Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2016, 01:35 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35C
State: Florida
THOR #4478
Steering Stabilizers

I just took delivery of a 2016 Windsport C and so far it seems to handle pretty well but I have been looking at steering stabilizers mainly in case of front tire blowout. The problem being all the instructional videos showing how to install really don't fit my coach. I don't know if they picked a motorhome with a simple installation for a much clearer video. First of all just getting under the front is a tight fit without lifting it up and in looking the steering geometry doesn't come close to any video. It appears to have a slight drop front axle and the steering linkage is near the lower part of the radiator.

So my question is, has anyone installed a Road Master stabilizer on the same or similar coach as mine? It has a Ford F53 chassis, V-10, 242 inch wheel base, 19.5 inch rims, GVWR of 22,000 pounds and GCWR of 26,000 pounds.

Any input is appreciated.

Walt Graham

Old 06-15-2016, 01:48 AM   #2

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
steering stabilizers

I had a Safe-T-Plus installed on my Vegas. I am a pretty good mechanic, and the installation is pretty simple and straightforward, but, because of the adjustments needed after installation, I decided to let a front-end mechanic do the install. The Vegas is on a E-350 chassis, and very low to the ground. I can change the oil by driving up on ramps, but the stabilizer install and adjustment process was too difficult lying on my back. The F-53 chassis is high enough, and the install should be much easier. Go to Safety-T-Plus on youtube, and the install on that chassis is depicted. There are 3 different stabilizer sizes sold, for different chassis.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
I had a Safe-T-Plus installed on my Vegas. I am a pretty good mechanic, and the installation is pretty simple and straightforward, but, because of the adjustments needed after installation, I decided to let a front-end mechanic do the install. The Vegas is on a E-350 chassis, and very low to the ground. I can change the oil by driving up on ramps, but the stabilizer install and adjustment process was too difficult lying on my back. The F-53 chassis is high enough, and the install should be much easier. Go to Safety-T-Plus on youtube, and the install on that chassis is depicted. There are 3 different stabilizer sizes sold, for different chassis.
How long should it take to install on a 2016 ACE 29.3? My dealer said two or three hours and at $125 per hour I think not. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #4

Model: VEGAS
State: California
THOR #3113
I got luck and the ford factory installs them as an option. It is worth every penny that I did not pay. The dealer did not know.

You will need to have some real heavy duty equipment.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #5

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
Safe-T-Plus installation

Montgomery, the installation should not take more than an hour. The adjustments can take a little more time, because road testing is required to make sure the coach tracks straight and does not pull left or right. Any mechanic with a heavy duty lift, or even just ramps to get under the coach can do the install. It is best to have the front end aligned anyway, before the install. It may be an expense, but a high speed rollover from a front tire blowout would be significantly more costly. I really enjoy driving my Vegas now since the installation of the stabilizer. It does not wander as much on the highway, the passing semis don't affect me as much, and the wheel self-centers nicely after turns. All in all, it is the cheapest safety and driving comfort addition you can make to a motorhome.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:15 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3552
I installed a Safe-T-Plus on my Axis. It took me probably 2 hours for the initial install, then another 1/2 hour for the adjustment. I only had to adjust once. I used a laser pointer to get the wheels straight for the initial install. Still slightly off (probably because my slanted driveway). Should take a shop half the time.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Safe T Plus for Axis 24.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I installed a Safe-T-Plus on my Axis. It took me probably 2 hours for the initial install, then another 1/2 hour for the adjustment. I only had to adjust once. I used a laser pointer to get the wheels straight for the initial install. Still slightly off (probably because my slanted driveway). Should take a shop half the time.
Cosmo...Ron has decided to install the Safe T Plus..having returned from GREAT Southwest...with that constant south wind pushing at the big box while crossing the Kansas plains...

We went to the Safe T Plus website, then reconfirmed from them directly...
model #31-140 plus the install kit.
Is this what you installed ?

In addition...Ron is thinking of improving the Ford factory installed sway bar in the rear..have you or anyone else considered this ?

Thanks

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3552
Quote:
We went to the Safe T Plus website, then reconfirmed from them directly...
model #31-140 plus the install kit.
Is this what you installed ?
Yep, looked up my receipt. The bracket kit is E-353K14

Have not installed a sway bar yet - not sure I need it.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Yep, looked up my receipt. The bracket kit is E-353K14

Have not installed a sway bar yet - not sure I need it.
Thank you !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote