Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2019, 11:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Getting ready to add House Batteries to our VEGAS

I have finally gotten to the point of figuring out how I can add two (2) 12V batteries to my existing 2 12V 92AH AGMs I just installed.

I am planning to add a "battery rack" to the under kitchen window storage compartment of our 2016 VEGAS 25.2. The compartment is 11" high X 28" long and 18" deep. I am planning on using a garage ceiling storage bracket and cutting the height down to 9" and making the length 20". That 'should" give me a little room left in the compartment (for something)

I am planning to drill through the top of the plastic compartment liner and bolt through the RV floor and bolt under the kitchen cabinet to hold the rack.

Since the RV House Batteries are just to the right of this compartment, it should be easy to run jumper cables to connect the additional batteries to the existing ones. This should also be fairly easy to run cables from any roof solar panels in the future chasing them down the refrigerator vent chase.

I know this is a fairly long post, but thought I would see if anyone could see any future disasters that I hadn't thought of.

The one question I do have is the AGM 12V batteries in under the entry steps are 92AH group27 (because of the size), would it be a mistake to use 105AH group31 AGMs in this new rack, or should I exactly match the existing ones (The 92AH are less than two months old so replacing them is not really in the plan)

We are planning on doing quite a bit of boondocking this summer and feel better having four batteries instead of just two.

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this and for any replies.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Thats sounds like a great plan.

I would personally feel better if all the of batteries match exactly. But I see where you coming from.... More amp hours the better.

But what if they slightly charge and discharge differently? Perhaps over time you will have issues? I dont know but something to think about.

Post lots of pics of this mod.... Im very interested.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

Model: Outlaw38RB
State: Colorado
THOR #14374
Pictures please!

I'd love to see pic's of the battery rack and cable runs once you're done. I'll be doing something like this in the future as well.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Thats sounds like a great plan.

I would personally feel better if all the of batteries match exactly. But I see where you coming from.... More amp hours the better.

But what if they slightly charge and discharge differently? Perhaps over time you will have issues? I dont know but something to think about.

Post lots of pics of this mod.... Im very interested.
You are reading my mind on the "charge/discharge" rate ..I will probably stay with the same batteries "just to be safe"..

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #6934
I had thought of this as well. But I also looked and although I haven't measured it all out, it appears that with a little modification I might be able to turn the two batteries 90 degrees and add a third.
Then if you need a forth you are leaving more room in the compartment, and have a little less concentrated weight in that plastic box.