Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
CHS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Self leveling system question/s

Please, Only replies that are related to Self Leveling systems (Electric or hydraulic) I now use blocks but would like to make it easier for my wife when she takes it on her own.

1. Has anyone or does anyone have the EQ Equalizer Smart-Leveling System on their Class C and if so how do you like it.

2. If you do not, what Leveling System do you have and do you like it?

https://equalizersystems.com/product...chevy-chassis/

Old 03-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Can't tell you how much I like it yet, but am having BigFoot Auto Levelers installed next month:
https://www.shop.thebigfootleveler.c...-AC-C45001.htm

Ford:
https://www.shop.thebigfootleveler.c...m-AC-E4502.htm
Old 03-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I had 5th wheels with the LCI auto levelers & would/will never own another rv without some brand of auto leveling system.
Depending on the site your DW doesn't necessarily have to get out of her seat (on a motorhome) or put blocks under the jacks, just push the button & wait for the beep, DONE!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:01 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Personally, I never use the auto feature on the levelers. Seems more like a Disney ride than a viable feature. We always manually level with the panel. The lights will tell you which side or front/back need attention as well as using a bubble level on the kitchen counter. Close is good enough. The auto feature seems to overact and raise the coach more than necessary.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Personally, I never use the auto feature on the levelers. Seems more like a Disney ride than a viable feature. We always manually level with the panel. The lights will tell you which side or front/back need attention as well as using a bubble level on the kitchen counter. Close is good enough. The auto feature seems to overact and raise the coach more than necessary.
I agree. When we first purchased our coach we used the auto feature but more than half the time we would end up with atleast one wheel off the ground. Now I just manually do with the controller pad. To be honest, its a lot faster to do it manually.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I second the Gritz. The auto level always put our rig up so high I need to use a another couple of 2x6 blocks at the entry step for my 4'11" wife to get in the MH. After the first couple times with manual feature leveling your coach becomes a breeze
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #7

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Please, Only replies that are related to Self Leveling systems (Electric or hydraulic) I now use blocks but would like to make it easier for my wife when she takes it on her own.

1. Has anyone or does anyone have the EQ Equalizer Smart-Leveling System on their Class C and if so how do you like it.

2. If you do not, what Leveling System do you have and do you like it?

https://equalizersystems.com/product...chevy-chassis/
We had equalizer on our SOB much better than the LCI on the Citation
The Equalizer lets you control individual jacks, didn't need to very often.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:25 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We had HWH leveler jacks installed on our Vegas at purchase. I wouldn't want a coach without, except maybe on a Class B. I agree with the opinion that auto isn't necessary.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:38 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I had The Equalizer Hydraulic Levelling System put on my 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS that is built on a 2017 Mercedes Benz Chassis. They system works great. My system has the blue tooth option so I downloaded the system on my cell phone and can operate outside the coach on my cell phone. It is an expensive system, but the other two for the MB chassis are about the same in price installed. I think Big Foot was cheaper in price. The auto level feature works good. I still need to buy the snap on pads for the feet which is on my list. I had the Equalizer installed at a local family run r v shop back in late 2018. I would not go again without a hydraulic levelling system.

Paul
Old 03-07-2021, 02:14 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I have the Equalizer System on my Sprintwr, and it does a really nice job of getting us within a half-degree of "center bubble": every time!
Old 03-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #11
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I noticed on the Bigfoot web site they offer a (Quad) system. Each leveler has it's own pump (total 4 pumps) instead of one for all.
Curious if anyone has this system or any knowledge of it.
Good or bad.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:09 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
More control over each individual jack; but it is more complicated...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:34 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Seems like the systems that have their own pump at each corner are less complicated overall. There are no hyd hoses to run all under the chassis, just a couple wires.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #14

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
THOR #17969
Use of leveling system for service.

For those who have a hydraulic leveling system on their MH and are still inclined to do do minor maintenance on the unit, do you use the levelers to "jack' up the unit to gain access under the chassis? I realize the need to block the tires or axle would still be required. Getting under my Compass is a PITA and my floor jack works but is still difficult due to the sides being so close to the ground to operate the jack. When I'm on the creeper access is almost impossible without lifting the unit a few inches. I plan on Bigfoot this summer once hibernation is over and wonder if this is a possibility. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
I noticed on the Bigfoot web site they offer a (Quad) system. Each leveler has it's own pump (total 4 pumps) instead of one for all.
Curious if anyone has this system or any knowledge of it.
Good or bad.
I wasn't able to find anyone with actual experience with both, or anyone with experience at all with the four pump version... Here's what I ended up coming up with:

Pros:
- No hydraulic hoses running from a central pump to the jacks. Just wires.
- Don't need to figure out where to mount the central pump.
- Lowering/raising all at once is faster. (Per BigFoot)
- Theoretically simpler repair/replacement. (One could unhook the wires, remove the whole jack assembly, and take it somewhere for repair.)

Cons:
- Jacks end up mounted a little lower to make room for the pumps and valves. (Per BigFoot)
- Have to check fluid in 4 places instead of 1.
- More individual parts to break.
- Costs more.

In my head this roughly came to a wash, so my pocket book won the day and I went with the single-pump version.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I second the Gritz. The auto level always put our rig up so high I need to use a another couple of 2x6 blocks at the entry step for my 4'11" wife to get in the MH. After the first couple times with manual feature leveling your coach becomes a breeze
A trick I learned a few years ago with my LCI levelers that made the AUTO leveling much improved...

Perform the calibration as per the manufacturers instructions, at a site that is very close to level to begin with. When you manually level the coach, do it with the very least amount of jack extension possible, so that the tires might still be touching the ground.

Doing calibration in this way gives the system a lower neutral starting point, it seems, as I use automatic leveling almost all of the time now and never end up with more than one or two tires above the earth at all.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:01 PM   #17

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Doing calibration in this way gives the system a lower neutral starting point, it seems, as I use automatic leveling almost all of the time now and never end up with more than one or two tires above the earth at all.

I don’t want any of my tires above the earth at any time. That’s why I have stopped using the LCI auto-leveling option and always manually level my coach. Much better results than auto-leveling.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:09 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
An auto level system is nice and will make your wife's single camping experience easy as pie. Don't let the auto level naysayers steer you from using the feature. A properly calibrated system is a breeze to use. I push one button and in 15 seconds later my coach is level, no step ladder required.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #19

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
A trick I learned a few years ago with my LCI levelers that made the AUTO leveling much improved...

Perform the calibration as per the manufacturers instructions, at a site that is very close to level to begin with. When you manually level the coach, do it with the very least amount of jack extension possible, so that the tires might still be touching the ground.

Did the very same thing with my 5th that always seemed raise it higher than necessary, once calibrated at the lowest possible position it worked flawlessly from then on.
I also agree, don't let those that don't have them calibrated correctly deter the DW, have her push the button & don't give it another thought til she's ready to leave. If it happens to raise a tire off the ground so be it, she'll likely never notice while inside & the system is designed to handle the weight.
My 5th wheel sat for 4 days with us in/out on nothing but the 6 leveling jacks while waiting on brake assemblies, no issues, no movement, no problem.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #20

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have used my system (The Equalizer) to raise the mh up enough to remove tires and get underneath it. I always use at least one additional lifting system for added safety(bottle jack) plus I always block the wheels to keep it from moving.

Paul