even more silicone. Polyurethane sealants, which I think this stuff might be, is a little bit easier in my very limited experience.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #3

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
yeah, mine was partially ripped off when my tire blew. Installed pretty much the same as I recall. I can't remember all the details at the moment. I bought a replacement from Thor through the dealer. I do remember that the replacement didn't line up perfectly and easily.....had to do some clamping get a bit creative. I used some spray foam, the low expansion type made for doors behind the trim in the hollow, with the clamps and some tape to hold it in place while it cured. Had to stay on top of the leaks coming out through the front side.

That existing sealant looks like silicone but it might be something else they use. Regardless it cleans off with some work. I had my trim completely removed to do the clean-up and prep. That would make clean up easier I think that trying to do it with the trim partially installed like you picture shows. Don't remember exactly, but I probably used a combination of mineral spirits, a plastic scraper, maybe a scotchbrite pad.

With silicone type caulks, I've learned that mineral spirits sort of swell the stuff a bit and then some of it can be mechanically removed...several iterations though to get all the residue so that something else will stick to the surface. spirits followed by scrubbing and scraping, followed by more spirits, more scraping, etc.... That's why I hate silicone....it doesn't stick well enough to most things but yet some of it really holds tight....hard to get all the residue off, but if you don't nothing will stick, not even more silicone. Polyurethane sealants, which I think this stuff might be, is a little bit easier in my very limited experience.
Thanks for the info on removing the sealant. I didn't think it would be easy. I'll have to plan a day to remove all the trim and re-do them.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Can you get some more of those self-tapping screws into it?
(I'm a big fan of anything I can put a screwdriver to! )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #5

State: West Virginia
THOR #2027
Thanks for the info. My 2016 Ace did the same thing.
Please update after you have fixed yours.
Neil
Old 06-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #4312
I’ve used this product to remove pinstripes/adhesive from cars and it’s safe on paint
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...612/10070229-P

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #7

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
I’ve used this product to remove pinstripes/adhesive from cars and it’s safe on paint
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...612/10070229-P
Thanks, that sounds like a possible solution. I would tap extra screws but that would leave the sealant residue. Also, the screws would have to be placed perfectly to hit the narrow metal backing.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Thanks, that sounds like a possible solution. I would tap extra screws but that would leave the sealant residue. Also, the screws would have to be placed perfectly to hit the narrow metal backing.

I cancelled my warranty less than a year after my purchase because I read and experienced the crappy work and how long they want to keep the coach for minor repairs. I fix everything myself better than them in most cases

Be a blessing to someone
Old 06-12-2018, 02:00 AM   #9

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
I cancelled my warranty less than a year after my purchase because I read and experienced the crappy work and how long they want to keep the coach for minor repairs. I fix everything myself better than them in most cases
Yea, I do most of the minor repairs myself also. I have insurance for the major stuff though.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:22 AM   #10

THOR #4312
The insurance helps you sleep at night. Hahaha. This is my 4th motorhome and I’ve been real lucky with all of them Thank God
Lance

Be a blessing to someone
Old 06-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #11

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Yea, I do most of the minor repairs myself also. I have insurance for the major stuff though.
Update: So today I tackled one fender well. Here are the tools I used.

I removed the fender trim (3 screws on mine) . I applied the lift off with a rag to the old sealant on the MH side. 3 min. later I carefully scraped most of it off using a razor blade. You can use a plastic scraper too. I removed the remainder with a rag and turps. I only used the turps on the fender flair itself. Elbow grease and patients is necessary here.

I washed all surfaces. I applied a generous bead of the silicone (Home Depot) to the inside rim making sure enough silicon was applied so that it would contact the MH. Then I reattached the fender flair with the original 3 screws and wiped off any extra sealant. I pressed against the flair to insure good contact. I finished up with paste waxing around the area to restore any wax that may have been removed.

Total time 1 hour. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180618_133046.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	10857Click image for larger version

Name:	20180618_132625.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	10858Click image for larger version

Name:	20180618_132714.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	43.3 KB