Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Sumo Springs Front or Rear first?

I know that the subject of Sumo Springs has been discussed at length on this forum but one question I don't believe has been asked is which axle, front or rear, does it make the most sense to install Sumo Springs on first assuming that there will be a time gap between the front-rear or rear-front install? I only have time to install one axle before we leave for a several week trip and want to make sure the axle I install first will be the one with the greatest initial benefit.

2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
At this point in time we only have the front Sumo's on and I've been very happy with them. Don't really have any plans to put the rears on anytime soon.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #3

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
Need to do both,
Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It would probably be better to install them on both ends...

...But have you weighed things, to see where the loads really are?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
I know that the subject of Sumo Springs has been discussed at length on this forum but one question I don't believe has been asked is which axle, front or rear, does it make the most sense to install Sumo Springs on first assuming that there will be a time gap between the front-rear or rear-front install? I only have time to install one axle before we leave for a several week trip and want to make sure the axle I install first will be the one with the greatest initial benefit.

Doesn’t take a lot of time. 5-10 minutes on each side. If you have a jack that is.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #6

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
At this point in time we only have the front Sumo's on and I've been very happy with them. Don't really have any plans to put the rears on anytime soon.

Do it. The rears really help a lot.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #7

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I've learned that every coach handles differently. What works for somebody's coach may not work for yours. What problems are you trying to fix?? For me the rear track bar was the best modification I ever did. I just added the front sumo's but haven't had a chance to really put them to the test yet. CHF also was a big Improvement and the safe t Plus

And of course make sure you have a front end alignment and proper weight in all tires that can make a huge difference in handling also

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Since I've got a Toy-Hauler, and a pretty heavy motorcycle (over 1,100 pounds): guess which end of my rig, will get the first set?
Old 11-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
We did the front first. The rear improved the swaying a bit but the front made the most difference by far.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I wonder if there is a significant difference in weight distribution, between Class A, and Class C motorhomes?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:

I installed mine on the front first and was so happy with them I put them on the rear at a later date. I think the front ones had the greatest impact so I would install the front first IMHO.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Thanks everyone for your input. I plan to have the coach weighed and then will most likely start with the front since I already have a BlueOX TigerTrac installed on the rear.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
We did the front first. The rear improved the swaying a bit but the front made the most difference by far.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #14
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
[QUOTE=schreinertms;97645]I know that the subject of Sumo Springs has QUOTE]

Ron did the front first...and after the expected results on the front he installed the rear and has not addressed a larger sway bar on the rear. He is happy with the improvement in handling in windy conditions .

Keep in mind...those of us who are addressing your question...who have the Axis/Vegas are on the E350/E450 Chassis .. you are not on the same Chassis and the install is a bit different, expecially on the rear...according to the Sumo site.

Those with your type coach can comment on this with their knowledge of the install.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
I know that the subject of Sumo Springs has been discussed at length on this forum but one question I don't believe has been asked is which axle, front or rear, does it make the most sense to install Sumo Springs on first assuming that there will be a time gap between the front-rear or rear-front install?

.....cut......

If you can only do one, to me it makes more sense to do the front first for two reasons:

If looking to improve ride quality, you ride most of the time over the "front" wheels.

If looking to reduce lean by increasing roll stiffness, doing the "front" first is inherently safer because it would add greater amount of understeering.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #16

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If you can only do one, to me it makes more sense to do the front first for two reasons:

If looking to improve ride quality, you ride most of the time over the "front" wheels.

If looking to reduce lean by increasing roll stiffness, doing the "front" first is inherently safer because it would add greater amount of understeering.
Pretty much where I was going, too. However, I hope to be able to install both, but am pretty sure I will have to buy 1 set at a time.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Old 11-16-2017, 02:36 AM   #18

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Simply think about what a Sumo is and let your specific vehicle weights guide answers to your question.