Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE EVO 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #6059
Sumo springs installed wrong!

Just venting here
I just picked up my ACE 30.3 form a local and trusted RV repair facility today after having them install Sumo springs on the rear of my MH. The MH drove and handled fine on the 15 mile ride home, but after parking it in my driveway I noticed that the rear end was sitting a little higher than it used to? I have heard from other folks in the user group that this can happen, so I crawled underneath to have a look. Low and behold, the springs were compressed to about 4" thick while just sitting there? Then it hit me, the repair facility had installed the springs incorrectly! The springs were being crushed under the weight of the rear end of the MH. It looks like instead of measuring the required 6" from the top of the frame rail to the bottom holes on the brackets, they measured 6" to the top holes which when lowered the MH now compresses the springs continuously.
Of course I picked the MH up late on a Friday afternoon and the shop is closed weekends. I now get to stew about this issue all weekend long and we leave for a 3 week trip up North on Tuesday!
I certainly hope they springs will not be ruined by sitting all weekend under constant compression as I know they would surely been ruined if I would have left on our trip and drove 3000miles on them this way.
This should be an interesting phone call on Monday morning to the RV repair shop!
Lesson learned, I guess I need to visually check any work or modifications done by this or any shop in the future! I have been going to this facility for years with this and previous RV's and have always had good experiences.
According to the service manager they have installed Sumo springs on MH's before?
Feeling bummed in S/W Florida

Old 05-13-2017, 02:44 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Don't worry...it's an easy fix.

Should not take a whole day to fix.

They will take care of you.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE EVO 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #6059
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
Don't worry...it's an easy fix.

Should not take a whole day to fix.

They will take care of you.
Thanks rvfigs
I know it shouldn't take them long to fix the problem, it's just the hassle of driving back over there the day before we leave. It just adds to the stress of pre-travel things to do.

I did go out last night and lower the leveling jacks to take the weight off the springs for the weekend while we pack and load the MH.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenb2560 View Post
Thanks rvfigs
I know it shouldn't take them long to fix the problem, it's just the hassle of driving back over there the day before we leave. It just adds to the stress of pre-travel things to do.

I did go out last night and lower the leveling jacks to take the weight off the springs for the weekend while we pack and load the MH.
Yeah...I've been in that situation. It is annoying and stressful.

Planning trips is a big ordeal. It takes us an entire week just to pack and just to get the rig ready.

Don't let it ruin your trip. Be safe out there.