Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #758
ACE Steering Problems

We purchase a 2014 ACE 30.1. Loved the salesman and dealership until we were blown off the road by passing 18 wheeler's. The steering has no center. It either steers left or right but not straight ahead. We had to get off the interstate and drive less than 50 mph in order to control it. Camping World is working on it but without driving it. Do you have any fix for the steering?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Larry, do a search on here. Seem like there was some discussion on that subject awhile back.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I found the thread I mentioned in previous post. I hope it helps you out.
Here is the link to it.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...0-1-a-160.html
Old 04-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Florida
THOR #698
Get it weighed. I had a class c chateau and found the front end had too much pressure for the weight. I lowered the front psi by 5 lbs and it drove well. This conversation can go for ever but it may be the easiest way to gain control. Unless you get every tire individually weighed, the tire companies will not offer any advice.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Arizona
THOR #260
As said above, get it weighed and inflate tires for weight. If that doesn't help, google "Cheap Handling Fix" will take you to threads that explain one of the things you can do to help with the 18 wheelers passing.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #6

State: Ontario
THOR #971
Handling fix every ace owner has the same complaint the issue is with the chassis. You will find many posts in regards to the cheap fix on the front end it works and you can do it yourself if you are handy . You will notice the difference right away as it take the roll out of the front when you turn the corner. In regard to the back end the away bar is only 3/4 of an inch and you should add a away bar kit from road master there are two types depending on the rear axle. The new sway bar complements the OEM beading it up to just over 2 inches. It is costly about 900.00 plus the install but I will tell you your white knuckling trips will be over. I can drive 1handed down the road and when an 18 wheeler goes by there is hardly a push. Enjoy
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Had the same issues with my 2014 Thor ACE 29.2. Took it to a Goodyear dealer and had the alignment checked. Toe was bad. After the alignment the handling was significantly better. Thor is reimbursing me for the cost. I also had a Bilstein stabilizer installed. My wife can now drive our coach.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #8

THOR #971
I was looking at a stabilizer as we'll all 3 fixes would be amazing as I say the away bars take the roll out do the frame so when the wind blows it will not rock which is a big part so the oversteering issue. Also the toe will change once you load the coach up based on the additional weight . We have a 30.1 and it is a de to drive
Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
My new Hurricane 27k appears to have a serious alignment issue which will be fixed in a couple days, the inside L. front tire is scuffed badly, only have 3200 miles on it, basically the drive from the dealer back home ( and the delivery from IN to the dealer in TX). The coach handled awful on the drive. I am sure the alignment is bad on yours so look for a wheel alignment shop that does bigger rigs. My local one quoted $150 plus shims/labor if needed. I am certain it is a toe problem, I used to do these alignments on trucks and such in my younger days..
Old 10-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #10

THOR #970
update, my rig was off by 5/8 In so now that is fixed it handles much better, still a truck though...
Old 10-03-2014, 02:24 AM   #11

THOR #971
Pelted if you are on the f53 platform you should look into the swaybar fix for the rear and the adjustment on the front you will be able to drive down the road and drink a coffee. My dealer did not know about the swaybar fix and was totally amazed on the handling of the f53
Old 10-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #12

THOR #970
I know about the fix, is there a part # for OE extended links? The front sway bar will be at 45 degree if I use the existing ones. I know some have bought aftermarket but they need mod, ie, bushings are different. I wonder if Ford has a stock one that is an in longer or so.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #13

THOR #971
You can get the sway bars from road master ford does not have them
Old 10-04-2014, 12:26 AM   #14

THOR #970
the fix is to put the links to the inner holes on the existing sway bar. I am looking for OE links that are longer then the ones on the coach now, though everyone else has no issues with using the existing ones. No reason to buy a new sway bar.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:54 AM   #15

THOR #971
The away bar is for the rear not the front doimg the front will eleminate the from roll when you turn. If you want to remove the push from the wind and large trucks you have to beef up the rear sway bar. The original way bar is 3/4 of an inch you leave the OEM one on and add the additional bar which is i think is 1 1/2 inches the roll is totally removed
Old 10-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #16

THOR #970
ok, thanks. I have read the fix on the rear is nor very effective so have been looking for trac bar or something to do back there. I have seen rear sway bar kits also.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #17

THOR #971
Research the road master rear Sway bar the kit would depend on your rear bell housing the kit is about 800.00 plus the installation you can not do it in your driveway
Old 10-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #1214
Add me to the list. I can't drive this thing with my kids in it.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #19

THOR #971
Ashburn I know well I am good what model do you have on an f53 chassis
Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #1214
I have a brand spanking new ACE 27.1 that I am afraid to drive.