Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
SumoSprings

Has anyone installed Sumo Springs? My 2013 Huricane rides a bit rough and I am considering going with them but wanted to first get some feedback from someone with unbiased firsthand experience.

PMowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:19 AM   #2

State: Nevada
well, that leaves me out,... I've installed quite a few, but also have worked with Jerry the owner doing r&d for different coaches... the way to get the most out of them is first,..why??? if you are try'n to smooth out a straight axel f53 chassis.... good luck

vegasruv24.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:26 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 26 HE
State: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMowrey View Post
Has anyone installed Sumo Springs? My 2013 Huricane rides a bit rough and I am considering going with them but wanted to first get some feedback from someone with unbiased firsthand experience.

Me too. Iím pretty happy with how my 29 ft class A handles -havenít even done the CHF. But bad roads can be VERY bruising! Iíve read a lot about Sumo springs improving sway and wallow but not much on ride quality.
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:37 AM   #4
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Quote:

I put them on my 2018 Windsport and am glad I did. Found it to be a big improvement in handling.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #5

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
look for my post were they failed under load,
captmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:53 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
Quote:
If you are looking for a smoother ride on moderately rough roads Sumo Springs may not help. Although my wife believes they do help. But if you have genuine back problems as my wife does and experience major pain from the side-whip produced when entering driveways or on uneven streets and from the jarring impact of heavily loaded front springs bottoming out from pot holes, then the right sized Sumo Springs will help immensely.

By installing Sumo Springs and performing the CHF on our Hurricane 29M, we drastically reduced side-whip and improved driving control during heavy cross wind. And the Sumo Springs have drastically reduced the jarring impact of the frameís hard rubber bumper stops on rough roads and pot holes.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
Installed Sumo Springs on the front and do not notice a difference. If I had, I was going to install them on the rear also but don't see the need to spend another $400. So far I've added Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer, rear BlueOx Tiger Trak and Sumo Springs to the front and the only noticeable good change is when trucks pass the sway is reduced, otherwise, no other improvement. Granted the Safe-t-plus is supposed to help in the event of a front tire blow out and I hope I never find out if it does. I did install a TPMS so I can hopefully proactively prevent a blow out. Overall, I still feel that driving the coach can be a white knuckle experience but I have come to terms with that and get more confident as I drive. One thing I cannot change is the poor condition of the roads which seem to have a much bigger impact on a motorhome and can also make for a frustrating driving experience.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Installed Sumo Springs on the front and do not notice a difference. If I had, I was going to install them on the rear also but don't see the need to spend another $400. So far I've added Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer, rear BlueOx Tiger Trak and Sumo Springs to the front and the only noticeable good change is when trucks pass the sway is reduced, otherwise, no other improvement. Granted the Safe-t-plus is supposed to help in the event of a front tire blow out and I hope I never find out if it does. I did install a TPMS so I can hopefully proactively prevent a blow out. Overall, I still feel that driving the coach can be a white knuckle experience but I have come to terms with that and get more confident as I drive. One thing I cannot change is the poor condition of the roads which seem to have a much bigger impact on a motorhome and can also make for a frustrating driving experience.

Thanks. That is helpful. I have put steering stabilizers on every coach Iíve owned to help with emergencies. A blowout is far less likely than dropping a front wheel off the road. Happened to me with an oncoming car with an inattentive driver on a narrow road before I installed. It was briefly terrifying. Donít know if the steering stabilizer will help much but it certainly is worth a try!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Sumo springs add to the coach's spring rate making the ride rougher over small bumps and road imperfections. If your coach is lightly loaded, they will not help with the ride. That said, the make a very great difference in body roll and how the coach reacts to major breaks in the pavement. This is especially evident when the coach is heavily loaded to its max weight. When the coach's springs hit the factory bump stops, it jarring to say the least. Sumo Maxiums replace the bump stops and make the ride much more enjoyable.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Sumo springs add to the coach's spring rate making the ride rougher over small bumps and road imperfections. If your coach is lightly loaded, they will not help with the ride. That said, the make a very great difference in body roll and how the coach reacts to major breaks in the pavement. This is especially evident when the coach is heavily loaded to its max weight. When the coach's springs hit the factory bump stops, it jarring to say the least. Sumo Maxiums replace the bump stops and make the ride much more enjoyable.

That makes sense...my ride is fine on good to fair pavement but it does bottom out on the bad stuff and ďjarringĒ is kindly put! Iím probably about maxed out on GVWR. Last time I weighed I was very close. One more question: front, rear or both?

Thank you.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
I have them on both ends. I put the ones on the front myself, but as the rear tires have to be removed for a correct installation (in my opinion), I let Iron Horse RV do the rear installation. I do not regret installing them or paying someone else to do the rears. Since I have a 18,000 lb chassis, it is quite easy to get to the 12,000 lb max load on the rear axle. Conversely, I think it almost impossible to over load the 7,000 lb front axle and stay within the 18,000 lb limit. I therefore deem the rear Sumo Maxims as the most desirable.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
to get the maxim out of sumo's , they need to be tuned to your coach and weight... sumos are progressive,... and if you put them on,.. then load the coach to how you are gonna run the coach,.. the progression will most likely be off, that and there are numerous durometers and bag heigts,..if you still have them on, and could measure the height of the bags 4 wheel down, or did you just change the bumpstops,... if so, they also can be tuned...I've never installed a set that wasn't a betterment across the board...
Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
you would have got more out of just doing the rears... and the most out of doing both