Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2019, 01:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #13952
Steering Stabilizer on a Class C, 27’ Recommended? What has been your experience?

Hello everyone. I’m a newbie.

I’m looking to buy my first RV, a 2011 Four Winds 25C this week.

After all my research, it sounds as if one of the best modifications you can make is a steering stabilizer.

My question: On a 27’ class C, does a steering stabilizer make that much of a difference?

I’ve studied the excellent “Safe-T-Plus Vs. Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer” post, so understand the difference between the two. I’d just like to hear from others what their experience has been, and if on a small/medium class C if it’s a worthwhile investment.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 AM   #2

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
The first thing is to drive it awhile and see if you need better steering or better stability or both or neither. If it's 8 years old it may already have added stabilization. Good luck and happy camping
Old 02-26-2019, 03:50 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
THOR #12270
On my first trip, the steering was horrible on my 2 month old coach. Steering went from 10 to 2 o'clock without moving the rig. 2nd trip 4 months after first, I put the tires to the PSI's on the door frame and it made a world of difference. now it was maybe 11:30 to 12:30. the front tires had ~50 psi in them and the rear dulies had ~60 = both front and back were ~20 psi low. honestly looking back, I can't believe i put just shy of 1000 miles on underinflated tires.

TL;DR... sometimes the small things matter a lot more than the expensive things.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
I had Safe-T-Plus installed at their factory in Georgia. Unbelievable improvement. That and adjusting my tire pressures for weight was the solution for me.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #5

THOR #13952
Thanks for the comments so far – most of my research turned up Class A’s getting these steering stabilizers installed, and their owner feedback. It would be interesting to know if the same results were had by Class C owners. Perhaps because the Class C profile is smaller there is less cross-wind/18 wheeler rig turbulence?

(different, but related question: how often should you get your front end wheels aligned?)
Old 02-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I put the Roadmaster reflex on e450 chassis Vegas. Same as many class C units.

The change I (we) noticed is an improvement in tracking. With the OEM damper the unit would need a frequent correction going down road for quite a few miles. After installation, correction required was a lot less. I installed primarily to help in event of front tire blowout.

When removed, the OEM damper had a lot of slop which may have caused change.

The Roadmaster was easy to change and center by me. I came down street with unit wheels straight. Pulled nose over edge of swale and changed with nose over swale. Took 30 minutes.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I put the SafeTPlus on my 2017 26ft Class C. I did not have any particular complaints with it’s driveability beforehand but felt that it could be beneficial in a blowout or wheel dropping off the edge of the road emergency. I did the installation myself and it was easy enough. I liked how it handled after the installation just fine too and I did not have any problems driving in New Mexico with wind gust advisories. When I bought my Class A I installed the Roadmaster mostly because it was cheaper. I believe there is no functional difference between them. Interestingly both my RV dealer and my trusted truck service/alignment center recommended against installing even though both said they’d be happy to install for me. I find it credible when a business turns away their own sales. But I did it mostly on the strength of the positive reports on this forum. I’d do it again.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have the Safety Plus on my Axis (E450) and love it.

But I think either one (Saftey Plus or Roadmaster) you will be fine with. Lots of members have both and they all seem to love them equally.

I think the lighter C classes (including Axis/Vegas) get blown around more since they are so light and perhaps the frame/steering config is different compared to the F53 and larger DP??

Plus they are not that much shorter in overall height compared to the A class.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Bilstein Steering Damper

Several on this site and other RV forums have installed this on their E350/450 chassis...

Bilstein Steering Damper

It's an economical & direct replacement for the Ford OEM steering damper.
And, it provides noticeable & increased stability vs the Ford stock product (which looks and feels undersized for most heavy RV's).

Bilstein ($100 + DIY plug&play install) receives good ratings and will save you $$$ over the Saf-T-Plus product ($450 + a more precise, time-consuming, and skilled install process).

That said, most Class A's opt for the Saf-T-Plus or Roadmaster.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #10

THOR #13952
Many thanks for all of your comments. Very much appreciated
Unfortunately, the perfect rig I was just about to put a down payment on, after closer inspection had some water issues so I had to walk away. Looks as if previous owner’s solar job wasn’t sealed completely.

Still looking for a 2009-2012 Four Winds 25C...., if anyone hears of one becoming available, please let me know. Thanks again for all your insight