Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2018, 01:32 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
Just finished my SSR 130-54 rear SumoSprings install. It took me 1.5 hours, because I was in an RV park with a small bottle jack and a stand.Attachment 14519 This is the drivers side with weight on axle. Always do this side first, because it has a longer bolt to accommodate securing the brake line bracket.
Attachment 14520
Then do the the passenger side, which has the exhaust to work around.

The last picture shows the passenger side with weight on the axle.
Thanks for the photos. I just finished installing my rear sumo springs on my thor vegas 24.1 2018 (same as you installed SSR-130-54 | SumoSprings Rear for Ford E-350|E-450). Took me about 1.5 hrs because i had a hard time removing the 15mm bolt from the ford chassis since I didnt have a 15mm socket that was deep enough.
I was concerned that there was not a lot of thread engagement on the bolts but it looks like yours came out to be similar. I also did not use the extra spacer that came with the springs.
After adding in the rear sumo springs they made a huge difference in handling. I think doing front and rear are both worth it and make a big difference.
Also- i did double check the springs after a short ride to make sure i had them tight enough, which they were.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #22

State: Florida
THOR #10788
The rear Sumos are on sale now I believe.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #23

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Sumo Springs, Helwig Sways...or both?

I’ve now DIY installed Helwig Sway Bars on front and rear.
Now I’m considering adding the Blue or Black SUMO springs on Front ($156 on Amazon).

So, the $156 question...

If I add the front SUMO’s, will I be able to notice an improvement in the already significantly improved ride on my E450 chassis?

Will the SUMO’s help the Helwig Sway Bars eliminate sway even further? Or, is it overkill?

Anybody out there got both Helwigs & SUMO’s?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I’ve now DIY installed Helwig Sway Bars on front and rear.
Now I’m considering adding the Blue or Black SUMO springs on Front ($156 on Amazon).

So, the $156 question...

If I add the front SUMO’s, will I be able to notice an improvement in the already significantly improved ride on my E450 chassis?

Will the SUMO’s help the Helwig Sway Bars eliminate sway even further? Or, is it overkill?

Anybody out there got both Helwigs & SUMO’s?
I only have the front and rear sumo springs.
I noticed a improvement with just the front and even more of a improvement with the rear.
I was thinking about adding the sway bars but am done spending money.
It would be neat to see if people added them on seperately and what differences they noticed.
Eitherway, they front springs are incredibly easy to install, so its really just about spending the money and time on them.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
Do the Sumo Springs really make a difference on a Class C E350?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #26

THOR #10788
Sumo Springs SSF-106-40 Install

Taylorbob1, I believe you will see a different kind of improvement with the Sumos, because mechanically they do different things. With the Sumos I noticed that coach movement when walking was greatly reduced, because the Sumos mechanically resist downward movement of the coach toward the axle differently than leaf springs. The improvement of adding Sumos in addition to the Helwigs may not be as dramatic as without the Helwigs. After the first major upgrade, each additional upgrade will be incrementally better IMO.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #27

THOR #13362
Thanks for your thoughts
Old 01-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #28

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I am so interested in this mod (esp for the front) and I also have the Helwig front sway bar. But I dont want to waste money if its not a postive improvement for me.

I like the smoothness of my RV now.... But Im afraid this mod will firm up the ride too much. What do you guys think?

Has anyone installed them, desided they are too firm - then cut off like 1/2 inch off the bottom of the sumos so they only work when the body is really leaning or you hit a big bump? I guess you could do a 1/4 inch first and see how it goes.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:38 AM   #29

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Iowa
THOR #4889
I put sumos front and rear on my four winds 24f. Front sumos were blue rated at 500 pounds and rear ones black at 1500 pounds. My e350 chassis is near maxium GVW and it rides very nice. I also installed with a friends help a Hellwig rear sway bar. Nice when driving in windy conditions.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:23 AM   #30

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
These Sumo springs, is that something worthwhile for a class C motorhome?
Old 01-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #31

THOR #10788
10scDust, I would say yes! I actually traded my 31W Chateau, because I hated the way it drove. After getting my Vegas I discovered this Forum. I believe my huge 31 footer would have benefited greatly. I believe every Thor MH would benefit greatly from the Sumo upgrade.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #32

THOR #10788
The factory recommended front Sumos were blue and the rears yellow. I read on one thread that someone installed the black (stiffest) ones on the rear and said they were too much.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #33

THOR #13362
Installed blue ones on the front

Ok
You guys talked me into it...
I put the Blue Sumo’s on the front, even though I’ve got Helwig anti-sways on front and rear

It was a simple 15 minute install because i’ve got hydrolic levelers, so no Jacks and supports needed

For all new-bee DIY’ers considering Helwigs vs Sumo’s...
I now know...do the Sumos first
It’s considerably less money and a super ez install
Then after driving for a while, add the Helwigs for increased anti-sway performance
Old 01-28-2019, 11:08 PM   #34

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Ok
You guys talked me into it...
I put the Blue Sumo’s on the front, even though I’ve got Helwig anti-sways on front and rear

It was a simple 15 minute install because i’ve got hydrolic levelers, so no Jacks and supports needed

For all new-bee DIY’ers considering Helwigs vs Sumo’s...
I now know...do the Sumos first
It’s considerably less money and a super ez install
Then after driving for a while, add the Helwigs for increased anti-sway performance
Did you take it for a test drive? What do you think?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:08 AM   #35

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Did you take it for a test drive? What do you think?
just around the block
couldn't really tell much yet
although looking at them, they definitely support the frame
i'll get back to you shortly
Old 01-29-2019, 01:23 AM   #36

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Good info on the Sumo's, all. We just stopped in at a shop here in AZ, to set up an appointment for oil change and generator maintence on our '16, 25.3 Vegas. Upon discussing handling fixes, the shop suggested 'air bags' instead of Sumo's. I'm sure they probably have those readily available to them, and perhaps get them at a better discount, but they did mention air bags being 'about $100 more than Sumo's. Any thoughts on this? Pros and cons. What's best for our coach? Id rather not drive back through Oaklahoma with the steering wheel at 1/4 turn again.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:41 AM   #37

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Good info on the Sumo's, all. We just stopped in at a shop here in AZ, to set up an appointment for oil change and generator maintence on our '16, 25.3 Vegas. Upon discussing handling fixes, the shop suggested 'air bags' instead of Sumo's. I'm sure they probably have those readily available to them, and perhaps get them at a better discount, but they did mention air bags being 'about $100 more than Sumo's. Any thoughts on this? Pros and cons. What's best for our coach? Id rather not drive back through Oaklahoma with the steering wheel at 1/4 turn again.
if i was you...
i'd order front and rear Sumo's on Amazon, delivered in 2 days to your location, and either install yourself (if you are able), or have a mechanic install for you.
it's a very ez & quick install

personally, i'm not a fan of airbags
Old 01-29-2019, 03:49 AM   #38

THOR #10788
Sumos can’t leak air and don’t need a compressor. Check Amazon pricing, their prices may be very inflated!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:58 AM   #39

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
Sumos can’t leak air and don’t need a compressor. Check Amazon pricing, their prices may be very inflated!
Amazon has best price for E350/450 chassis
$134-156 fronts (ssf-106-40)
$275 rears (ssr-130-54)
No tax (if ordered from 3rd party vendor vs Prime)
Free ship
Old 01-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #40

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Sounds interesting, doable and worthwhile - Has anyone added these to a Thor Palazzo 36.1 size unit? After my recent knee surgery it may take my a while to move around and look into this, never mind get down and crawl around to do the work.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote