Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Storing the stinky slinky in Axis/Vegas

The geniuses at Thor, for reasons known only to themselves, eliminated the rear bumpers that could store your dump hose. Now we get a bumper that is useless for anything other than being a bumper. No one wants to put their nasty used dump hose in a storage compartment. Other owners have posted various methods for storing the stinky slinkys, so here's mine. I got a 5" square PVC fence post with 2 slip on end caps. Cut it to 5' long, so it could be mounted on top of my useless rear bumper. 5' fits perfectly between the license tag and the rear ladder. I screwed the right side end cap on and attached the left end cap with a couple of zip ties. Will likely replace the zip ties with something better but want to see how this works. It stores both 10' sections of my stinky slinky. I know its vulnerable to possible damage if I back in to something or someone runs in to me but IMO, it would be more vulnerable to damage if it was mounted under my Axis. I have pic's but don't know how to post them. Glad to email them if anyone wants them.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
... I have pic's but don't know how to post them. Glad to email them if anyone wants them.
When posting/replying - scroll down to 'Additional Options', and then click on 'Manage Attachments'
It will open a popup window that will allow you to browse and select up to 4 files (or one video) and then click 'upload'.

The max file sizes by supported filetype are listed there as well...
3MB for most picture formats.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yup look at the 2nd post in this thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-3-go-820.html

Unfortunately my pics don't load anymore so I'll put them here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	SewerCaddyAttempt.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	7170Click image for larger version

Name:	SewerStorage1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	7171Click image for larger version

Name:	SewerStorage2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	7172Click image for larger version

Name:	SewerStorage3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	7173
Didn't want it hanging off the bumper where it would be visible.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
When posting/replying - scroll down to 'Additional Options', and then click on 'Manage Attachments'
It will open a popup window that will allow you to browse and select up to 4 files (or one video) and then click 'upload'.

The max file sizes by supported filetype are listed there as well...
3MB for most picture formats.
I uploaded 3 pic's and submitted them but nothing showed up.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
I uploaded 3 pic's and submitted them but nothing showed up.
Once you upload them you have to hit the little paperclip icon and put them in the post (hitting the paperclip will drop down a menu showing you the items you uploaded, click on one to include in your post).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466

Name:	IMG_1171.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	7178

I like it. Further improvements are pending after much comment and constructive criticism from another thread. Hint - There is a possibility of decorative duct tape somewhere.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
The geniuses at Thor, for reasons known only to themselves, eliminated the rear bumpers that could store your dump hose. Now we get a bumper that is useless for anything other than being a bumper. No one wants to put their nasty used dump hose in a storage compartment. Other owners have posted various methods for storing the stinky slinkys, so here's mine. I got a 5" square PVC fence post with 2 slip on end caps. Cut it to 5' long, so it could be mounted on top of my useless rear bumper. 5' fits perfectly between the license tag and the rear ladder. I screwed the right side end cap on and attached the left end cap with a couple of zip ties. Will likely replace the zip ties with something better but want to see how this works. It stores both 10' sections of my stinky slinky. I know its vulnerable to possible damage if I back in to something or someone runs in to me but IMO, it would be more vulnerable to damage if it was mounted under my Axis. I have pic's but don't know how to post them. Glad to email them if anyone wants them.

I did this exact same thing but after being mounted to the bumper and exposed to the sun it did not last the first summer.... The PVC fence post sleeve warped almost the whole length and I had to split it opened to get my hose out.....
Old 09-28-2017, 10:34 PM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Storage

I bought a plastic storage box at Lowe's that seals completely to keep the sewer hoses in. Not ideal because it takes up the space in the right rear storage area, but it takes care of the issue.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Happy for you guys and your creative solutions.

With my Vegas, two 10' sewer hoses have ridden nicely inside the compartment with the valves for two years. It doesn't matter if the hose is put away wet from rinsing it off, or covered in grass or sand. I can rinse the compartment out easily. It works so well, I won't be rigging up any other storage.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

With my Vegas, two 10' sewer hoses have ridden nicely inside the compartment with the valves for two years. It doesn't matter if the hose is put away wet from rinsing it off, or covered in grass or sand. I can rinse the compartment out easily. It works so well, I won't be rigging up any other storage.
I have a spare 10 footer stored in the compartment and also have a 25.2. Doesn't seem to be enough room for another but I'm going to check. Thanks.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
I too keep mine in the valve cabinet. I have a 15 footer and it fits fine. Don't see a reason to do anything else.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:26 AM   #12

THOR #4802

Name:	Stinky2.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	7185

Pic of sewer hose storage added on my Axis. It stores 2 10ft sections of stinky slinky hose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stinky3.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	7186  
Old 09-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

I do the same as Mr. Sunshine. In reality after 16 months of fairly steady use they still stay very clean. I wash out compartment every other time I empty tanks. I also make sure gray tank gets a bucket of soapy water for last flush. My unit sits in yard plugged in and is both hideaway and extra restroom. We got 4 grandkids in front of house, we live in mother in law quarters.

Question on my 24.1, we bought a place in central FL rural area. Nice mobile home that handled Irma with no more than limbs down. It has an elevated septic cleanout. Would I be able to use a maceration occasionally to empty tank there? Is there one you can connect temporarily in line? At regular house in So Fla, have no issue.

FTR - We love our Vegas, Thor and dealer did right by us.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 PM   #14

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Question on my 24.1, we bought a place in central FL rural area. Nice mobile home that handled Irma with no more than limbs down. It has an elevated septic cleanout. Would I be able to use a maceration occasionally to empty tank there? Is there one you can connect temporarily in line? At regular house in So Fla, have no issue.

You're taking us astray here, but you should have no problem emptying into that septic line clean out. RidX is great for septic tanks.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:21 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Also store mine conveniently in the valve compartment plenty of room and super clean.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote