Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2015, 01:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Step lights

I noticed the three steps inside the motorhome were very dark at night so tonight I installed these two LED lights. I wired them into the amber step courtesy light so now they come on with the door opening and steps coming out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	step 2.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	289

Name:	step 3.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	290

Name:	step 1.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	291

2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:55 AM   #2

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Ohio
THOR #1535
That's a cool Ida..
Old 03-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Nice. I always like seeing people making improvements in their rigs.

Looks like it gives you plenty of light.

That is a job I need to do. I had forgotten about doing this project in my RV. Thanks for reminding me it is something I still need to do. So far though, a LED light and switch has found itself into the "future projects" parts bin.

I have noticed it would be awfully easy for someone to fall into the step well in the middle of the night as they make their way to the bathroom. So it is a safety thing I need to do.

I want the provision to turn the switch on all night, sort of as a night-light, not just when we are entering and exiting.

I don't have a retractable step, or a switch to turn the light on or off, so I am going to have to put one in.

The switch panel I bought is made by JR Products and looks identical to the 2 gang switch panel already near the well. I bought a 3 gang panel so I can extend it for the third switch.

So all I have to do is remove the 2 gang switch, transfer the porch light and awning switches to the 3 gang switch, and wire up the light adjacent to the switch (which is just above the step well). All I gotta do is find a source for the ground wire for the LED (I can tap off +12v from the porch light switch.

I can't mount my light in the step well like you did - at least not above the step, as you have to open the step to get to the batteries - and a light would prevent opening the step.

I figure I might as well have 3 switches without labels as two.

Thanks for sharing, and reminding me it is a yet-undone project.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I have been thinking about a similar mod for mine. My issue however is that the entire area is dark at night. This includes the outside and inside areas when the slide is extended, the inside lights are off and the steps are locked in the out position. On my Challenger Thor installed the outside light on the slide wall that when the slide is extended the light down not shine down on the steps. I am still trying to determine the best way to install lights so they can be beneficial in both conditions.

FW, regarding your steps at night, for my prior class C I cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to cover the steps at night. My concern was the dog falling down the steps as she wandered around the coach. Also, since my control panel was on the sidewall by the stairs and door I was concerned someone would slip as they tried turning on or off the kitchen and living area lights. Not sure how your configuration is but I cut the plywood so it was about two inches larger than the stair well opening on three sides and then drilled a one inch finger hole for removal. I was able to store the platform along the side wall when not in use and it only took a couple of seconds to put it down at night and take it up in the morning. I put some 1 x 2 on the bottom to keep the plywood from sliding out of position and some adhesive furniture pads on the area in contact with vinyl flooring for protection. The furniture pads also provided the correct height to allow for the vinyl molding where the flooring would end and the stairwell began. That platform served the purpose for a few years.

It seems this may also be a problem for the new coach so I may do something similar in the near future. I'll make that decision after the upcoming 500 mile shakedown.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I could probably fit a cover over the steps, but I also think I could turn the light on with my toe without having to lean over into the compartment.