Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2017, 02:34 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yes: You plug it on the other end--at the pedestal not at the camper.

The connector at the camper (the round threaded plug) is actually a marine plug that is being used in RVs more and more (prior to that the cord was "hard wired" to the coach).
Thanks! What a "duh" moment for me. Taking first trip in the Axis soon. Hopefully after this trip I will relax and start to see the big picture.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:44 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
I checked that surge protector out on Amazon. My Axis has the round plug with a threaded ring, securing it to the coach. Will that surge protector work on mine?
Yes...I make sure the campground outlet breaker is off, plug the protector into the outlet and then turn the breaker back on. If all the indicator lights check okay, then I turn the outlet off, plug my shore cable into the protector, attach the threaded end of the shore cable directly to the coach, and turn the outlet back on.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #23

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Mike,
I would get one 100%. I had a Progressive Industries optioned when I ordered my 5th wheel. I have been full timing for 18 months and it shut the coach down once. It was because of high voltage. And with newer sensitive electronics, why take a chance? It is cheep insurance plus your resale later will be better not to mention a great benefit to have.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #24

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
Hey Joe-FL.....I've been thinking of taking a trike on our travels....can you provide more info on how you tow yours, maybe some pics...Thanks!!
I don't have any good pics right now of it hooked up to our Challenger. I had an Aluma trailer for my Ultra and was so impressed that when we got the Trike I sold that model and bought the Aluma made for towing Trikes. The downside is that it is an open trailer. But the plus side is they are all aluminum, have torsion axles, self contained full aluminum ramp, and full tool storage diamond plated box. Believe it or not but on level hard surface I can move the loaded trailer around by hand. I think the trailer weighs less than 500 pounds empty.

For us having just the Trike on travels has never been an issue. My DW likes to ride and we can haul half a cart full of groceries on it when needed. Unless it is storming really bad we use it just like a car. If it is storming then the cover goes on it and we stay put.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #25
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Surge Protector

Having a surge protector is like having auto insurance you have it and hope you never need to use it.

Kev
Old 01-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #26

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I always use a surge protector & a water pressure regulator, not the little cheapo restrictor, every time hook up at a campground, it's easy to do & is cheap insurance. Water & fire in a rv are catastrophic.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #27

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Surge Protector

http://www.camco.net/product/power-d...otector-11140/

We are completely satisfied with this Camco model for $200 for our Axis. As far as your first trip is concerned with your new Axis, my thoughts are that the distance you go can be very short because the best thing you can do is take your time with setting up your camp site and then leaving. Try to know what you have to do before you go as far as hookups are concerned. You should be able to find a checklist on this forum that someone has already made, pretty sure Ed Felker has one in his document. This surge protector is extremely simple.

Plug it into the power source at your site. It checks out the circuit for about a minute and then when the light comes on, it assures you that it is safe. No need to turn anything off again before you hook up to your RV.

Another item that is a must is a water pressure regulator! Your home water system can do some damage if you don't use one. Our home pressure can sometimes be around 80 psi which is about 40 psi more than RVs should have. Have fun!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #28

State: Texas
THOR #7726
Question Surge Protection

Is there a difference in performance between Progressive Industries hard-wired & portable 50-amp surge protection?

Also, if I go with a portable unit, will I also need a 30-amp surge protector, in the event I am forced to use that as a power supply?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #29

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The two are the same and will work if you have to use 30 amp. With the hard wired you don't have to worry about it being stolen and you can mount your digital read-out inside the coach, much better in my opinion.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
We never leave home without our protector. Even when it is plugged in at home, it goes through the surge protector.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:51 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
Any opinions on this one from Camco?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Integra...EF9K9953GF0565
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:05 AM   #32

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
I have the Camco 30amp. It saved my rig on two occasions. Had it for two years.

Recently, the surge protector stopped working. I called up Camco and they said, "mail it to us and we will take care of you."

Terrific company.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:49 AM   #33

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
Works for me
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #34

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
Yes...I make sure the campground outlet breaker is off, plug the protector into the outlet and then turn the breaker back on. If all the indicator lights check okay, then I turn the outlet off, plug my shore cable into the protector, attach the threaded end of the shore cable directly to the coach, and turn the outlet back on.
Good Rules those. I have seen a cord Arc when plugged into the powerline. It doesn't happen often, but when it does...
Old 04-27-2018, 12:12 AM   #35

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
I have the Camco 30amp. It saved my rig on two occasions. Had it for two years.

Recently, the surge protector stopped working. I called up Camco and they said, "mail it to us and we will take care of you."

Terrific company.
I have the same one. Mine started "humming" so I questioned the company on their site. The answer was to keep using it because their engineer said it should be no problem. I am still a bit concerned.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #36

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Surge protectors

Stayed at a campground a truck hit a telephone pole with a Transformer on it cause a surge in Campground gentleman who works on campers for a living there told me that several campers had their electrical fried if they did not have a surge protector