Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Question Thickness of outside wall

I would like to hang up a secondary towel rack in my bathroom because the single bar isn't enough for 3 people and my wife hates the over door hanger I bought. We found a 5 hanger rack that will fit behind out toilet and the wall seems solid all the way down.

My question is this. Has anyone hung towel racks on the outside wall behind the toilet? I have a 2017 Challenger 37LX. I looked in my cabinets that are hung but cannot see any screws holding them (although they have to be there because the cabinets do not levitate). The screws that came with the rack seem like they might be a tad long and the last thing I want to do is go through the outside wall. The only thing I can try is to put the slide out most of the way and try to gauge how thick the wall is.

If anyone has ever hung a towel rack, could you give me an idea of the length of screw used.

Thanks in advance.

2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I have no idea about your particular model....
but I'd suppose you likely have a door or window on that same wall. Open it and measure.
Mine are fairly thick...if memory serves something like 2 to 2-1/2 inch ballpark.... I just don't remember exactly.
It's got some aluminum square tube frame with a skin on the inner and outer surfaces and a foam core in most areas.

Actually the best thing you could do.. log onto Thor's site ion teh owner's resource area. Nothing there for my older model the last time I checked. maybe you have stuff available for yours. Otherwise, call Thor's customer service and have VIN number handy.
They can tell you exactly, as well as send some drawings that at least roughly show where the frame members are, and wood panels, etc...
Old 03-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The walls are assembled around an aluminum ladder frame of 1 inch square tubing. Balsa and foam filler are used to fill the voids between the plastic skin. Steel backing plates are bonded in where cabinets are hung from the walls. Thor has an excellent video on You-Tube showing a coach build in plant 850. <
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Sorry to split he post but... You can use a magnet to search for the steel plates. The aluminum tubing is soft and doesn't hold machine screws well, but aluminum tubing can be found using a stud finder.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:02 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCampingNut View Post
I would like to hang up a secondary towel rack in my bathroom because the single bar isn't enough for 3 people and my wife hates the over door hanger I bought. We found a 5 hanger rack that will fit behind out toilet and the wall seems solid all the way down.

My question is this. Has anyone hung towel racks on the outside wall behind the toilet? I have a 2017 Challenger 37LX. I looked in my cabinets that are hung but cannot see any screws holding them (although they have to be there because the cabinets do not levitate). The screws that came with the rack seem like they might be a tad long and the last thing I want to do is go through the outside wall. The only thing I can try is to put the slide out most of the way and try to gauge how thick the wall is.

If anyone has ever hung a towel rack, could you give me an idea of the length of screw used.

Thanks in advance.
You can also try completely removing a drawer from one of your base cabinets. If you can see the back of the outside wall, you might also find cutouts for outside speakers, Tv cabinet, etc.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
A trick I have used, as a last resort... Drill a very tiny diameter pilot hole where you are planning to mount the towel rack. Drill it very shallow, just deep enough to go through the wallboard or paneling. Push a rigid piece of wire through the hole until you get the "thud" where it hits the outside wall. Now you know the longest screw you can safely use. If you decide not to go through with the installation, the hole should be tiny enough so it's not a problem to hide.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Why not look for something that can be attached to the wall with some sort of decently-strong adhesive?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I think they are only 1.5 inch thick on most Thor MH. I think Newmar advertizes 2 inch thick.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:59 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
I opted to not attempt to hang a towel rod on the outside wall. Instead, under the cabinet that sits over the toilet, there is plenty of space to hang from that. I will most likely fashion something that screws to the cabinet and then bring down some wood, or wood strips to hang the towel holder. With some nice wood and stain, I can get it looking like it belongs there .... and the wife will be happy. If only I could train her to not use 3 towels when showering
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote