Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2022, 02:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28Z
State: California
THOR #28624
EMS Install

So I’m considering installing the Progressive hardwired EMS because this option seems like the best preventative measure I can add for my rig’s protection. However, I just came across this excerpt in my owners manual:
See picture attached.
Does this mean that I should just go with the non hardwired option? I was pretty convinced that hardwired was better due to the fact that it would kill the power draw if a problem was detected. Sounds like I just need surge protection now and the transfer switch will take care of the rest. Thoughts? Opinions?
PS: now I’m looking at the features comparisons and it looks like there is a pedestal dongle that has the same detection and protection features as the hardwired. I just want to know that in the event of catastrophic power issues my rig will kill any further power draw and save my electrical system and components.
BTW I would prefer the dongle over the hardwired if they are otherwise identical. Change my mind
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EE8584DB-313C-4F42-82C7-3FB513CD9F2B.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	40361  

1991 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Blindboyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:53 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I've been using the pedestal hanging style from Progressive and it is excellent. There customer support is also outstanding.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I use this one and it’s been great.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x
Old 12-14-2022, 06:43 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I have the Progressive 30A hard wired version. Note that there's a bypass slide switch on the remote display... if you're "feeling lucky". Also the EMS provides under-voltage protection (among other things) which could damage your A/C, microwave or other things. And there's no additional "theft deterrent measures" needed with an internal unit.

Just my opinion...
Old 12-14-2022, 10:20 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I went through the same decision making process as you are. There are pros and cons to both sides. I ended up with the Progressive 30a hardwired model mainly because it is out of sight and one less item to deal with during camp setup. One thing I didn’t consider, and this bit me last year, if your hardwired EMS fails, you have no power in your coach until you jumper around it or replace it. If your pedestal EMS fails you can just plug in without it.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:02 AM   #6

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Take a look at the Hughes Power Watchdog. They are available for either 30 or 50 amp service and have all the power protection you are looking for. Will shut down power to the motorhome on over voltage, under voltage, over current, and open neutral. Error codes displayed on the front and the face turns from white to red. Also have a Bluetooh app for your phone that lets you monitor everything from inside the coach. You can see why the power was interrupted and also monitor the voltage and current under normal conditions. I love this app and use it all the time.

Here is a link to the 50 amp version on Amazon:

https://tinyurl.com/2zzfclx2

Here is a screenshot from my phone of one in use:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210709-104532_Power Watchdog EPO.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	40362  
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:30 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 28Z
THOR #28624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I have the Progressive 30A hard wired version. Note that there's a bypass slide switch on the remote display... if you're "feeling lucky". Also the EMS provides under-voltage protection (among other things) which could damage your A/C, microwave or other things. And there's no additional "theft deterrent measures" needed with an internal unit.

Just my opinion...
Theft deterrent is very nice, and not having to set it up every time is nice. But correct if I’m wrong, but the PT30X has the same under voltage protection. In fact, they appear to be identical except that one is hardwired and one is not.
1991 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Blindboyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Used the portable PI EMS for 12 years, 10 of which fulltiming, & never locked it up, it never walked away. The main reasons I chose the portable was it would've been about an hours worth of laying on my belly stuffed in the basement of the 5th wheel to install it & we knew we would be swapping rvs a couple times & didn't want to repeat the install position to remove it or spend the $$ replacing.
A good quality EMS & a water pressure regulator, not that cheap a## restrictor the dealer may have given, should be mandatory equipment with EVERY rv & used EVERY time the rv is in use.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindboyb View Post
Theft deterrent is very nice, and not having to set it up every time is nice. But correct if I’m wrong, but the PT30X has the same under voltage protection. In fact, they appear to be identical except that one is hardwired and one is not.
You're correct.

The choice of pedestal vs. installed comes down to personal choice... performance is identical. I traded the hour it took to install for the convenience of not messing with yet another device. For me, it's too expensive of a device to leave out in plain sight to temp thieves... just a "do you feel lucky" thing... but that's JUST ME.

if the device were to fail... I'm likely moving, as the pedestal is compromised - or possibly the entire campground electric. The bypass switch on the EMS essentially "jumps around" the EMS circuitry, so just a matter of sliding a switch. Besides... I'm CERTAINLY not plugging in unprotected to an unknown electric source! Frying the EMS is one thing, but frying the entire coach? No thanks... I'll use my generator.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:29 PM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The upgraded Thor ATS is not an EMS and won’t protect against spikes or over / under voltage.

I installed the Progressive hardwired EMS and installed it after the ATS to protect from issues with bith shore and generator power. An ATS is cheaper and easier to replace than any of the AC appliances in the coach.

Then I purchased a lightly used Progressive portable EMS at a great price to use on the pedestal just to protect the ATS.

I have the best of both worlds.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:32 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #11108
I also installed the Progressive as a hard wired unit. It has a bypass if it were to fail but takes a screwdriver to change over. The major issue seems to find the appropriate place to install a hardwired unit. In the case of my Vegas I cut a small window in the bedroom wall and installed it right beside the power distribution unit behind the wall. Connected it just before it goes into the distribution panel

Pluses of the hardwired unit are, less chance of theft, no install on hookup and easy to see the read out from inside. But for me the biggest plus was it protects and provides a constant read out of the generator output. An issue with the generator voltage regulator or frequency control can cause problems which a external unit cannot see.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:34 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travbob View Post
I also installed the Progressive as a hard wired unit. It has a bypass if it were to fail but takes a screwdriver to change over. The major issue seems to find the appropriate place to install a hardwired unit. In the case of my Vegas I cut a small window in the bedroom wall and installed it right beside the power distribution unit behind the wall. Connected it just before it goes into the distribution panel

Pluses of the hardwired unit are, less chance of theft, no install on hookup and easy to see the read out from inside. But for me the biggest plus was it protects and provides a constant read out of the generator output. An issue with the generator voltage regulator or frequency control can cause problems which a external unit cannot see.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 01:25 AM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
As already said by several…
Best to hardwire EMS after the ATS to protect from both ShorePower and Generator over/under voltage & spikes.
That’s the way my rig is set-up with the Progressive 30amp.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:03 AM   #14

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
mine is hardwired
and yes my new transfer switch also has some protections. it does time out , reverse polarity , open grounds

but the hardwired surge guard has all the good stuff and timeout , reverse polarity, over /under volts etc
saved our bacon a few times with weird pedestal power